Mafia Police

jamesthefirst

My Thai wife (very foolishly) was the guarantor for a friend of hers about a year ago, who wanted to borrow money from the local mafia. This friend of hers has since done the dirty and moved away, and now these local cuthroats (who according to the Thais in my neighbourhood, but we're not allowed to talk about it) are members of the Royal Thai Police Force! Not only this, but they are demanding that my wife cough up 200,000 baht!!

OK, where the mafia are involved, I suppose one has to pay.. After all, to be fair, my wife was the one who chose to be the guarantor, so I suppose it's her/my job to come up with the money. But knowing that they are also the police, this whole affair seems just not right to me!

Luckily I have some money which I am in the process of getting brought over from the UK, which will appease these dudes. The scary thing is, I hear stories all of the time of people who cannot come up with money borrowed who get taken away to somewhere remote and getting beaten to within an inch of their lives! When I asked my wife would they actually kill anyone, she replied no, they couldn't do that because they are the police! The irony of it!!

I sincerely hope that the administrators of this forum do not remove this article. The world needs to know what a corrupt place Thailand really is. I have already reported this incident to the British Embassy.

The moral of this story...no matter how desperate you are, do not borrow money from the mafia and/or the police. Neither should you be the guarantor for anyone who wants to, no matter how much they beg you!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....a local policeman (Isaan) who lives near me came with his wife and asked to borrow 10k baht and would return it in one week. Well, that week was stretched out to eleven months. Found out he borrowed the money to buy (underground) lottery tickets and not to make his truck payment. During those eleven months he avoided me as much as possible.....good advice above.....don't loan or borrow...

My Thai wife (very foolishly) was the guarantor for a friend of hers about a year ago, who wanted to borrow money from the local mafia. This friend of hers has since done the dirty and moved away, and now these local cuthroats (who according to the Thais in my neighbourhood, but we're not allowed to talk about it) are members of the Royal Thai Police Force! Not only this, but they are demanding that my wife cough up 200,000 baht!!

OK, where the mafia are involved, I suppose one has to pay.. After all, to be fair, my wife was the one who chose to be the guarantor, so I suppose it's her/my job to come up with the money. But knowing that they are also the police, this whole affair seems just not right to me!

Luckily I have some money which I am in the process of getting brought over from the UK, which will appease these dudes. The scary thing is, I hear stories all of the time of people who cannot come up with money borrowed who get taken away to somewhere remote and getting beaten to within an inch of their lives! When I asked my wife would they actually kill anyone, she replied no, they couldn't do that because they are the police! The irony of it!!

I sincerely hope that the administrators of this forum do not remove this article. The world needs to know what a corrupt place Thailand really is. I have already reported this incident to the British Embassy.

The moral of this story...no matter how desperate you are, do not borrow money from the mafia and/or the police. Neither should you be the guarantor for anyone who wants to, no matter how much they beg you!

Have you met these mafia/ploice?...Have they spoken to you personally? Do you know the original person who borrowed the money? - does the original person that borrowed the money have land or assets?

I would check that all this out before you start handing out blank cheques.

how it is posible that u can borrow money from the police? what i know thay dont get a grade deal of money, so something must be wrong, wehre thay get the money to borrow someone??

My guess is that they dont , but instead work on spotters fees from the local gold shop.

They are in an ideal position to know who needs cash.

This happened a year ago why have they taken this long to come to your wife? There is only 2 things you can do (1) pay up. (2) pack up and do a runner just like your wife's friend did :o as your wife did not borrow the money her friend did. If they really want there money then they will go after your wife's friend not you & your wife.

Regards

Scotsman

You should change the start of your post to read. ( My Thai Ex-Wife ((Fcuken crazy Bicth))

My friend, believe it or not, when one borrows from the mafia as a last resort, they do not require a guarantor! Let's face it they are hardly a registered money lending institution. As hard as it may be for you to believe, you may be the victim of a scam here. Sorry

Hang on a sec - 200K from loan sharking cops with just your 0ther half as security - the paperwork for this loan: your partner would have signed something no doubt, just as there will be the original loan agreement with the now missing borrower.

That would surely have detailed:

What was the loan for (though not always)?

When it was? (defineate)

What were the repayment terms - how much per week/month/quater or whatever and at what rate? (defineate).

Without any of the above all sorts of questions come to mind, but fine if its all in place, why is your partner been pressurised into paying it all off right now, so to speak and in one go?

Could she not pay it off as per the original terms that applie dto the loan, and if they are long expired, then why are they only chasing up your partner at the 11hr?

Yes - I'm been nosy, but it's try and find a way of helping you guys find a position that at least takes the pressure off, if not allows you to pay it off over time.

