Sport/street Bike Clubs In Thailand?

CroBiker

I lived in Malaysia for 8 years, down there street/sport bikers are very passionate and well organized. Since moving to Thailand in 2001 they have been teasing me about poor state of Thai superbike clubs. In fact I am not sure if there are any such clubs out there, all I see is easy rider, harley clubs etc.... The reason most of them refuse to come for Phuket Bike Week is because they feel kind of unwelcome.

Is there truely such club in Thailand, anyone? if yes, what activities are they involved with, namely charity, group rides etc?

I do not know if there are any Thailand wide clubs, but there are certainly a number of locally based ones. Here in Isaan, I have ridden with, Sakon Kakhon big bike club, and Maha Sarakam bike club, both are mainly sports bike riders. We also have the White Devils, based in Nong Bua Lamphu. Rode last week with some Korat and Pak Chong riders, all on fast sports bikes, while riding with them through Kao Yai we metsome Bangkok riders with the 59 club logo on their bikes. I think their base is a BKK shop.

I guess each area has its own groups of riders, some more organised than others.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I found the same.. Here in sunny Pattaya there seem to be dozens of bike clubs exclusively for Harleys and the leather 'chaps and caps' brigade. But nothing (as far as I know) for other types of bikes.. Really just be good to have an informal club that does a ride out say once a week or twice a Month.. Might have to limit it to bikes of 400cc and above but other than that anybody would be welcome.. Again I may be wrong and a club already exhists ? Only wish is was of a higher profile so I could join up..

DHRIDER and VocalNeal, thanks for your input. I am actually looking for real and organized street/sport motorcycle club not just a message board. I own one of those and trust me, it is 10 times better then that.

I have decided to start the club on my own, based in Phuket obviously. I have pretty good ideas and experience in doing this considering the fact I used to be/still am member in Malaysia and California. If there are any people out there sharing same enthusiasm, please contact me to exchange the ideas.

Edited by CroBiker

Pdaz why limit it to 400cc and above. I have a CBR250 (40+hp) and a CBR150 (17+hp)

but still capable of going 30kms through traffic and lights in 18mins and 26mins respectivly.

its how you ride and that you like riding not just what you ride.... :o

Pdaz why limit it to 400cc and above. I have a CBR250 (40+hp) and a CBR150 (17+hp)

but still capable of going 30kms through traffic and lights in 18mins and 26mins respectivly.

Hi

I am not sure i will agree 100% with you, around town, yes, but try to go from Phuket to CM, or just Hua Hin i 1 day then i think you will be left behind, many clubs even put 600cc as a minimum, not because they don’t like small bikes, but if it is a Turing club you don’t want to wait on somebody, also people there buy big bikes don’t normally buy them as a transport vehicle but to go out and have fun and ride for a whole day, well i do.

Hi

I am not sure i will agree 100% with you, around town, yes, but try to go from Phuket to CM, or just Hua Hin i 1 day then i think you will be left behind, many clubs even put 600cc as a minimum, not because they don’t like small bikes, but if it is a Turing club you don’t want to wait on somebody, also people there buy big bikes don’t normally buy them as a transport vehicle but to go out and have fun and ride for a whole day, well i do.

Well firstly the lack of decent bike clubs is noticeable, unitl you look closely.

Malaysia has a lot more cars than bikes compared to Thailand, thus the minority effect comes into play. You see this in European countries like the UK and Germany etc. Bikes are seen as more exclusive and 'apart from the crowd'.

But it would be good to see some good bike clubs starting up in Thailand with Expats being the majority.

Well I was gonna say I'd be up for joining Croatbiker on a jaunt until I saw the 400cc ++ and above prequisite.

A shame really, I own a CBR-150 and its I need to get me around, it goes pretty fast and corners well. Long-distance is a ok too.

Big bikes are alright apart from the ownership hassles and the exorbant cost for on brand new.

The new Yamaha R6 looks the biz but 400,000 baht +. It's something I'll have to look at again in a few years.

