Taxi driver attack

marks

We left a pub on Sutthisan Road about 1:45 A green and yellow cab picked us up. It was a Nissan Envy, a compact wagon. I couldn’t fit my legs behind the driver’s seat as I am very tall (195 cm.) so I swung them across the back seat.

We arrived at our aparment at about 2:00. There was 57 baht on the meter, we gave the driver 60. I got out of the cab, as did Sean and the driver. Sean said that I shouldn’t have put my feet on the back seat. By the time he said that I had already walked across to the lift and pushed the button.

I turned around to face the driver confronting me armed with a screwdriver. Not liking the look of this one little bit, i pushed him back, towards the cab. The driver’s side door of the cab was open. I remember Sean saying “Pi si!” and motiong him to get in.

But he didn’t get in. He got the knife from the side panel of the door and came back. It was big, about 40 cm., and heavy.

He whacked me first and I fell into the lift, which had come down by then. Then he walked past Sean and struck him across the face.

At the time of the assault Sean presented absolutely no threat to him. Further, Sean had done nothing to insult or provoke him in any way.

It was all over in less than 20 seconds. The security guard didn’t even have time to get up, and his desk is directly in front of the lift. The guard’s name is Khun Teerayut Yotsamut.  He has given me permission to use his name, and he denies talking to any reporters. Since Sean and I have never given an interview, where did they get the story? From the man who has already confessed to attempted murder, of course.

All of the evidence necessary to substantiate our version of events, including the driver’s confession and Khun Yotsamut’s testimony, is available at the Sutthisan police station.

If any of you know any lawyers, we would like to speak with one.

Don’t think it can’t happen to you. Please be careful.

Mark Shargool

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Sean and I have never given an interview, where did they get the story? From the man who has already confessed to attempted murder, of course.

You've never given an interview? I know you contacted the Bangkok Post at least once, because I work there. You disputed a police report of having thrown up in the cab and were asked to give your version of events, which of course you supplied. Your comments were woven into a report in the paper the next day.

According to a report in the Nation, you also sent them a letter.

It is customary for newspapers to get their information from police in the first instance. It happens all over the world. I am sure the police spoke to you and your sidekick, so to suggest you did not get a say in media coverage of the affair is nonsense.

I don't know what more you guys want. The driver has been charged with attempted murder! It is news to me that he has confessed to attempted murder, by the way. One report I read on the database tonight said he had admitted assault, but insists he acted in self-defence.

And what's this about wanting to talk to a lawyer? Surely you've been able to find one lawyer willing to help you...it's been weeks since the incident!

In my experience people do not attack others without reason, unless they are mad. Were you drunk? What really happened in the cab that night?

your story sounds really hard to believe, why would a thai taxi diver stab you guys,un-provoked and for no reason? i've seen some bad taxi drivers in this town, but this seems too much like the h.k. girl's story...

Mrentoul,

Your claims about my access to the media are correct. I was able to get the Bangkok Post to print that we denied vomiting in the taxi, and The Nation printed 2 sentences from a letter I wrote to them on Aug. 9.

So what do I want? Fair question. The taxi driver has said that he acted in self defence. This is completely untrue. Although he made this claim to reporters, he did not say this to the police. I would like a reporter from The Bangkok Post and one from The Nation to go down to Sutthisan police station and file reports based on the evidence submitted to police. That would be fair. We would happily grant an interview to any reporter who wishes to pursue the story. You say that you work at The Bangkok Post, any chance you could make it happen? I’m assuming that it’s an old story so they’re not interested.

The incident happened about 10 days ago. We have only spoken to one lawyer, and he declined to accept the case. Since neither the taxi driver nor his family will discuss compensation, there’s no money in it. We’re still looking, although at this point in time it looks like a forlorn hope.

In my post, I mention that we left a pub at 1:45. We had been drinking moderately, as we stated to police. I do not believe this was a factor in the incident.

Sevinnow, I do not have multiple names or aliases. I am not a forum surfer. Could you please retract that post?

ChangMaiThai, I am, as I stated in my post, one of the men who was attacked.

Sincerely, marks

I passed on your post of yesterday to someone in charge. He told me again the story of how you contacted the paper and put your side of the incident.

