Honda Cbr 125 /150

surgunn

thanx for help,

here is my idea, first I will buy an NSR for apx. 10000, and then after learning how to shift, I will buy a newer bike.

because I am afraid of harming the gears during my learning period?

cuz as far as I know, if I cannot manage the proper shifting, the bike stops and stucks, and I think it might harm the bike. am I right?

(OR which one is better for learning?)

I think the idea of buying a cheap NSR is a good idea. You already have a JRD 125 automatic. That is your main/primary transportation to use everyday. The sportbike will be a "toy" that you ride on the weekend, or for fun. Do not worry if it is old. If it breaks, ride your JRD to work and to get groceries while the NSR is fixed. The NSR will not be very expensive to fix. Parts are cheap, and labor in Thailand is very cheap. Also a two stroke like the NSR is easier to fix because there are less parts (2 stroke has no valves) and it is a less complicated engine.

If you do not already know how to ride a manual, get a cheap bike to learn on. If you get an expensive, nice bike, it will just be more expensive to fix because you will have accidents when you are still learning. How will you feel when you drop your 62,000 baht brand new CBR to the ground? It will not hurt as much if you drop your 10,000 baht NSR.

Even the CBR owners will admit that the NSR is significantly faster than the CBR. The speed is related to the engine design. The NSR is a 'two stroke'. Every time the piston goes up and down in the cylinder it is called a 'stroke'. When gasoline is injected into the cylinder and is burned (producing power) it is called a 'power stroke'. An NSR is a two stroke engine, meaning every two strokes, there is a power stroke. CBR is a 4 stroke, meaning every 4th stroke is a power stroke. A two stroke produces more power because there are twice as many 'power strokes' as a 4 stroke. The problem is that the 2 strokes pollute. A 4 strokes has 4 strokes to make the emissions cleaner.

I do not think they made the NSR in 2002, and the late model NSR's are actually very rare and getting more expensive. They stopped making the NSR because it pollutes. Honda switched to the 4 stroke CBR from NSR because of the pollution. The last model is the NSR SP, and alot of the Thai bikes are being bought and shipped to Australia, where beginning motorcycle riders are limited to 150cc. Because the NSR's make more power, that is why they are popular.

submaniac, what do you mean:

"I do not think they made the NSR in 2002"

so, all NSRs are older than 2002?

BTW, what about sales procedures in second hand? which documents is necessary, such as passport, etc..?

cuz, I bought a new bike last year, and I was new in Thailand, so I didnot have a work permit. and they wanted workpermit documents. so we used the docs of another farang friend.

is it easier to buy a second hand than a new one?

plus, I never think of buying a new CBR, I know they lose half the value for second hand.

but I also dont want to use a very old bike. 2-3 years is OK I think.

Yes, NSR's are old, but everything submaniac said is correct.

Check here and the motoring forum. I have never had a work permit, but have bought a new bike, and could have bought a dozen used bikes and cars. My immigration dept. used to require a long-term visa to issue a certificate of residency.

///Keep in mind that most of what you read in ads is wrong. They do not know what they have.

submaniac, what do you mean:

"I do not think they made the NSR in 2002"

so, all NSRs are older than 2002?

Actually according to Wikipedia, there were NSR-SP'S made at least in 2002 (the article says that they were introduced in Asia in 1997, and in 2001-2002 to Australia, which means that there must be some 2002 models). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSR_150 This is an article on the introduction of the NSR 150sp to Australia:NSR article I don't think I have ever seen an NSR newer than 2002 thought. You have to remember, the CBR 150 replaced the NSR in Honda's line up. Honda essentially stopped producing two strokes; hence when the CBR 150 came out there was no room for the dirtier, smellier, nosier NSR.

BTW, what about sales procedures in second hand? which documents is necessary, such as passport, etc..?

cuz, I bought a new bike last year, and I was new in Thailand, so I didnot have a work permit. and they wanted workpermit documents. so we used the docs of another farang friend.

is it easier to buy a second hand than a new one?