Loan sharking cops prefer amicable settlements - even if that means deferrment of payment. A secure long term payment plan in place is far better than putting garruntors under pressure. It attracts attention (to them - and they don;t like that), and it scares people off from taking loans from them (so it does their business no good).

A couple of the posters above seem to be totally clueless of the real world in Thailand...

Without pointing the finger at individuals, those who said....

A. "The Thai police don't make a great salary, so how would they have money to lend." You gotta be joking!!!!! Salary has nothing to do with it... it's the OTHER money that counts...

B. The OP doesn't have to worry because the police, being police, wouldn't do anything bad.... Have you read the newspaper lately...or even at all???? Just a slight peruse and you can find a myriad of articles detailing any range of the most heinous things....

And to the OP, if my wife guaranteed 200,000 baht without telling me and getting my permission first (unless she was independently wealthy) and (the OP didn't say whether or not he had been consulted about this in advance, though I'd assume not), that would be just about the time she'd be out looking for a new husband.

Lastly, I should have added, I can honestly profess to know nothing about the paper documentation requirements involved when getting money from local loan sharks. But, the original story/account does sound a bit odd...and this being Thailand, tends to lead one to wonder about any range of scams being perpetrated on the OP by his wife and/or others.

After all, there are only so many sick or dying buffalos, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, cousins, cars, pickups or motorcycles in Thailand.... somebody has to come up with a better scam story sometime. The old recycled ones are getting a bit tired by now. :o

Edited by jfchandler

The odds are this is a 3-way scam cooked up by your wife, her buddy and a local copper to relieve you of 200,000 Baht.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I concur, i'd want to see the whites of their eyes and make it as a last resort, you roll over on this one and pay then odds on there will be another sob story on its way that involves someone on hrd times, a fair amount of baht and you the sucker playing the main part :o

The odds are this is a 3-way scam cooked up by your wife, her buddy and a local copper to relieve you of 200,000 Baht.

Oh, go away!

you come on here for advice/opinions and when someone posts something your not happy hearing you dismiss it....next time go ask the family buffalo what to do eh :o

You know, you really should listen to the posters advising you take a better look at this. After all, you only have the story from your wife. And, do you really think they'd be demanding 200k off a Thai?, Of course not. They know they'd be on a hiding to nothing for a long time. Bet you let your wife in on the fact that you are about to come into some more money also?

No wonder so many of you get taken. So stupid. Hey! Come back and tell us how it all panned out nah! :o

Oh, go away!

He may well be right though, this is Amazing Thailand after all & you would be foolish to rule it out..

Oh, go away!

He may well be right though, this is Amazing Thailand after all & you would be foolish to rule it out..

Have to agree, stranger things have happened and your story does have a few holes in it. As unpalatable as it may be keep an open mind.

TBWG :o

The mafia wouldn't use your wife as a guarantor, except as she used you/your assets as collateral. You might want to ask yourself, would you accept being used in that manner, especially without being consulted? You have more to think about than whether you can cover this loan. Can you cover the next one?

The word Mafia most be the most abused/misused word on TV.

The local Mafia. The Mafia in the neigbourhodd. The taxi mafia, etc, etc.

Mafia mafia mafia.

My God folks! Would you please stop with this!

How many mafia organizations are there here?

Most of you guys keep calling anyone more than one person that work together for mafia.

Hmmm, let me see.... yes, China must be the country with most Mafias then.

Right?

Ooops, I guess the TV Mafia will come after me now.

:o

Mafia mafia mafia.

Most of you guys keep calling anyone more than one person that work together for mafia.

Hmmm, let me see.... yes, China must be the country with most Mafias then.

Right?

Ooops, I guess the TV Mafia will come after me now.

:D

Your card is marked. :D

But what gets me is all of the farangs/Thai that I meet out who like to drop the fact that they know, or are part of the Maffia. If I was in the Maffia then I would neither like anybody else to broadcast it and I definitely would not broadcast it myself.

I think that the ones who claim not to have anything to do with the maffia, like myself, are the ones that you should be weary of. :o .

Edited by globalj

maybe the amount is 150k and your wife is pocketing 50k of your money and giving them the other 150k of your money.

Mafia mafia mafia.

isn't the word 'mafia' really just a catch-all for any group of people involved in some type of organized crime? in which case there really is a lot of mafia in thailand!!! but that's different from 'The Mafia' aka Godfather etc.

Mafia mafia mafia.

isn't the word 'mafia' really just a catch-all for any group of people involved in some type of organized crime? in which case there really is a lot of mafia in thailand!!! but that's different from 'The Mafia' aka Godfather etc.

don’t be silly people . theres not such thing as the Mafia