Possible To Avoid Leaving Country On O Visa?

I have a friend who has a multiple entry O visa (1 year). I thought that she has to leave the country every 90 days and then re-enter. However she seems to believe that she can just go to the immigration and get a stamp there? Is this possible and legal?

No. Unless it is part of the Elite Card program. The multi entry O visa obtained at a Consulate allows stay of 90 days and you must then exit the country and return to get another 90 day stay. It is not designed for living in Thailand long term - only for family visits and such.

But also be aware than many on one year extension of stay from immigration and re-entry permits sometimes call it a multi entry visa and for them they do have to report their address every 90 days so that could also be the situation.

That sounds about right - many thanks Lopburi.

What about these companies which say that they can take your passport and give you an exit and entry visa - sounds risky to me but was wondering if anyone had ever used one?

Dont even think about it............it aint worth the risk.

Was not aware any were still in business. If your passport is stamped without you leaving the country with it you could end up in jail awaiting deportation and fines. There has been a big crackdown on them. Nobody should ever use them.

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/

- Please beware of a person who claims to render assistance in visa extension at immigration bureau. Such act is illegal.

- Any inquiry or witness any act relating to such matter please contact [email protected]

- If you wish to stay in Thailand after your visa has expired, contact the nearest immigration unit in person for advice.

- Do not belive those who claim that they can assist you to get immigration stamps without actual travel in and out of the kingdom. Such act is illegal and you will be prosecuted in accordance with immigration law.

- Foreigners travelling from Cambodia to Thailand through Khlong Luek border pass cannot obtain visa on arrival at this point of entry.

- Visa that have not been obtained by the traveller personally are considered incomplete documents. The passport holder will not be allowed to stay in Thailand according to the visa but only according to the rights of the nationality of the passport holder.

- Foreigners crossing into Thailand from Cambodia must have valid a exit stamp from the Cambodian immigration authorities in their passport.

- Foreigners entering Thailand without having their travel documents checked will be considered illegal immigrants and are subject to prosecution according to Thai immigration laws.

What is now done are bus runs to border points for those needing to renew entry. Thus the person does cross border and re-enters in a legal manner.

I hate to disagree again with Lopburi3 but Blake7's friend is correct. Absolutely and definitely - providing the holder can demonstrate she is in fact utilising the visa for the purpose for which was issued.

Entering Thailand with a 1 year multi O (I exclude 0-A where the full 365 days are granted on arrival), the holder will initially be granted 90 days. The holder may then report within the 90 days to immigration where the stay can be extended to the full year. No need to exit the country. Extension is at immigration officers discretion.

Interesting to know on what grounds the visa was issued.

^ But she'll only get further extensions if she's showing a little something extra (money, etc.), won't she? Or is this one of them easier said than done kind of things? I doubt very much that if she just goes to Imm with her passport and asks for a further 90 days to a year she'll get it, in fact I'll sportsmans' bet you she won't, UNLESS she shows money, marriage or something like that!

I hate to disagree again with Lopburi3 but Blake7's friend is correct. Absolutely and  definitely - providing the holder can demonstrate she is in fact utilising the visa for the purpose for which was issued.

Entering Thailand with a 1 year multi O (I exclude 0-A where the full 365 days are granted on arrival), the holder will initially be granted 90 days. The holder may then report within the 90 days to immigration where the stay can be extended to the full year. No need to exit the country. Extension is at immigration officers discretion.

Interesting to know on what grounds the visa was issued.

It'd be just as interesting to know what grounds the one year extension could be applied for or granted.

Dr,

Easy. On the same grounds the original I year visa was granted.

The responses in this post seems to assume Blakes friend is not aware of the requirements she must fulfil financial or otherwise. If there was not a reasonable chance of this the consulate would not have issued a one year visa.

Remember it is not the visa holder who started this post - it is a doubting friend.

Please Blake7. elicit more info from your friend. I am intrigued.