I think it easier to buy new than used. If you buy new, the dealer is supposed to (though doesn't always) do the work for you. When I bought my bikes second hand what I needed was the green book (important) with the ownership history, a signed document from the registered owner releasing ownership to me, and a copy of the Thai owner's Thai ID card. Then you need to go to the Land Transportation Bureau office (I forgot the full name), to transfer the ownership on the government records. There they will do an inspection of the bike, to make sure the turn signals work, brake lights work, and the Vehicle numbers are correct (not forged, or that the bike is stolen). You pay your transfer fee (I think 1 or 2 hundred baht), and you are done. It is a little more complicated than buying new, but then you do save money too. Actually some motorcycle repair shops will do ALL the work for you (like do the documents and take the bike for inspection and registration transfer) for a fee of 1000 or 2000 baht. (If you want it done I can get the shop next to my house to do it for you; they can pick up the bike from your house and take it in for registration/inspection so you do nothing; pm me if you are interested.) I did it myself because I needed to go anyways to get my motorcycle license here.

plus, I never think of buying a new CBR, I know they lose half the value for second hand.

but I also dont want to use a very old bike. 2-3 years is OK I think.

hi surgunn,

thaicbr is right that a cbr is a good learner bike.

i managed to get one last week (saturday) and am allocating at least a few hours on saturdays and sunday to learn how to ride. i DON't know shit about riding - i had to push the bike to the nearest convenience store parking lot early sunday last week. in the first half-hour, i keep on almost using my left foot to clutch :o after a couple of hours, i am able to go home riding. i spend the morning today - working on the balance, turns and u-turns at low speed.

regarding the transfer of ownership, a motorbike shop can do it for you. i think that transfer that involves a farang takes a lot more time. these motorcycle shops are open on saturdays though so both the buyer and seller can go there together (which is much better as you guys might have forgotten to sign some stuffs, used black pen on the photocopies, etc.). regardind reliability, i'll get back on that after i am sure that i have everything in order :S

Edited by igme

thaicbr and igme, thanx a lot for info

believe it or not, the more I learn about this issue, the more I get complicated :o

am still confused between NSR and CBR cuz they both has pros and cons.

actually, I fell in love with CBR months ago :D and still.

but this prevents me from buying it sometimes, cuz I dont know how to ride, cuz I dont want to harm :D

anyway, maybe if I can find a CBR with a reasonable price (25k) I will buy it. but I cannot contact with people who has ads on thaisecondhand or mocyc websites, again cuz of the language barrier. and also, there was a bike for 32000 on the net, but when I went to the shop, the man said 35k. I didnot understand why. is it cuz I am farang?

BTW, igme, please tell me help me about buying CBR and tell me about your CBR, what is good, what is bad, what is easy, what is hard?

so as far as I understand, you didnot use bike before, not even an automatic one? am I right? cuz u mentioned about balancing n stuff?

how much did you pay, and which year is it, newer than 2003?

thaicbr and igme, thanx a lot for info

believe it or not, the more I learn about this issue, the more I get complicated :o

am still confused between NSR and CBR cuz they both has pros and cons.

actually, I fell in love with CBR months ago :D and still.

but this prevents me from buying it sometimes, cuz I dont know how to ride, cuz I dont want to harm :D

anyway, maybe if I can find a CBR with a reasonable price (25k) I will buy it. but I cannot contact with people who has ads on thaisecondhand or mocyc websites, again cuz of the language barrier. and also, there was a bike for 32000 on the net, but when I went to the shop, the man said 35k. I didnot understand why. is it cuz I am farang?

BTW, igme, please tell me help me about buying CBR and tell me about your CBR, what is good, what is bad, what is easy, what is hard?

so as far as I understand, you didnot use bike before, not even an automatic one? am I right? cuz u mentioned about balancing n stuff?

how much did you pay, and which year is it, newer than 2003?

