Easy Way To Supplement Low Teacher Incomes

agordon

I've seen this new site [PM the opening poster for details] in Australia, basically you put up sleeping space like a couch or a spare room and people traveling in your area can book a night there and pay you. There's no fees, like a few other sites that do the same thing. Accommodation is pretty cheap in Thailand, but if you charge like half the price a hotel does for a couch or airbed (cos most backpackers just want a place to store their stuff and sleep, not really stay in a hotel all night) you could make a semi-decent income supplement every week.

And when you wake up in the morning to find your new boarder has left in the night with a considerable portion of your furnishings, your dvds, your laptop, etc, etc, maybe you will see the folly of allowing strangers into your home. They may just copy the key and come back in a week, who knows? But hey, you got 400 baht.

None for me, thanks.

'nuff said

~

And when you wake up in the morning to find your new boarder has left in the night with a considerable portion of your furnishings, your dvds, your laptop, etc, etc, maybe you will see the folly of allowing strangers into your home. They may just copy the key and come back in a week, who knows? But hey, you got 400 baht.

None for me, thanks.

'nuff said

~

Yes, this involves doing more than just letting these people stay in your place. On a related note, couch-surfing is very interesting and becoming popular. There have been some stories on it.

You're letting strangers stay in your place. Most folks are good, but you have to be prepared for certain issues. They are travelers. They come home very late and very drunk? How do you deal with that. Would you leave them in your home while you go to work or out?

None for me, thanks.

'nuff said

~

Yes, this involves doing more than just letting these people stay in your place. On a related note, couch-surfing is very interesting and becoming popular. There have been some stories on it.

You're letting strangers stay in your place. Most folks are good, but you have to be prepared for certain issues. They are travelers. They come home very late and very drunk? How do you deal with that. Would you leave them in your home while you go to work or out?

yeah its always a risk, but you know... crossing the road is a risk, online dating is a risk, buying on ebay is a risk...

There is a feedback function like eBay, and if you are a host, you have to confirm a guest booking first anyway. I probably wouldn't give them a key - most travelers just want somewhere to crash for a night and a place to leave their stuff.

Wrong Turn - yes, it's just like couch surfing which is pretty common and has a lot of users, except you can probably expect the places to be a tad nicer, since they aren't being given away for free.

Edited by agordon

eh, I don't think it's that bad. You can choose who you want to stay over, so you can list that you only want visiting english teachers, for example, or people on language exchange. It's not like you are actually a hotel that accepts every ragtag smelly backpacker.