Floods

Lickey

The pics were taken at 9am yesterday on the 212 Namsom to Ban Phue main road, as far as the eye could see was water,all the water was covering rice paddies, the closest to the road looked like they suffered the most, we could see the new rice stalks being washed away,

6 hours later on the way home, the road was more passable, and all the locals were fishing with the 2mtr sq nets, we stopped and bought some baby fish, 3kilo,50bht, [camera batteries finished] we saw some farmers daming the flow, not completely but to slow it down so the water did not upset the rice so much,

Mrs tells me that if the young rice is submerged for 3/4 days it will die, no sunlight,

I really feel sorry for those poor buggers who rely on the 1 crop a year to live on.

post-41116-1221684011_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1221684034_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1221684048_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1221684066_thumb.jpg

Lickey; your wife probably knows best now ask her if rice in bloom can make with rain fall like we are getting now? Wife called last night and said govt irrigration water was cut off 5 days ago. No one seems to know why and she is on track of someone to chew on them a bit. ha. We have irrigration well but she says govt water does not require gasoline to pump and it should be avaliable, I just say yes dear do what you will. We have about 18 rai of rice in Fang area and its is raining every other day or so. One area flooded another no water, welcome to farming huh.

Irrigation projects are rarely managed at all. It becomes a first come first take deal. We have a large government pond, (maybe five rai) about 500 meters from our farm. Another farmer has his about the same distance from the large pond. He has more or less a permanent pumping setup. He keeps his own leaky pond filled up even during the dry season. Last year he managed to pump that five rai government pond dry. No one else got any water. It appeared that he didn't need the water but he didn't want anyone else to have any. He has gone so far as to encroach on the road by digging a surface ditch for the water flow. I was VERY tempted to take my tractor and blade, push the dirt off the road and fill in his ditch. I overcame the temptation and decided that it is the local government's job to take care of the greedy bastard.

Slapout, Mrs says not to worry once the flowers are on , it would take a tsunami to shift them, and of course drainage is very important.

Gary, you talked about a borehole last year, did you do one under the anthill?

Weve had so much rain that water is now coming out of the borehole liner, 23mtr deep, its at the bottom of our hillside farm.

Cheers Lickey,,

Slapout, Mrs says not to worry once the flowers are on , it would take a tsunami to shift them, and of course drainage is very important.

Gary, you talked about a borehole last year, did you do one under the anthill?

Weve had so much rain that water is now coming out of the borehole liner, 23mtr deep, its at the bottom of our hillside farm.

Cheers Lickey,,

No bore hole. We decided that the next time the pond is pumped dry to get an excavator in and deepen it. Had the first thief done the job the way he promised, we would have no problems.