O-a Retirement Visa Extension

I just thought I have understood all the rules re retirement visas, when I hit another thing I don't comprehend :o

I have made an O-A Retirement Visa in Sydney Australia Issue date 31 Jan 2007 valid for entry until 30 Jan 2008. Entered LOS 1/3/2007 had a stamp until 28/2/2008, OK so far so good this is clear. On 23/1/2008 I went to Myanmar and got a stamp until 22/1/2009. This also is clear. When I left for Australia on 6/7/2008 I got a reentry permit at the airport valid until 22/1/2009. OK also clear but now when I returned to LOS on 27/7/2008 they stamped me "admitted until 27/7/2009"??? This is what I do not understand, does this visa go on forever for one year if I leave Thailand before expiry??? Would be nice, but I do not think so :D . Thanks for any comments etc

The immigration officer made a mistake when you entered Thailand on 27 JUL 2008.

If on your arrival card you wrote the details of your non-O-A visa the officer should have seen that the visa was expired and he should have given you only a 30-day visa-exempt entry stamp.

If you wrote the details of your re-entry permit on the arrival card the immigration officer should have given you an entry stamp with permission to stay until 22 JAN 2009.

--

Maestro

The immigration officer made a mistake when you entered Thailand on 27 JUL 2008.

If on your arrival card you wrote the details of your non-O-A visa the officer should have seen that the visa was expired and he should have given you only a 30-day visa-exempt entry stamp.

If you wrote the details of your re-entry permit on the arrival card the immigration officer should have given you an entry stamp with permission to stay until 22 JAN 2009.

--

Maestro

Thank you very much for the comments Maestro! My thoughts were that I should have been admitted until 22 Jan 2009. Question is now that I have the stamp admited until Jul 2009 in my passport is this valid?

It is difficult to say what would happen if for example you left Thailand in June 2009 with that stamp and the immigration officer at that point noticed the error made by his colleague with your last entry stamp. I consider it likely that he would fine you for having overstayed after 22 JAN 2009. My advice is to go to the immigration office and have them look at it. They will then probably correct the entry stamp.

--

Maestro

From past posts on here. It is your responsibility to check your Immigration Stamps. It is my opinion that you would be on Overstay if you stayed after 22 Jan. Get them to correct the mistake.

Thank you all very much Maestro & Lite Beer. I think I will apply for a reentry next month and see if this will possibly be granted to July 09 or Jan 09. I will update the post once I know