Ultra Portable Pcs: Asus, Acer, Msi

Richb2004v2

Just bought my EEEpc at Tesco, it's on offer for 12K or something alike.

900 series with 30 GB HD, comes with linux, but installed XP on it.

Works like a charm and picks up wireless rather good.

Seems like most people advise to upgrade to 2GB internal though.

Just bought the same (Mall Ram, 11000 B with XP).

Turned out completely useless:

Very slow (never mind, just drink some coffee between the key strokes).

Waaaay too heavy to carry it around all day. I just moved it 4 times, now it's gathering dust on a shelf. Not suitable for a mobile worker. This makes it useless for me.

Picks up WiFi very well - what I didn't know is, WiFi is useless. Out of 3 places that I was interested in 2 don't have WiFi at all, 1 has 54 ThaiMb/sec which is the speed of a dial up modem. OK to read an email in an emergency (go to toilet between keystrokes, coffee is not enough) but not suitable to surf the net. This makes the ASUS useless again.

I will probably just throw it away, maybe give it to the kids.

BTW Keyboard is fine. Battery is 5800 mAh, quite ok, lasts about 2-3 hours (if you don't actually use the notebook).

Surely the 900 model, which I assume you have, is only 1Kg approx. I can't imagine there are too many laptop computers that are lighter. It seems to be a little bigger then a novel. What did you expect, a PC the size of a fag packet?

What do you mean wi-fi is useless? I am using wi-fi now and it is great. I think that what you mean is that the wi-fi connection you have been using are useless. If the places you want to use it in doesn't have wi-fi you can hardly apportion the blame to your laptop. Your review of the machine is completely unfounded. Even if you were using the best laptop money can buy if there is either no wi-fi connection or only a very poor one you will have a slow connection. However if you want to get rid of the machine that badly I will gladly take if off your hands.

thrown away

the biggest peace of shit i have ever had

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought my EEEpc at Tesco, it's on offer for 12K or something alike.

900 series with 30 GB HD, comes with linux, but installed XP on it.

Works like a charm and picks up wireless rather good.

Seems like most people advise to upgrade to 2GB internal though.

Just bought the same (Mall Ram, 11000 B with XP).

Turned out completely useless:

Very slow (never mind, just drink some coffee between the key strokes).

Waaaay too heavy to carry it around all day. I just moved it 4 times, now it's gathering dust on a shelf. Not suitable for a mobile worker. This makes it useless for me.

Picks up WiFi very well - what I didn't know is, WiFi is useless. Out of 3 places that I was interested in 2 don't have WiFi at all, 1 has 54 ThaiMb/sec which is the speed of a dial up modem. OK to read an email in an emergency (go to toilet between keystrokes, coffee is not enough) but not suitable to surf the net. This makes the ASUS useless again.

I will probably just throw it away, maybe give it to the kids.

BTW Keyboard is fine. Battery is 5800 mAh, quite ok, lasts about 2-3 hours (if you don't actually use the notebook).

Surely the 900 model, which I assume you have, is only 1Kg approx. I can't imagine there are too many laptop computers that are lighter. It seems to be a little bigger then a novel. What did you expect, a PC the size of a fag packet?

What do you mean wi-fi is useless? I am using wi-fi now and it is great. I think that what you mean is that the wi-fi connection you have been using are useless. If the places you want to use it in doesn't have wi-fi you can hardly apportion the blame to your laptop. Your review of the machine is completely unfounded. Even if you were using the best laptop money can buy if there is either no wi-fi connection or only a very poor one you will have a slow connection. However if you want to get rid of the machine that badly I will gladly take if off your hands.

BTW what did i expect?

i expected a PC the size of the Sony Vaio P (i am not saying the Vaio P is any good, just talking about the size)

about the WiFi ur right

sorry im just a user, and with all u guys claiming that there is WiFi everywhere (and with most apartments in BKK now claiming to have WiFi) i didnt realize that people who want to use WiFi usually will travel to Gullivers

BTW what did i expect?

i expected a PC the size of the Sony Vaio P (i am not saying the Vaio P is any good, just talking about the size)

so did you have your eyes closed when you bought it then had an unfortunate surprise when you opened the box at home :o

thrown away

the biggest peace of shit i have ever had

you didn't really have one in the first place, did you uhuh? :D

I'm looking to upgrade my 701 that is playing up after lots of journeys and bashes. I like the look of the samsung, but can't seem to find one. I would go for a Asus 1000 but they are relatively old, has anyone heard of a new netbook in the pipelines?

so did you have your eyes closed when you bought it then had an unfortunate surprise when you opened the box at home :o

:D:D:D

I had the opposite problem, bought a u-beaut spec PC from Melbourne on Ebay, when I opened the box it was bloody enormous.

It's in a Thermaltake, Soprano (?) case.

I had to buy a special suitcase to get it into Thailand...... I still haven't unpacked the monster, 5 months on, :D Too scared!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Update.

Sent my MSI Wind into SIS in BKK for new touchpad and a cleanup.

It came back looking like New!

New Touchpad and new keyboard, but no audio...... bummer! :D

So, the warranty really is International and the price of a new U100

has dropped A$200 to A$479.

I'm a happy camper. :)

I had an EEE 1000H, which did its job great. However I have some application, which do not like the screen resolution.

So I went for an Acer Aspire 4810TG with a 1.40 Ghz Single core processor/320 GB / 4GB DDR3 Ram etc.

It is slow on video/audio processing but otherwise great. What I love is the battery life of 6-7 hrs, which is outstanding and not a marketing trick.

Plus it has a 14" LED display, flat design and only 2 kg weight.

Basically it depends what you want to use it for. The EEEPC is great for surfing, emails and simple office work.