Examples Of Improvisation In Thailand

Tyke

Today I saw a human pile driver that reminded me of how well Thais are at improvisation. Whilst more economically developed nationals admire technological invention and innovation, they are losing their ability to improvise. Thais are still able to 'make do' with little and often still manage to achieve the same result in many cases. Here are a couple of improvisations I've seen in Thailand - please add more:

1. A human pile driver consisting of a plank of wood laid over the post - 6 Thai guys (yes 6!) climb on top and jump up and down. The post went into the ground in seconds and they moved onto the next post. It would have taken much longer even with dedicated machinery in the west, albeit with less labour.

2. Small plastic bags on a stick to keep flies off fish in markets - sometimes they are automated with small motors.

3. CD discs used as reflectors on vehicles.

Any more?

This may be used all over the world, but the only time I've seen it was here: using a transparent tube containing water (about 10 metres long) to check some building work was dead level.

Most likely explains why rooms , doorways and windows are so often out of 'Square' , i have watched them discard a 'Spirit' level in favour of the tube method , do not need any ghosts in our houses .

This may be used all over the world, but the only time I've seen it was here: using a transparent tube containing water (about 10 metres long) to check some building work was dead level.

Most likely explains why rooms , doorways and windows are so often out of 'Square' , i have watched them discard a 'Spirit' level in favour of the tube method , do not need any ghosts in our houses .

Jeez--never thought of it like that--brilliant.

BTW--the tube PLUS a plumbob--i.e. a piece of string with a weight on it-are equally as exact/efficient as a 'Spirit' level.

Edited by haybilly

Not only all over the world--but way back--Romans did it!

Did they invent the transparent tube as well?

Water leveling for horizontal and a plumb bob for vertical are still as accurate as you can find, I still use them today.

Also water and tube is used to measure pressure, (inches water column) for very low pressures such as in gas installation where you are measuring ounces per sq inch.

The longer the tube, the more accurate the measurement of evenness as well as level. Seems the short spirit level is OK for convenience but only measures level over a short distance (the length of the instrument). Seems to me that using one 10 meters long is far more accurate. Think about it for a while.

The longer the tube, the more accurate the measurement of evenness as well as level. Seems the short spirit level is OK for convenience but only measures level over a short distance (the length of the instrument). Seems to me that using one 10 meters long is far more accurate. Think about it for a while.

How about a long straight-edge with the level on top , no drooping in the middle , also a square would be handy . The water in a tube is also used for balancing carburators at idle speed , one for each carb and a calibrated board for accuracy .

when we received our production machine, several tons heavy 4-5 people with an very old high truck came.

I thought no way to unload it.

they needed a day but could move it in with just some wood....

Only a day eh ? Think of the money the machine could have made in a day , oh sorry , you saved on the cheap labour , isn't that how the ancient Egyptians moved heavy weights ? Now that is what i call progress !!!!!!