Can I Own The Car

yabaaaa

Im buying a new car in October, can I have it in my name? Ive got a Non O Visa multi entry, I own 2 condos in Bangkok and am married to a Thai national but don't permanently live there just visit for 5 months a year I have an international driving licence not a Thai one, or do I need a work permit? Thanks in advance

Im buying a new car in October, can I have it in my name? Ive got a Non O Visa multi entry, I own 2 condos in Bangkok and am married to a Thai national but don't permanently live there just visit for 5 months a year I have an international driving licence not a Thai one, or do I need a work permit? Thanks in advance

Easy thing to put it in your name.

Just take along proof of address when you buy it.

I would imagine it will be plain sailing for you as dealers in BKK should have experience dealing with foreign buyers before.

You do not need a work permit to purchase a car. Lot's of retirees own cars in their own name. Now if you are talking about getting the car via financing, the WP makes it easier but still not necessary if you put a large enough down payment on it. Offer them cash and suspect a lot of barriers get broken down. :o

Details here > http://www.expatmotors.co.th/paperwork.html

Thanks but I do see that was 3 years ago and wondered if anything had changed recently?

Well, more then 3 years ago you couldn't register under own name but law changed. longball53098 is correct.

Your dealer is ignorant and missinformed. I have non-immigrant type O visa and register cars and motorcycles to my own name without any issues.

Well, more then 3 years ago you couldn't register under own name but law changed. longball53098 is correct.

That's never been the case, at least in the 15 years I've lived here. I've purchased vehicles 15 years ago and another 12 years ago, all in my name and legal. Actually make that over 20 years ago when I first arrived, not an issue.

OK I will be more clear, I am not retired I am 44 yrs old I visit my wife 2-3 times a year I stay NO longer than 90 days I have never done a border run I own 2 condos in my name and 2 in my wifes , we are married legally not temple style. I do not live in my condos i stay at my wifes condo that she rents off another Thai.

So would the chanoe with my name on for 1 of the condos and my 12 month non O visa be all thats needed ?

Thanks

So would the chanoe with my name on for 1 of the condos and my 12 month non O visa be all thats needed ?

Thanks

I guess you didn't look at my link above so will post the information here so it is clear.

"To register a car in your own name you'll need the following:

Passport: copies of the photograph page and current visa page of your passport, a car can registered with any visa, tourist, non-immigrant "O" "B" or retirement visa. (all copies must be signed)

Work Permit: Copies of every page of your work permit (all copies must be signed). For those without a work permit read below.

Embassy Letter: For people without a work permit you'll need to visit your embassy and get a notary document confirming your name and address in Thailand. Typically these documents cost around 1,500 Baht and are easy to obtain, just explain to your embassy that you are purchasing a"

That's never been the case, at least in the 15 years I've lived here. I've purchased vehicles 15 years ago and another 12 years ago, all in my name and legal. Actually make that over 20 years ago when I first arrived, not an issue.

I was referring to non-immigrant type "O" visa holders, not those with work permits. More then 3-4 years ago in Phuket they wouldn't let me register brand new car under my own name. Then I bought Benz and Phuket dealership did all the work for me. Yet, i've been holder of this visa since 2000.

Edited by CroBiker

Thanks

I guess you didn't look at my link above so will post the information here so it is clear.

"To register a car in your own name you'll need the following:

Passport: copies of the photograph page and current visa page of your passport, a car can registered with any visa, tourist, non-immigrant "O" "B" or retirement visa. (all copies must be signed)

Work Permit: Copies of every page of your work permit (all copies must be signed). For those without a work permit read below.

Embassy Letter: For people without a work permit you'll need to visit your embassy and get a notary document confirming your name and address in Thailand. Typically these documents cost around 1,500 Baht and are easy to obtain, just explain to your embassy that you are purchasing a"

Yes i read it thanks but can i only get this document confirming my name and address in Thailand actually IN Thailand or can I do it at a UK Consulate ie HULL as I am NOW in the UK but will return to Thailand on the 6th of October the new car is due for delivery on the 10th of October?