It seems from your post that you have sought compensation. But the driver has been charged with attempted murder...that's a serious offence!

I assume you're worried, then, that he'll get off and that you'll be left with nothing but medical bills. But that's the way the system works - isn't it?

If the evidence at the police station is so strong in your favour, I think you should let justice (such as it is) take its course.

Mrentoul,

The evidence before the court will be compelling. I cannot believe that the driver will get off. He's facing 10-20 years in the big house.

So far, Sean has racked up about 50,000 in medical bills, for which he will almost certainly not be compensated. I was less severely injured, so my bill wasn't nearly as expensive.

We are both intending to return home. If it is possible, we would like to testify before we do so. But what good will that do us?

We would like the chance to clear our names in the press before we go.

Sincerely, Marks

I am not a lawyer, but it would seem to be me that a charge of attempted murder may be seen as too severe (unless, of course, the evidence is really compelling), and a judge will let the driver off.

If I was the police I think i would have gone for a lesser charge. Have prosecutors accepted the case? How soon is it likely to be heard?

your story sounds really hard to believe, why would a thai taxi diver stab you guys,un-provoked and for no reason? i've seen some bad taxi drivers in this town, but this seems too much like the h.k. girl's story...

I fully agree with bon 1....besides what would you do if you have to confront two farangs probably twice your size.

Being educated and having living in Thailand for some time you should know it is rude to place you feet on the back seat, not only in LOS but even in your home town.

Are you sober at that time?..... ???

I think no one will ever really know what happened that night except the 3 people involved as I'm sure that the taxi driver expanded on the truth & so did the men in question about their actions in the cab & out of it. That said, I don't think the taxi driver was right in stabbing these 2 guys as he could have just got in his car & driven away. It would be interesting to know if the police searched the car & found any traces of vomit in the cab as I know from experience that the stink & content takes a long bloody time to go away after someone has upchucked in your motor!

mrentoul, it seems to me that if this had happened in another country the guys would have been given at least an exclusive interview to tell their side of the story (true or not) as well as the taxi driver & I was just wondering if the newspapers in thailand have some policy in not reporting the full story in incidents involving farang where a thai comes out of it looking bad (I'm not having a pop at you but a lot of bad things involving thais & farangs never gets reported in the western press because the thai press have made this issue to be smaller than it is, e.g. all the supposed "suicides" in pattaya as discussed in another thread) I have also heard that the press is still pressured, albeit, discreetly & selectivly by the government.

Hopefully the full & true story will come out in the end (though I doubt it) & I hope the 2 guys have no long lasting effects of the attack & I suggest the go back home & try to get on with their lives.

I am not a lawyer, but it would seem to be me that a charge of attempted murder may be seen as too severe (unless, of course, the evidence is really compelling), and a judge will let the driver off.

So stabbing someone in the face isn't attempted murder? At the very least the driver should go to jail on assault charges.

Mrentoul,

The evidence before the court will be very compelling. Going back to the cab and emerging with the knife destroys any claim the driver had to self defence.

I do not know if the prosecutor has accepted the case. I don't even know if he can decline it. I cannot offer any guess as to how long the trial will take.

Bon1 and Chuang, I don't think anything I can say will ever convince you. I would invite you both to go down to the Sutthisan police station and examine the evidence submitted to police. As I stated previously, this evidence includes a full confession by the suspect and Khun Yotsamut's testimony.

I would also like to extend the same invitation to any reporters who may read this. Please go down to Sutthisan police station and examine the evidence submitted to police. We will happily grant an interview. We are still hoping to clear our names in the press.

Sincerely, Marks

So stabbing someone in the face isn't attempted murder? At the very least the driver should go to jail on assault charges.
I'm not making a judgement on what happened, but on how a judge might react. Still, given the eccentric nature of the justice system here, anythng could happen, so who cares what I think.
it seems to me that if this had happened in another country the guys would have been given at least an exclusive interview...  I was just wondering if the newspapers in thailand have some policy in not reporting the full story in incidents involving farang where a thai comes out of it looking bad

I don't think they have a policy of not reporting stuff where a Thai looks bad...but even the English-language Thai press tends to assume their main customers are Thai and that their readers just aren't interested in what a particular westerner has said or done, unless it's pretty sensational.

