Tot Adsl Is It Bad ?

WHITESAND

Today TOT came around to my wifes internet shop on Koh Chang and offered ADSL. Free connection. 500 baht 256/128, 700 baht 512/256 and 1000 baht 1,024/512. We currently use iptv and its not the best but ok. Would international bandwith in fact be much slower? What do you think in general to TOT ADSL? Worth a try or are we setting ourselves up for trouble? Advice appreciated.

I am located in Korat and have just recently connected to TOT 256/128 ADSL. I am generally disappointed as I expected much faster results than I was used to with "Shark Attack" 390 Baht dialup. What I would be checking is the actual download speeds of a given file from a given site at a given time. Its true that I am occasionally seeing quite fast downloads (12-20kbs) but sometimes it is shocking and as low as 2kbs. Seems to depend on where the site is actually located (as it does with any connection). But it all comes down to alternatives. Check what you have now and then go and check what they can offer you (actual real life download speeds from a known fast server).

What TOT is offering is just an adsl connection on you telephone line.

You still need an isp and the overall result depends on the isp and how well

they are connected to the rest of the world.

The cost and conditions vary quite a lot from isp to isp.

Here in Chonburi TOT adsl is reckoned to be better than TT&T.

Better backbone network.

Also cheaper 500 baht vs 1400 for TT&T

TOT adsl and isp come in package, they will give you both for the price mention above, just remember that they won't help you with anything once you sign up, you're on your own, as for using tot or not, i would say not go for TRUE if you have a chance, if TRUE doesn't have in your area, well you have no choice.

i have TOT adsl for the last 9-10 month now, got it since they first came out with adsl, at that time there were no TRUE adsl or any other company with a reasonable price, my package at that time was 512/256 for 500baht a month. TOT is very slow now aday compare to TRUE, TRUE even out beat them on price.

TOT adsl and isp come in package, they will give you both for the price mention above

Not in my experience so far.

TOT ADSL is just the line converted to adsl.

I asked about ISP's to complete the package and got blank looks.

TT&T on the other hand gives a list of ISP's who work with their service.

It is a week since applied to TOT and they still have not been to test the line to confirm if connection is possible.

Next week..............

That is what they said last week, and again this week.

TOT does have the complete package, comparable with Hinet where TT&T is both adsl provider and isp.

Check out their promo (in Thai only)

http://203.154.210.35/index.htm and click on the promotion tab on the left hand side

You can see the price for yourself, they also mention that this is international internet access, that no technical service is provided, you have to set up your modem yourself and that the system can not be used for gaming...

You have to pay a 1000 Baht set-up fee as well

You can buy a usb modem from them for 600 Baht, a modem/router for 1200 Baht and a wireless modem/access point for 3000 Baht. No details...

They accept subscriptions till 31 december and service runs till 31 may next year...

I went to ask for this at the local TOT office several months ago, where nobody even knew of the existence of such service... Go figure...state enterprises :o