If You Were Stuck With Only One Type Of Cuisine For The Rest Of Your Life

Jingthing

What cuisine would you most like to be "stuck" with?  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So help me God, when I leave this part of the world, I will never eat rice again (OK maybe a sweet rice pudding!). I do enjoy Asian food and particularly Thai food, but they will go either on my potatoes or my pasta once I leave here!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English for me.

As mentioned, roast beef with all the trimmings and don't forget the Coleman's mustard. Bangers & mash, liver & onions, cottage pie, shepherds pie, ocean pie, steak & kidney pie, and not forgetting the great English fry up!

dam_n, I'm hungry now - better go and have a bowl of khao tom! :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

So help me God, when I leave this part of the world, I will never eat rice again (OK maybe a sweet rice pudding!). I do enjoy Asian food and particularly Thai food, but they will go either on my potatoes or my pasta once I leave here!

So what is stopping you from having Thai dishes with potatoes or pasta right now? I do it quite a lot really, Phad Krapow spaghetti or Phanaeng & Mashed Potatoes...

I included Aust/NZ as an antipodean diplomatic gesture ... I doubt its the favorite world cuisine of many.

Now, if you've not been to Australia and may be thinking all we do is chuck (throw) a few prawns on the barbie while we sink our tinnies and strike manly poses (the ladies, too), we'll excuse this misconception.

I chose Australia because it offers so much variety -- wondered why it was even an option as it's pretty much a superset of all the others, with excellent quality of produce and a huge ( :D !) and highly sophisticated foodie culture.

Australian restaurants regularly feature on listings of the world's best; the Sydney & Melbourne Chinese restaurants usually feature there, by the way.

Yes, standard Chinese food in HK/China is really not terribly "delicious", but the thought is there :o . I do mean that all Chinese understand the philosophy behind their cuisine and are also not too many generations removed from the times of hunger to be unable to appreciate the fragrance of a bowl of freshly-cooked rice.

It's much like 25 baht Thai dishes in Thailand.

I found the daily fare in India was wonderful, though.

I agree with geriatric kid about American food. Corn, potatoes, tomatoes, chiles, pizza, hamburger, hot dogs, steaks, lasagna, chili con carne, more Mexican food, roast beef, BBQ, cakes and pies, even a variety of soft drinks, lots of dairy products, stews, soups, Chinese adaptations, etc. I just go crazy when I get home to a $9 all-you-can-engorge luncheon buffet.

If I could call everything you can get in San Francisco restaurants "American food", that would be perfect. Somehow, though, I think that would be cheating. :o

No, UG, it is not cheating. If it's readily available in many parts of America, it is American. Chop suey and chile con carne were invented in the USA, and pizza was perfected in New York and Chicago. Neither hamburgers nor hot dogs are German, and French fries ain't Parisienne. Look at the Aussies - not an aboriginal dish mentioned yet! Fusion...isn't that a thermonuclear word?

I agree with geriatric kid about American food. Corn, potatoes, tomatoes, chiles, pizza, hamburger, hot dogs, steaks, lasagna, chili con carne, more Mexican food, roast beef, BBQ, cakes and pies, even a variety of soft drinks, lots of dairy products, stews, soups, Chinese adaptations, etc. I just go crazy when I get home to a $9 all-you-can-engorge luncheon buffet.

American food in restaurants / freshly prepared, good call.

(The amount of American food sold in supermarkets that is over-processed and bland is too much though, imo. There must be a lot of people over there that don't know what real cheese; chocolate; etc taste like??)

Second, I'd go with Italian.

Third, Chinese. Made anywhere but in China though.

Without a doubt, it has to be "American."  American is a fusion of cooking styles from all over the world.  Yes, the varieties of pasta in Italy are better, in my opinion, but the pasta dishes in the US are acceptable, and the Italians don't have the meats, vegetables, and fruits you can enjoy in the US.  Hong Kong Kong may have the best "Chinese" food, but it doesn't have the depth and variety you can find in the US.

I love Thai food, but it is somewhat limited in scope. I would be very unhappy if I had to eat only That rest of my life. And while Japanese may be a little more varied, I feel the same way about it.  Love it, but I want something different as well. Fancy French restaurants are great, but household cooking is not as good.

I can go on and on about all the great food in the world, and I am glad we live in a time when we can eat it all (I remember when the first Vietanmese restaurant opened in the US--now, you can find one almost anywhere.) But if I was to be stuck with one cuisine, then it would have to be where I could get the most variety, and that would be North American.

This question is a little different than what is your favorite food. Instead, it is which type of food would you choose if you had to be stuck only with that type of food

Hu Tieu me banh xep - dumpling soup, little pork, w/ small noodles and large.