hi surgunn,

i have just read your pm and i sent the reply. my appologies for the late reply as i am on a phone call with my gf :D

to sum it up though:

a ) nope - never rode a bike before - i can drive manual cars while holding a double big mac and a large drinks though (i don't know if this helped me learning how to ride a motorcycle :D )

b ) nope- the post said it was 6 years old. 13000 km on the odo but regularly serviced by honda. owner is away most of the time so it is still fresh when i looked at it. only scratches are on the passenger handle thingie on the back. repsol colors. got it for 32k

c ) only problem is that i find the idling too low - but peace and dave helped me solve that

take your time browsing the web - it took me 3 weeks to get a few options (i.e. sellers). also, don't be impulsive - i know i was, even had the transfer done by a motorcycle shop even if there were not much feedback on it being reliable or what (impulsive me). well, at least it is just 32k in case the shop loses the book :( - the bike is still with me and i can still use it to learn how to ride anyway hehehe

Edited by igme

Surgunn............................OPEN YOUR EYES............................its in the Honda cbr150 thread...........post 609............and ..................pictures on post 612..................AND IT IS A BARGAIN BUT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GO TO PATTAYA.......enjoy...............Allan

ok thaicbr, but are u angry?

I saw that one, but it was not in Bangkok, so I asked again.

everybody, I have found two cbr, year 2005: 35000 baht, and year 2006: 42000 baht.

what do u think, is it expensive?

Edited by surgunn

ok thaicbr, but are u angry?

I saw that one, but it was not in Bangkok, so I asked again.

everybody, I have found two cbr, year 2005: 35000 baht, and year 2006: 42000 baht.

what do u think, is it expensive?

Buy the cheapest, and spend the difference on a English course ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Once you learn how to ride and shift, you'll love the CBR. I have a brand new one and wouldn't trade it for any other bike made. But, to keep the wife happy, I also bought her a new Air Blade, which she loves, so we're both happy. :)

post-82655-1244721789_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Also, the NSR150 made more power. Some of the parts are interchangeable, but not engines. I saw and considered buying an old NSR150 that was refitted with a CBR150 fairing.

Do you think it's possible to fit an NSR fairing to a CBR?

The skinniness of the cbr fairing is it's one weak point IMO. But can't find any bodykits anywhere on the web. :)

anything is possible. Thai's are very good at modifiying things. but WHY would you want to. If you want more road presence then fit some spotlights each side of the forks, change the horn for a more powerful one and get some flashing leds back and front. also wear a gayglo vest with flouro strips when you ride. sorted.

Also if you WANT more road presence (but still reasonble price) why not buy a Kawasaki Ninja 250 in kawa green, bigger bike etc etc

Edited by thaicbr

Also, the NSR150 made more power. Some of the parts are interchangeable, but not engines. I saw and considered buying an old NSR150 that was refitted with a CBR150 fairing.

Do you think it's possible to fit an NSR fairing to a CBR?

The skinniness of the cbr fairing is it's one weak point IMO. But can't find any bodykits anywhere on the web. :)

Looks at this link and you will a new fairing kit, dont know about the price though ( i asked but they said its new so they dont have a price on it yet, and i had to ask again in a few weeks ). Looks pretty awesome if you ask me.

http://www.faddybike.com/static/cbr150.htm

Nice man. Very very nice.

Will send off an email too and see what's happening. Saw one on google from an outfit called MRT (Motor Rad Technik) exporting them from BKK (a Norweigen guy called Thomas) in 2006.

The only thing I've found on them is this.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=167452

An NSR kit that they also put on the CBRs.

selling for 150 euro, from BKK.

CIMG8059.jpg

CIMG8058.jpg

Nothing else found on them. And no email returned. Weird.

Another nice example.

CBRF12007-1.jpg

Edited by Simonpetterson

if ya want the euro style maybe wait until year end. because Honda have said that ALL Honda bikes sold in Thailand will be FI by 2010. The euro cbr125 is already FI. so maybe they will just offer that here.

But seriously mate. Thai's dont look more than 5 mtres ahead when they are riding or driving so you would need to get a bloody tank before they noticed ya. Lots of Light at the front at night, preferably different colour or flashing.

Friend of mine on a Yamaha FZ600 was rear ended by a driver. presumably the car driver didnt see him....... doh

Edited by thaicbr

He didn't wai the spirit house before leaving his house?

Bound to happen :)

I've already been reversed over by a very nice lady. Obviously the rear view mirror is simply for hanging protection flowers.

Will be nice if they intro the Euro style fairing though.

Edited by Simonpetterson