I am not a fan of this approach where westerners and Thais are pitted against each other. Giving 'exclusive interviews' to foreigners takes us down that path, or so it seems to me. The idea is to achieve a sense of balance. As someone said above, we will probably never know what went on in that cab.

At any rate I think the law should be allowed to take it course. In the West, once charges are laid and a matter is before the courts, the media is restricted by law as to what it can report.

Comment can be sought from both sides once the judge has had his say.

my full quote was;

it seems to me that if this had happened in another country the guys would have been given at least an exclusive interview to tell their side of the story (true or not) as well as the taxi driver

I didn't suggest that just the foreigners were given an exclusive, but my belief in the free press is that both sides should be allowed to have their say.

I didn't suggest that just the foreigners were given an exclusive, but my belief in the free press is that both sides should be allowed to have their say.

Thank-you for that correction. As I said above, both sides *have* had their say...both English-language newspapers have had contact with the westerners, though they may not be happy with the coverage they got.

The driver may not be happy with the coverage he is getting in the Thai press, either, of course...who knows?

I HAVE FOLLOWED THIS THREAD WITH INTEREST AS THIS IS ONE OF THOSE CLASSIC STORIES THAT PIT FALANG AGAINST

THAI ALONG WITH THE INVOLVEMENT OF THE POLICE , AND AS USUAL I AM UNABLE TO MAKE UP MY MIND AS TO WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED BECAUSE THERE IS NO CORROBORATION OF FACTS FROM EITHER SIDE.

THIS BEGS THE QUESTION AS TO WHY THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE PRESS IN THIS COUNTRY (I.E. THE POST AND THE NATION) IS SO INEFFECTUAL IN FINDING OUT THE FACTS IN STORIES OF THIS NATURE, STORIES WHICH ARE OF GREAT INTEREST TO FALANG READERS, (OTHER STORIES WHICH SEEM TO BE  ROUTINELY UNDER REPORTED ARE DRUG ARRESTS , "SUICIDES" , AND OTHER FALANG CRIMINAL ACTIVITY)

WE GET A SHORT PARAGRAPH ON PAGE 5 ONE DAY WITHOUT ANY SUBSEQUENT FOLLOW UP,THEN THE STORY DISAPPEARS. THERE IS NEVER ANY BACKGROUND TO THE EVENT,BACKGROUND TO THE CHARACTERS INVOLVED OR INSIGHT AS TO WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED, I.E. NO INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM.

DO THESE NEWSPAPERS ACTUALLY EMPLOY ANY DECENT INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISTS WHO ARE PREPARED TO LOOK INTO THE FACTS OR ARE THEY ALL SUPERANNUATED HACKS SITTING AROUND IN  AIR -CON OFFICES TAKING COPY OFF THE SCREENS AND RIDING THE GRAVY TRAIN? ARE THERE ACTUALLY ANY HUNGRY JOURNALISTS THERE WHO CAN SPEAK THE LOCAL LANGUAGE, WHO HAVE BUILT UP A BODY OF LOCAL  CONTACTS AND CONFIDENCES OVER THE YEARS AND ARE PREPARED TO GET OUT THERE AND PUT TOGETHER SOME INTERESTING AND FACTUAL COPY AND  ASK A  FEW SEARCHING QUESTIONS OF ALL THOSE INVOLVED.

THE QUALITY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE PRESS IN THIS COUNTRY IS A JOKE AND UNTIL THE PRESS TAKES MORE THAN A PASSING INTEREST IN WHAT GOES ON THEN THE TRUTH WILL NEVER SURFACE AND VESTED INTERESTS WILL ALWAYS WIN THE DAY. JOURNALISM IS ABOUT QUESTIONING THE FACTS AND NOT JUST COPYING WHAT ONE IS TOLD.

AND AS FOR THE TAXI DRIVER AND THE PASSENGERS WITH THEIR FEET ON THE SEATS, IF THE PRESS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE STORY TO COME KNOCKING ON YOUR DOORS BEGGING TO BE TOLD, THEN ITS TIME TO SHUT UP SHOP AND HAND OVER TO PEOPLE WHO CAN BE BOTHERED TO GET OUT AND FIND THE STORY.