Delicious.

This question is a little different than what is your favorite food. Instead, it is which type of food would you choose if you had to be stuck only with that type of food, and that type only, for the rest of your life. This could be different than your favorite. I ask the question for fun and also out of curiosity about how many will say Thai food. Many people say their love of Thai food is a top reason to visit or live in Thailand, and I do agree, but would Thai food be your answer to this question?

I couldn't include all types of cuisines, some bias given to SE Asia and Anglo countries.

Junk food I love it. :o

American food in restaurants / freshly prepared, good call.

(The amount of American food sold in supermarkets that is over-processed and bland is too much though, imo. There must be a lot of people over there that don't know what real cheese; chocolate; etc taste like??)

Second, I'd go with Italian.

Third, Chinese. Made anywhere but in China though.

You'll be pleased to know I live 400 yards form Cadburys factory in Bournville in the UK you can often smell the chocolate however Im a chocolate lover and Lindt is my favourite mmmmmm :o

I love the "Ethiopian" choice. :D Thought that place has been in a famine for decades.

ethiopian national dish "signi" if something delicious² is you can stand the sudani chillies (thai chillies are powdered sugar compared to them). don't like the slimy "houbsa" that goes with it though.

how do i know that? had for nearly 5 years an ethiopian cook in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. even considered marrying her. but then suddenly my (then not yet but later to be) wife turned up and gone were the delicacies to eat, the superb ethiopian boobs and the delicious ethiopian butt.

:o

no PMs please with questions about ethiopian p*ssies! it's against forum rules.

Indian food without doubt.Love the stuff and could happily live on it everyday.

I am new to Indian food and I am seriously going to eat at an Indian restaurant (already reserved to meet folks) tonight.

What do you recomment, totlanh.

This restaurant has northern and southern. I seriously, do not know what to order.

So, far, it is no surprise that Thai and Italian are leading the pack, but all the write-ins for Korean (sorry for leaving it out) and the low votes for Chinese and French are somewhat surprising to me. The English votes I would guess are by people from there, init?

Edited by Jingthing

I would like to get an explanation from the OP as to the difference between Iranian (Persian) and Middle Eastern Food.

It is quite different than "generic" Middle eastern. It is a very rice centered cuisine and they take the rice very seriously (done in fancy distinctive ways) and the stews are distinctive. Iranians are not Arabs so their cuisine is not Arabic. They do share kebabs. It shares some similarity to Indian, but the spicing is very subtle and not at all fiery.

Persian cuisine or the cuisine of Iran is diverse, with each province featuring dishes, culinary traditions and styles distinct to their regions. It includes a wide variety of foods ranging from chelo kabab (barg, koobideh, joojeh, shishleek, soltani, chenjeh), khoresht (stew that is served with white Basmati or Iranian rice: ghormeh sabzi, gheimeh, and others), aash (a thick soup:as an example Ash-e anar), kookoo (vegetable omeletes), pollo (white rice alone or with addition of meat and/or vegetables and herbs, including loobia pollo, albaloo pollo, Sabzi pollo , zereshk pollo, and others), and a diverse variety of salads, pastries, and drinks specific to different parts of Iran. The list of Persian recipes, appetizers and desserts is extensive.

Herbs are frequently used along with fruits such as plums, pomegranates, quince, prunes, apricots, and raisins. The main Persian cuisines are combinations of rice with meat, chicken or fish and some onion, vegetables, nuts, and herbs. To achieve a balanced taste, characteristic Persian flavourings such as saffron, dried limes, cinnamon, and parsley are mixed delicately and used in some special dishes.

Contents

Edited by Jingthing

So, far, it is no surprise that Thai and Italian are leading the pack, but all the write-ins for Korean (sorry for leaving it out) and the low votes for Chinese and French are somewhat surprising to me.

This is easy... Chinese is a little "off" at the moment, at least the powdered milk. As for the French, while the food is undeniably good, suffice to say the idea of thais eating bread and cheese the rest of their lives might be a little unsavoury. Or it could be that nobody likes the French... heheh :o

Seriously, give the indian a miss and have Ukranian food. :o

Isn't that very similar to Russian? My grandparents came from there and they used to cook Russian food.

BTW, don't you think Spanish food deserves a little respect? I can think of worse fates than being forced to eat in a tapas bar for the rest of my life (thats tapas, not topless).

Edited by Jingthing

Seriously, give the indian a miss and have Ukranian food. :o

Isn't that very similar to Russian? My grandparents came from there and they used to cook Russian food.

I guess it is as similar as Persian fare is to Arab fare. Anyways, all this talk of food is making me hu'u!