HI

I understand you very well, but believe me you don’t want to go to Hua Hin on a 150 with 5 bikes there is 750cc and up, going 140-160 most of the time, only stop every 200-250km for petrol, you will be very tired on a 150cc, also jeeb dut big time. many times i go Kao Lak just for a beer then turn around back home again in 2-4 hours or Krabi in 3 hours then have lunch and back home, you are very welcome to go on 1 of the trips

I don't have any objections to smaller cc bikes.. I've had couple of great stroker 250's but they are a bit frantic for sustained cruising at 90km/h + speeds.. I have a couple of friends who have toured extensively on a couple of 200cc Honda Faggots Phantoms :D They were reliable and economical bikes and as my mates aren't big guys guess they were comfortable enough..especially being 'cruiser' style. For me being over 6ft tall I need a bigger framed bike to do distance on. Like another poster mentioned over distance smaller cc bike do have trouble keeping up with large capacity machines. Not cos of their power output but because they wear the rider down as he has to ride the bike harder eventually the rider needs a break from all the stress and concentration and slows his speed down. If you have ever done a fast 6 hr ride on a 250cc single you'll know what I mean.. But for mixed riding over a couple of hours I can't see a problem with bikes of any cc (scooters excluded) riding together..

There are three sports bike clubs in the area of Udon and Khan Kean, primarily Thai that might be why your not hooking up. If you want a farrang contact in Khon Kean PM me. There are lots around but they are not looking for you, so you have to do the leg work.

If you read and write Thai lots of internet sites.

There are hundreds of motorcycle clubs in Thailand. The ones I know are big bike, but mixed model, clubs made up of groups of friends. For example, Pythons (in Pattaya) has about 40 members. Most have Harleys, but there are also Yamahas, Kawasakis, Hondas, Triumphs and Ducatis. Mostly cruiser style (not many cafe racer/crotch rocket style bikes).

Many of these guys are business owners, which is part of the reason they formed their own club (net working and socializing). I'm not a member, but ride with them now and then. Some clubs seem to have as few as 4-5 members. Some are more "farang-specific" (as in, for example, The Samurai MC, which oddly enough, is made up of mostly Norwegians, and uses a Viking as their emblem).

Burapa is a pretty big club around here as well (they host the annual Pattaya Bike Week). Again, large bikes of all types.

Trying to keep up with all the different clubs is difficult. I've been to a couple of rallies, and the end they usually have a "plaque swap" where the visiting clubs give a plaque to the host club. Even a small, 1 day event in Rayong in April had reps from over a dozen clubs handing over plaques.

Not many seem to be well organized though. Very few have web sites (in English at least), and the few you can find don't seem to be updated on a regular basis.

While it's nice to be able to ride with a bunch of people you know and are familiar with, it seems most of the clubs aren't too concerned about which club you belong to when it comes to going for a ride. When we went to Bangkok (for the King's Birthday) and then on to Lampang/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai last December, we had people from at least 5 clubs riding with us, plus a couple of "non-affiliateds".

We rode, camped out and partied together like one big family.

I guess the best thing to do is hang around a couple of bike shops in your local area and see who's who in the zoo. A bit of networking, socializing and riding with some of the locals should show you which club(s) may be more to your preference.

Or, like so many seem to do, you may have to start your own. The ThaiVisa MC ! Why not, we had a ThaiVisa football club (I think) at one point. Why not a motorcycle club ?

Hi

I am not sure i will agree 100% with you, around town, yes, but try to go from Phuket to CM, or just Hua Hin i 1 day then i think you will be left behind, many clubs even put 600cc as a minimum, not because they don't like small bikes, but if it is a Turing club you don't want to wait on somebody, also people there buy big bikes don't normally buy them as a transport vehicle but to go out and have fun and ride for a whole day, well i do.

Yes, for that reason I was thinking of limiting minimum size of bike to 500cc. Still, this is not just about the rides alone but doing some community work too, therefore some exceptions should be made on case to case basis. Most of regular MC's do observe speed limits on highways in order to preserve clean image. I am really not into "badass biker" with 1% badge on my jacket lol....got nothing to prove to anyone really. I met some great people in number of countries through these MC's, size of their bikes shouldn't be prevailing factor.

There are hundreds of motorcycle clubs in Thailand. The ones I know are big bike, but mixed model, clubs made up of groups of friends. For example, Pythons (in Pattaya) has about 40 members. Most have Harleys, but there are also Yamahas, Kawasakis, Hondas, Triumphs and Ducatis. Mostly cruiser style (not many cafe racer/crotch rocket style bikes).

