Excellent New Curry House Opened Tried It Last Night

FarangCravings

Tried the new curry place called NEW DELHI just as you turn into the reggae area near royal india and must say it was excellent the NAN bread was massive ( i like mine not cut so I can tear it apart if you dont ask they will cut it ) I had the chicken curry which was very tasty although it took a while to get to me, when I enquired why it was taking so long they explained that they prepare everything from scratch using fresh ingrediants and no premade sauces are made or foods pre cooked and then reheated,

I must say you do taste the difference when it comes and its worth the wait so give it a try when you next need a curry fix the guy there is very accomodating and willing to please.

P.S make sure you ask then to remoe the cloves once cooked

How would you compare it to The Royal India?

Did you come by Gecko Books and tell me about some packets of Indian curry that are very easy to prepare at home?

Nope not me Ulysses I only eat curry not sell it :o I actually think the place is WAY cleaner than Royal india service is way better and with a smile and the curry (minus the cloves) was excellent very nice guy very willing to please. only thing was the wait but again its all done from scratch and was worth it

Directions

its the road opposite Mikes burgers on the moat (not sure the name) but its directly opposite mikes burgers just head down there about 1/2 km on the right hand side before the intersection just pas the irish pub

Did you come by Gecko Books and tell me about some packets of Indian curry that are very easy to prepare at home?

That was me...

Thanks. I just wonder who is who sometimes.

Are those packets for sale? They sounded to be useful and convienent to a lot of the members who cook at home! :o

In my opinion The Royal India serves terrible food - unrecognizable as indian. But then lots of people enjoy the inauthentic versions geared for local market conditions and tastes. (Most chinese restaurants all over the world are an example of this - serving food that's barely recognizable to a chinese person.) The food is New Delhi is less inauthentic but I haven't yet been often enough to decide if it's good. But certainly better than Royal India - and pricier too.

I've found very little Indian food anywhere in Thailand that I liked very much, however, I still want to try the Chedi when I find someone else who is willing to pay their prices.

As to the Royal Indian, I don't love it, but it tastes pretty much the same as much of the food I have eaten in New Delhi and a few people I know who lived in India for many years, swear by the place (compared to the competion). I do eat a vegetarian Thali there every few weeks and manage to enjoy it. :o

I've found very little Indian food anywhere in Thailand that I liked very much, however, I still want to try the Chedi when I find someone else who is willing to pay their prices.

As to the Royal Indian, I don't love it, but it tastes pretty much the same as much of the food I have eaten in New Delhi and a few people I know who lived in India for many years, swear by the place (compared to the competion). I do eat a vegetarian Thali there every few weeks and manage to enjoy it. :o

The only thing I liked at Royal India was their mutton seekh kebab with tandoori roti - but then they took that kebab off the menu. My negative comment applied also to to Le Spice. I find for both places the only things I can enjoy are their tikkas, tandooris or kebabs - Le Spice at least provides more agreeable surroundings.

The New Delhi owner chatted to me a bit, and assured me that he will adjust the cooking of dishes to my taste if I give him an indication and a little time. He has brought his cook in from India. Al Hassan (next door to the Arabia restaurant - don't go there) in the night bazaar also has an imported cook - from Pakistan.

I too have been told that the Chedi is good, and I might well accompany you there once I've made your acquaintance; which will likely happen during a browse in your book shop - once I move to CM (in November).

That was me...

Thanks. I just wonder who is who sometimes.

Are those packets for sale? They sounded to be useful and convienent to a lot of the members who cook at home! :o

Hi - I am me. Usually...

Yes, I am selling these (very tasty) Indian boil-in-a-bag foods. In my opinion, they are better than most Indian dishes available here (no - haven't tried the New Dehli yet).

All vegetarian and all natural ingredients - I have about 20 different dishes available. Made in India to ISO9002 standards...

post-55564-1222041858_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1222041902_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1222041924_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1222041981_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1222042038_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1222042084_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1222042109_thumb.jpg

Went again last night and had the Rogan Gosh again excellent also found out the reason for the wait it was not so much the curry but the missus ordered the tandori chicken and thats what takes the time as they prepare from fresh marinate it and then put it in the oven so it takes a while

The owner used to have 2 restaurants in Pai but closed one and moved here to chiang mai he still has one in Pai which he says serves only sets since the market up there is very cheap and he cannot sell expensive there :o my bill I beleive was 275 baht all in a bargain for sure

Went there for a takeout lunch yesterday - chicken vindaloo and a naan bread 150B. Pretty impressed, loads of decent sized chunks of chicken with no rubbery bits or bones and a good flavoursome sauce. The OP was right about the cloves though and I forgot - eeuuuccchhhh! Naan was OK more of a cross between a naan and a chapati though but I'll go again for sure.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I prefer thalis (sets) when I eat alone at Indian restaurants. I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing it......but aren't they sacrificing the single diner market. Maybe its just more trouble than its worth. The place still seems overpriced for a shophouse restaurant, but if the food is good what the hel_l.

Went again last night and had the Rogan Gosh again excellent also found out the reason for the wait it was not so much the curry but the missus ordered the tandori chicken and thats what takes the time as they prepare from fresh marinate it and then put it in the oven so it takes a while

The owner used to have 2 restaurants in Pai but closed one and moved here to chiang mai he still has one in Pai which he says serves only sets since the market up there is very cheap and he cannot sell expensive there :o my bill I beleive was 275 baht all in a bargain for sure

The food was good at his sit down place here in Pai, now closed, but it took forever to get your order, to the extent that I would not go in there if anyoneelse was there before me. Rumor was that his cook was deported for being here illegally...

Sounds like the same guy that ran the Taj Mahal restaurant in Pai? If so, I know where I am having dinner next.

Had some absolutely fantastic food there, and at the next place he opened (with premade curry dishes) I tried to persuade him to open a restaurant here in Chiang Mai instead.

Can't wait to try his Nan bread again. He even managed to make my wife start to like Indian food.

Sounds like the same guy that ran the Taj Mahal restaurant in Pai? If so, I know where I am having dinner next.

Had some absolutely fantastic food there, and at the next place he opened (with premade curry dishes) I tried to persuade him to open a restaurant here in Chiang Mai instead.

Can't wait to try his Nan bread again. He even managed to make my wife start to like Indian food.

Yes the same guy

as far as the Nan goes I thought it was very very good and very large I do request they dont cut it though as I like to tear it up and dip it so if you like to do the same be sure to ask them not to cut it

Went there again this lunchtime with a couple of mates and apart from the long wait (40 mins!!!) we all reckoned the food was excellent. We scoffed: Chilli chicken, mutton roganjosh and chicken daliwalla(sp?) plus plain, onion and garlic naans. Add in a couple of cokes and some water and the bill of 600B was very reasonable.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

In my opinion The Royal India serves terrible food - unrecognizable as indian. But then lots of people enjoy the inauthentic versions geared for local market conditions and tastes. (Most chinese restaurants all over the world are an example of this - serving food that's barely recognizable to a chinese person.) The food is New Delhi is less inauthentic but I haven't yet been often enough to decide if it's good. But certainly better than Royal India - and pricier too.

Absolutely agree - it's ghastly!

Mostly consists of 50% grease and 50% 'other stuff'.....its like drinking vegetable oil straight.