Tourist Numbers In Koh Samui

mssabai

One of the reasons that you are seeing less people is all the construction going on. On TNP last year you could barely get away from all the noise on Yai. Had Rin same thing and no type of compansation for the poor suckers who pre-pay for their holiday on the beach to arrive and find a construction zone next to their room.

People are going home and telling all their friends and travel agents. We had people all last year coming to our area complaining about it.

Just got back from samui again. Been going to thailand 3-4 times a year for a long time now and have never seen it so quiet. I have a good set of expat friends whom I go drinking with. It was quite apparent their bars and the bars we went to are seeing an even quieter quiet season but i would put this down to the economy in the uk rather than troubles with the government. Some have had to go home to work for a few months.

Familes will be the first to stop going long haul as the prices have gone up considerably for package holidays and the wealth feel good factor has gone in the uk for sure. Single people may be a bit more care free with holidays but only if they have a job and are secure in it which is diminishing also in the uk, my friends in the construction industry are on their arse at the moment and probably will be for a long time. Many expats I know have only been in thailand and seen the good times with regards to tourists and their money, i doubt they have saved for the real rainy days which will be here for a couple of years at the very least. I'm sure people will still be going but how much they have in their pockets to spend is sure to be reduced or number of holidays may be reduced. Cue more people drinking outside 7-11 :o

I'm sure it is more complicated than this but there are my two pennies worth :D

The above could be my words

One of the reasons that you are seeing less people is all the construction going on. On TNP last year you could barely get away from all the noise on Yai. Had Rin same thing and no type of compansation for the poor suckers who pre-pay for their holiday on the beach to arrive and find a construction zone next to their room.

People are going home and telling all their friends and travel agents. We had people all last year coming to our area complaining about it.

I agree with this - since I bought my house in 2003 and visit 3 times a year - not one time have I not been subjected to building activities

Still - at least have the Big C near by for those essentials!

I'm sure this has had an impact on tourists visiting - I know that at sometime there will be nothing left to build on so until then I'll just have to go the bars and get pxxxxx during my stays!