Many of these guys are business owners, which is part of the reason they formed their own club (net working and socializing). I'm not a member, but ride with them now and then. Some clubs seem to have as few as 4-5 members. Some are more "farang-specific" (as in, for example, The Samurai MC, which oddly enough, is made up of mostly Norwegians, and uses a Viking as their emblem).

Burapa is a pretty big club around here as well (they host the annual Pattaya Bike Week). Again, large bikes of all types.

Trying to keep up with all the different clubs is difficult. I've been to a couple of rallies, and the end they usually have a "plaque swap" where the visiting clubs give a plaque to the host club. Even a small, 1 day event in Rayong in April had reps from over a dozen clubs handing over plaques.

Not many seem to be well organized though. Very few have web sites (in English at least), and the few you can find don't seem to be updated on a regular basis.

While it's nice to be able to ride with a bunch of people you know and are familiar with, it seems most of the clubs aren't too concerned about which club you belong to when it comes to going for a ride. When we went to Bangkok (for the King's Birthday) and then on to Lampang/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai last December, we had people from at least 5 clubs riding with us, plus a couple of "non-affiliateds".

We rode, camped out and partied together like one big family.

Thais are much better organized then foreigners, undisputable fact. I know bunch of them and on they are the ones who asking me to push and organize nice club in Phuket with view of establishing chapters in other parts of the country in due time. Thailand is fantastic place to go riding around and meeting all other MC's, tons of interesting events to attend to. Not to mention going down to Singapore and Malaysia, very friendly and enthusiastic folks. One of my other talents is web design and this club would have top website, better then anything seen so far in this country. As a matter of fact I am already working on back patch designs and other graphics. We already have a name but I rather not discusse it just yet.

Edited by CroBiker

Check out www.thaiscooter.com . I think this is Thailands biggest web site for bikers.. If you don't mind riding with Thais there are lots of clubs here to suit everyones taste....choppers ,sportsbikes , classics. Only problem is the site is in Thai and takes a bit of navigating but if you get a Thai friend to help you should be able to find a sportsbike club near you.

Ok I know his sounds odd but, it works I know I did it took some time. Just start posting rides yuo want to do get peoples e-mail addresses and it up a ride list. I stayed away from club becuase it becomes limiting. Here in Udon we haev a list of over 40 riders. From that a second list was broken off and taken care of in Khon kean, that is Sports bike riders list.

I still post the rides on the forum so people can hook up as they want. They are out there just no real central location to get them together. The answer in my case was to create one. These days it is gowing by word of mouth.

I wouldn't limit anything develop it and then when there are enough people let someone else handle us old slow guys and you take care of what you like he fast riders. Pretty simple and effective.

I do the notice worrk in Udon, John in Khon Kean takes care of the sports bikes. But I will tell you right up front you will never make evreyine happy. The joy is in the shared experience. I enjoy riding with the Thai's an if yuo really want to know Thailand that is the way to learn.

There are three different clubs represented on the Udon ride list, thats fine. Had nothing to do with the notice list. To many politics in clubs for me. I just enjoy riding with others and could care less what club they belong to. I get invited as do all the other riders to the clubs.

I lived in Malaysia for 8 years, down there street/sport bikers are very passionate and well organized. Since moving to Thailand in 2001 they have been teasing me about poor state of Thai superbike clubs. In fact I am not sure if there are any such clubs out there, all I see is easy rider, harley clubs etc.... The reason most of them refuse to come for Phuket Bike Week is because they feel kind of unwelcome.

Is there truely such club in Thailand, anyone? if yes, what activities are they involved with, namely charity, group rides etc?

there is a hundreds of bike clubs in thailand,there is a wide diversity of different style clubs ,get ride thailand magazine ,this has a list of all the clubs ,most mc clubs are chopper/harley based but plenty of sportsbike clubs too ,streetfighters havent really go going yet in thailand but i reckon it will only take a while and there should be mad looking bikes around. the thai bike scens is one of the best i ever seen,every one parties together ,if you live in phuket go to nickys handle bar ,he speaks good english ,he could give you some good advice..you cant just start up a club with any colour you want ,top n bottom rockers etc in case you might conflict with any one elses colours.the mad dog mc got trouble from ha in europe coz they used red n white,thats just example ......go to sports bike specific shops and you should meet up with other like minded heads.........