Dr,

The responses in this post seems to assume Blakes friend is not aware of the requirements she must fulfil financial or otherwise. If there was not a reasonable chance of this the consulate would not have issued a one year visa.

Remember it is not the visa holder who started this post - it is a doubting friend.

Amazing, just amazing;

I have been through this from about 5 different angles with immigration and only one works. The legal one.

Well the two things that were very clearly spelt out to me by immigration for the 1 year extension.

1. Actually Married and living together - Police Verify

2. 400,000 Baht in the Bank

The Embassy doesn't care. If your wife writes a letter saying "Oh I want my husband to Join me" you have a copy of your Certificate and her ID Card thats all the embassy wants.

Whet the Embassy does and what the Immigration people do are seperate.

If there was not a reasonable chance of this the consulate would not have issued a one year visa.

Yes, many Consulates would give you a multiple Non-imm O even if you had zero chance of getting it extended!

Matt is spot on with what he's said (although generally it's the Consulates that are generous with Visas rather than the Embassies per se!).

Edited by kenkannif

Dr,

Amazing, just amazing;

I have been through this from about 5 different angles with immigration and only one works. The legal one.

Well the two things that were very clearly spelt out to me by immigration for the 1 year extension.

The Embassy doesn't care. If your wife writes a letter saying "Oh I want my husband to Join me" you have a copy of your Certificate and her ID Card thats all the embassy wants.

or over 50 retirement with 800,000 in the bank :o

Dr,

Amazing, just amazing;

3. Having a work permit on a non'O' can get you the full extension too.

If there was not a reasonable chance of this the consulate would not have issued a one year visa.

Yes, many Consulates would give you a multiple Non-imm O even if you had zero chance of getting it extended!

Matt is spot on with what he's said (although generally it's the Consulates that are generous with Visas rather than the Embassies per se!).

That is quite true Ken. Plenty get multi's abroad and on reasonably valid based reasons (mostly), but they don't have the funds to qualify for the extensions so they walk every 90 days.

Everything everybody has said since my last post is correct.

I suspect many consulates issue O visas too easily.

Yes, they can be issued for those seeking employment rather than having a formal offer of work. Yes, they can be issued for retirement or marriage without proof of income. And yes there must be many farangs who end up by having to leave the country. Shame.

But everybody seems to assume the girl/woman in question doesn't know or understand or cannot fulfill the requirements for extension. Patronising?

There are many sob storys and instances of genuine concern in this forum but I suggest the MAJORITY of people coming to Thailand to stay long term have no difficulties, know the score and have no problems with immigration or visa extensions.

There are many sob storys and instances of genuine concern in this forum but I suggest the MAJORITY of people coming to Thailand to stay long term have no difficulties, know the score and have no problems with immigration or visa extensions.

I think its also a question of the type of people who get a Non-O. If you have gone to the effort )in my case) to marry a Thai National, there is alot of commitment to many things, so properly getting your visa fixed is just another thing to deal with in your day to day life.

You hopeflly also get the support of your family etc etc, so you have a social network.

This may not be the same with other types of Visa holders....

Everything everybody has said since my last post is correct.

I suspect many consulates issue O visas too easily.

Yes, they can be issued for those seeking employment rather than having a formal offer of work. Yes, they can be issued for retirement or marriage without proof of income. And yes there must be many farangs who end up by having to leave the country. Shame.

But everybody seems to assume the girl/woman in question doesn't know or understand or cannot fulfill the requirements for extension. Patronising?

It might be nice then if you didn't reach conclusions about extensions, and excite those with lesser knowledge on this forum.

My friend is married to another farang who is here on a multi entry B visa but who travels abroad enough on business not to have to make special visa runs etc. However since he does not have a work permit or residency I would imagine this may cause problems at Immigration when she applies for the extension?

I now concede that, following the additional information supplied, it is unlikely any extension will be granted, and indeed it appears that an O visa should not have been issued. It would also suggest that the husband is working illegally here. But here I go again jumping to conclusions.

