Do You Cook At Home?

miltonbentley

We cook all the time mostly Thai but also farrang food, i have taught the missus all i know so i can sit back and pile on the kilos, things my missus can now do include Fish & chips with a great beer batter [chiang] , Meat Pies including Steak & Kidney, Steak & Mushroom , Chicken etc, also make all our own sausage rolls [Puff pastry]

Fruit pies with traditional lattice pastry is in its experimental stage but like the pies it is a question of getting the pastry perfected, we have managed it with the pies so it is just a question of time before the fruit pie pastry comes up to spec.

Mash potato is easy but the secret is being able to get it right for freezing, we have managed to get it spot on ...so out of the freezer and in to the microwave with perfect results

I, or should i say the missus hates peeling, boiling and mashing , so we found the best way out of this is to make enough for that one month freeze it and pull it out as required.

What else...Liver bacon & onions & Roast Dinner but the trouble is the spuds out here are as far as i can make out are mostly only suitable for boiling and if you do come across a good baking potato by chance the chances of getting the same one from the same person the following week seem to be pretty slim ,

I have heard lots of people say home made chips are the best and when i have tried them they look good but they tend to be rubbery and quite honestly rubbish, a bit like a take away Pizza when you hold the segment by the crust and the pointy bit tends to take a steep dive southwards.

If any one has any information on getting home made chips to an acceptable out come or where to buy roasting potato`s as opposed to boilers, i would be very interested to hear from them.

I find the oil has an important role in frying, the cheaper varieties don`t as far as i can see boil or get quite as hot as the more expensive products and the end result is that the food has to be in the pan longer and usually saturates the food to the extent that you could ring the oil out like a pair of old socks waiting to be be put on the line.

Any way back to me Beans on Toast...

the wife is from the hills and does her own thing unlike any thai food you can get and i like to cook what i call confusion....but the best way for us is to shop at the big market just a little north of the am embassy either in the day but also at night,lets say 11 to 1 along the river there ,great bargains are to be had in seafood fruits and vegetables,all fresh.then we just go home and cook the stuff up.even in thailand when you go out they are always a little short in the vegetable department.half of the time we eat out,thai and mostly lunch.

the only one thing better than home cooking is eating out. but that goes in another forum i guess.

We cook, maybe 4 nights a week or so. Regular rotation would be pasta, tex mex, Japanese curry or some attempt at Chinese food. On Sundays, I'd make something fiddly like ravioli or Shanghai soup dumplings.

Ingredients are mostly from Carrefour or Makro but I've learned to shop at the fresh market now. Still got no luck with certain things we want like Indian spices or decent Chinese black vinegar.

Cook almost totally at home; a mixture of Western and Asian. Shop at Rimping and Doi Kham shops (DK for the best ice cream)

Hint for making good chips; use russet potatoes (Rimping), invest in a candy thermometer (Rimping or Central) and fry them twice. the first frying is at about 340 degrees for about 3 minutes or until they are soft in the middle. Remove from oil, drain and re-heat the oil to around 375 degrees or more. Fry a second time for about 3 minutes or until brown and crispy. For extra crunch you can lightly dust the fries after the first frying with cornstarch and then do the second frying. Good luck!

At home we cook mostly Italian and Thai (wife) and go aout about a couple of times a week.

Ingredients come from Carrefour, Rimping, Makro, Doi Kham and Buonissimo.

Not having had much luck with steak in CM (Villa in BKK is OK), the last few trips back home (US) I have ben buying several pounds of sirloin from Costco :o putting it a cooler bag with artificial ice, and sticking it in the freezer when I get back here.

goat, mutton and goose from the butcher on Charoen Prathet rd

Could you be a bit more detailed, please? Where exactly and how about prices: meat, bones, different organs?

Thanks,

Nienke

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply here Nienke! I'm afraid I have not been in the best of health for a few weeks.

The shop is the Halal butcher. The easiest way to find it is to start at the bottom of Chiang Mai land. Take the soi facing you a few meters to the right. This leads down to Charoen Phratet Rd. The shop is facing you at the end of the soi.

• 2 weeks later...