there is a hundreds of bike clubs in thailand,there is a wide diversity of different style clubs ,get ride thailand magazine ,this has a list of all the clubs ,most mc clubs are chopper/harley based but plenty of sportsbike clubs too ,streetfighters havent really go going yet in thailand but i reckon it will only take a while and there should be mad looking bikes around. the thai bike scens is one of the best i ever seen,every one parties together ,if you live in phuket go to nickys handle bar ,he speaks good english ,he could give you some good advice..you cant just start up a club with any colour you want ,top n bottom rockers etc in case you might conflict with any one elses colours.the mad dog mc got trouble from ha in europe coz they used red n white,thats just example ......go to sports bike specific shops and you should meet up with other like minded heads.........

Thanks Barry, I know all these guys for years now. Same goes for every bike dealer too and there only handfull of big sport bike dealerships in Phuket and that includes BMW at Thepkasatri Rd.

In past I drove my Hayabusa to Nicky's and people over there looked at me as if I was to declare war on them. They didn't seem to welcome non-chopper riders. Bad attitude came mostly from beer bellied old farts, not younger ones. As far as me taking advice from these guys: consider the fact that I've been in MC's in Europe, USA and Malaysia for 22 years, hardly I could hear someting new from them.

Phuket MC and Sumon are much nicer people but hard to get in touch. Takes ages to get reply from them even if you inquiring to buy a bike let alone anything else.

Thanks Barry, I know all these guys for years now. Same goes for every bike dealer too and there only handfull of big sport bike dealerships in Phuket and that includes BMW at Thepkasatri Rd.

In past I drove my Hayabusa to Nicky's and people over there looked at me as if I was to declare war on them. They didn't seem to welcome non-chopper riders. Bad attitude came mostly from beer bellied old farts, not younger ones. As far as me taking advice from these guys: consider the fact that I've been in MC's in Europe, USA and Malaysia for 22 years, hardly I could hear someting new from them.

Phuket MC and Sumon are much nicer people but hard to get in touch. Takes ages to get reply from them even if you inquiring to buy a bike let alone anything else.

hi crobiker ,yes i know sumon ,he is a nice guy ,he owns westcoast and ride thailand magazine ,do you know lisa russell too ? i was at phuket bike week in april im going back again for pattaya bike week in february and planning on going to lopburi on 31 jan big bike party there,what mc clubs were u in before ? i have a good friend in malaysia his name is atan locklaq of locklaq choppers,really nice guy very helpful,he introduced me to all the head bike people in the thai scene ,jumeen from burapa mc being the main man.heroes end mc is a big club in phuket now too ,3 nations charity bike party is on this weekend in surat tani ,iwas at this 2 years ago ,big crowds there too.....

I met few girls there, can't really remember their names. There was this girl who used to live in Papua NG, not sure if that is Lisa.

I was/am member of clubs in Europe, Malaysia and here in USA (currently working here) and unable to attend 3 nations charity ride which makes me really upset...oh well, better luck next time. You and me should definitely hook-up, let's talk via PM.

I met few girls there, can't really remember their names. There was this girl who used to live in Papua NG, not sure if that is Lisa.

I was/am member of clubs in Europe, Malaysia and here in USA (currently working here) and unable to attend 3 nations charity ride which makes me really upset...oh well, better luck next time. You and me should definitely hook-up, let's talk via PM.

ok crobiker ,sure we can hook up, i will be back in thailand on 23 jan ,im going to pattaya bike week,and maybe lopburi bike party on 31 jan..

This is what really put me off the whole 'biker club' scene when I was knocking about HH. The local harley chapter were a bit too exclusive and elitist if you didn't 'do the harley thing' and were very much expats in the golden cage so to speak. It wasn't hostile, but it wasn't friendly in the slightest.

So I prefer the solo thing most of the time, you are your own man and can do you own thing. :o

The club concept is good for safety in numbers and gathering intel and bike assistance. But for organised rides it seems too 'static' and structured.

Yes, the politics is another kettle of fish, something I've found everywhere there are farang in large numbers.

Edited by JimsKnight