It doesn't really matter if you PAY cash you can put it in whomever name. When I bought my 4X4 two years ago they(the saleman/lady) were talk trash about putting it my wife name, told them I was paying cash, after a few SECONDs at the boss desk, their tune change to not a problem SIR. No problem as long as you pay the cash, have a valid driver lincene(which you have) and liability insurance, which is require by Thai law. My take was other than cash, lincene and insurance nobody really care whose name the car is in. Sound like you were getting Hogwash on the visa/work permit thing from an uninform person. :o:D

Yes i read it thanks but can i only get this document confirming my name and address in Thailand actually IN Thailand or can I do it at a UK Consulate ie HULL as I am NOW in the UK but will return to Thailand on the 6th of October the new car is due for delivery on the 10th of October?

The UK Consulate you are referring to (Hull) is a Thai consulate and you need to get it from the UK Embassy/Consulate in Thailand. It only takes an hour or two or less for them to get you one since it is a standard request.

By the way Yabaaaa, I am guessing if you own 2 condos, in Bangkok and married to a Thai lady, paying cash shouldn't be a problem.

The UK Consulate you are referring to (Hull) is a Thai consulate and you need to get it from the UK Embassy/Consulate in Thailand. It only takes an hour or two or less for them to get you one since it is a standard request.

Thanks now my next question is can my wife if she takes her marriage cerificate and a COPY of my passport and the chanote of my condo in my name do this for me or MUST i go in person as I am now in the UK. How soon does a car dealer need this letterie before delivery of car 1 day 1 hour?? sorry is is so drawn out :o

Thanks now my next question is can my wife if she takes her marriage cerificate and a COPY of my passport and the chanote of my condo in my name do this for me or MUST i go in person as I am now in the UK. How soon does a car dealer need this letterie before delivery of car 1 day 1 hour?? sorry is is so drawn out :D

Maybe I am off the mark here, but may I ask(suggest) why don't you just wait until you are in Thailand on 6 Oct 08 to buy the car? My guess it would save you a hold lot of hassle, not to mention the paperwork. :o:D

Thanks now my next question is can my wife if she takes her marriage cerificate and a COPY of my passport and the chanote of my condo in my name do this for me or MUST i go in person as I am now in the UK. How soon does a car dealer need this letterie before delivery of car 1 day 1 hour?? sorry is is so drawn out :o

The "possible" alternative to the above scenario is to get the address certification from immigration here and believe the above documents (wifes and yours) are all that are needed for it. However, I can't guarantee they will except that. Have your wife check the dealership if that is acceptable. Also, the letter just needs to be at the dealer for any documentation finalization which could be the pickup day.

//edit - correction, the embassy will not give you the letter without your presence and probably the same at immigration. Sorry, but you are making it more complicated then it really is.

I was referring to non-immigrant type "O" visa holders, not those with work permits. More then 3-4 years ago in Phuket they wouldn't let me register brand new car under my own name. Then I bought Benz and Phuket dealership did all the work for me. Yet, i've been holder of this visa since 2000.

You are still wrong as it has been possible also with "Non O" for a long time. I do however not doubt the problems you had 3-4 years in Phuket - this is Thailand as I am sure you are aware of. :o

Edited by tominchaam

Hello,

I have only a Touristvisa, I have children in Thailand, stay also long time, sometime 9 month in one year here in T. but my Austrian Thai embassy, does only give me a Tourist V. with 3 entries.

So how I manage to get a car or bike in my name registred?

With my last car, I drive now, in the name of my Ex-girlftiend i have already problems.

She gave the green book to GE and took 380.000.- B.

I do not know what will happen after I payed the sum back.

Kind regards A.

I went to the local immigration office and asked for a form/letter to be able to buy a car. They copied my passport with my non-immigrant B visa, took 2 photos, and 20 mins, 650 baht later I walked out with the document that the Nissan dealer wanted. Truck is registered in my name, no problem at all.

Same same. Told the only visa you CAN'T buy a vehicle with is tourist visa. Think your dealer's complicating matters, change dealer. My last one tried pulling the wool over my eyes, had ex-missus signing allsorts of forms, I'm getting worked up, placating me just various insurance forms could only be signed by Thais, carefully turning the bottom of each page so couldn't make out a dam_n thing for each signature, spotted the delivery note, look the same in any country. Went up the wall, flurry of paperwork, tipp-ex, pickup in my name and one newly ex-missus by the time dropped her home. Live & learn!