However I refute the good Doctor's assertion that I have previously jumped to conclusions. I merely gave THE CORRECT answer to the original question.

All too often in this forum contributors fail to answer the actual question asked, and thereby unintentionaly give misleading information.

Perhaps I should adopt the Doctors stance that everybody posting a question is an idiot. But I will not.

Doc---I was issued a mutiple entry O a while back. The use by date on the stamp is july 2005. The reason I gave for the O on the visa application is for a lenthly tour of the kingdom and some dental work. I am not over 50 nor married. The way it sounds 300,000bt which would be in the form of American express travlers checks is not sufficent for mutiple entries??? Diddent plan on putting the money in a thai bank eather. If I have 300,000 can I just do a border crossing every 90 days? Where does Imm. make that determination---Airport? Can anyone please advise?----Is it 400,000 and married?

Doc---I was issued a mutiple entry O a while back. The use by date on the stamp is july 2005. The reason I gave for the O on the visa application is for a lenthly tour of the kingdom and some dental work. I am not over 50 nor married. The way it sounds 300,000bt which would be in the form of American express travlers checks is not sufficent for mutiple entries??? Diddent plan on putting the money  in a thai bank eather. If I have 300,000 can I just do a border crossing every 90 days? Where does Imm. make that determination---Airport? Can anyone please advise?----Is it 400,000 and married?

You can cross borders every 90 days with the visa you have, with last entry in July 2005 letting you stay until October 2005. You should have 20,000 baht/travelers checks, if single, every time you cross border to show if asked. There is no requirement for 300k and the 400k/marriage is for one year extensions of stay inside Thailand; not for border crossings.

Marshy,

Can we assume you haven't yet utilised the visa? If you may looks like you may already be on overstay

In your case money is not an issue.

If you come as a tourist you must leave after 90 days and re-enter. If you apply for an extension on this basis you will be denied and the visa cancelled.

If you find paid work as a dentist (unlikely - Thailand exports medicos not imports them) you will need to obtain a work permit and obtain a cat B visa. Chances of doing this in country in 90 days is zilch. So yes you must leave on or before 90 days then re-enter.

Or (and this is not facetious) are you intending to work up country offering your services free as a dentist? In this instance Immigration will give consideration to an extension to the 90 days as a voluntary worker but go talk to them as soon as you arrive.

No doubt the good doctor will correct me.

Lopburi3---- Thanks for the reply, one more question---I was told by the consulate that the O mutiple was good for 1 yr + 3 mo. from the date of entry into Thailand not the date the consulate stamped the passport They indicated that it mearly must be used by July 27 2005, are they mistaken?

Lopburi3---- Thanks for the reply, one more question---I was told by the consulate that the O mutiple was good for 1 yr + 3 mo. from the date of entry into Thailand not the date the consulate stamped the passport They indicated that it mearly must be used by July 27 2005, are they mistaken?

Correct in that you can enter at the end of the visa and obtain another 90 day. The last entry just has to be before it expires.

Go to Thai Immigration in Bangkok on Suan Plu. Get the information directly from them so you don't get mis-imformation.

The original multiple "0" requires exiting Thailand every 90 days. Fulfilling the requirements for an extension which vary depending on the circumstances still require reporting to Immigration ever 90 days even though exiting the country may not be requred.

I am travelling in Thailand with a business partner to investigate import to Ireland of ceramics. Looks promising.but for the red tape. Expect to have to return several times no visitwill exceed 90 days.

I obtained an 1 year O visa from Dublin consulate by post. My partner obtained his from RTC Cardiff in person. At the time we didn't know exactly when we'd leave for Thailand.

We were both advised, me over the phone, and he in person that visa must first be used with 6 months or we'd have to reapply. At the time we didn't know how.

I have just che checked Dublin and Cardiff websites which confirm what we were told.

Maybe Muenwai is correct. Take a look