I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW OF ANY OTHER VIEWS RE. THE STANDARD OF OUR PRESS.

Hi molarman,

I enjoyed reading your Post

Why has no Jourmalist interviewed

the Security Guard that "Marks"

claims is an independant witness?

Or are we to disregard his posts here

as a Forum Imposter ?

BTW - why do you SHOUT at us?

Lower Case is far easier to read than CAPITALS

Thanks

Roger

Correct me if I am wrong, did the taxi driver not drive off after the incident?

If so, we can possibly ignore the 'lack of motive' and 'why would he attack without provocation' tack. We have no way of knowing whether he was under the influence at the time. Many drivers are known to take Yaa-Baa etc to extend their working hours.

It's a sad truth, but the fact is, the English language press in this country does not have the resources that the newspapers back home have, nor indeed anything like the resources that the Thai press have. Yes, I agree they could have done a bit better job of reporting this case (yet there's a risk that that might have worked to the detriment of the two farangs involved, or it might not -- who knows), but just how important in the grand scheme of things is this case? Because it involved two farangs, is it more important than the great many -- and far greater -- injustices that involve Thais which are quite well reported in the English language press (and justly so)? And just how much interest is there in this case that warrants the time and resources of the English language press which are hard-pressed to cover minor issues anyway (and if the truth be told, this is a minor issue)? Sorry, not trying to demean the significance of it to the two people involved, but the main English language press can only do so much within the limitations of their resources. Ultimately, they have to judge the newsworthiness of a story, and if they sense that something is not right, then are they going to keep chasing stories that might lead to a dead end? There has been so much confusion about this case that I'm not sure who is right and who is wrong. On the one hand the taxi driver is trying to protect his arse, knowing that he's up against two farangs who are in a slightly high profile position. On the other, we have two farangs trying to protect THEIR own interests -- that's not saying either is right or wrong, just that we the public are being fed information that we can't decipher accurately. The two farangs feel they have a right to be aggrieved -- they should not have been attacked in such a way (and I wholeheartedly agree). But in a court of law, mitigating factors must come into play -- that's what the law is all about. I'm interest in hearing those mitigating factors before I make a decision, and I'll bet the English language press is as well. My advice to the two farangs is to back off -- you'll have your day in court. By trying to elicit public sympathy in the pre-trial period, you run the risk of alienating those who are trying to take an objective view until the facts are known. Think about it.

Dex

My advice to the two farangs is to back off -- you'll have your day in court. By trying to elicit public sympathy in the pre-trial period, you run the risk of alienating those who are trying to take an objective view until the facts are known. Think about it.

Well put. Great post.

Quote:( two farangs is to back off..... you'll have your day in court.)

A very good (legal) advice. Good advice.

Reason: If the case is pending before the court and under English Jurisprudence, the outbursts and press statements made by the two farangs and the newspaper would land all of them in " contempt of court " and could be sent to prison. ???

I fully agree with bon 1....besides what would you do if you have to confront two farangs probably twice your size.

Being educated and having living in Thailand for some time you should know it is rude to place you feet on the back seat, not only in LOS but even in your home town.

Are you sober at that time?..... ???

Rude? may be... but to attack somebody with a machette is imo way overtop.

Molarman, your thought-provoking post contains one slight error. I was the only passenger in the taxi who put his feet on the seat. I did this because the taxi was small and cramped and it was impossible to sit any other way.

This may sound like a minor point but I assure it is not, for 2 reasons. First, I made sure to sit directly behind the driver with my feet to my left. That way, they were pointing towards the left-hand rear door, and not towards the driver. I thought he wouldn’t be offended. I was wrong.

Secondly, and more importantly, Sean did absolutely nothing to threaten, insult, or provoke  the driver. Absolutely nothing. It was I who caused the offence. Now if you think that putting my feet up on the seat of a taxi justifies the driver attacking us with a machete, I will disagree. But Sean hadn’t done anything at all, and he was the most severely injured. He lost his right eye when he was slashed across the face.

Sean is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known. I will regret that forever.

Wolf5370, you are correct in your assumption. The entire incident took less than 20 seconds, the actual attack took less than 3. The driver walked back to the open door of the taxi, emerged with the knife, slashed both of us, got in the taxi and fled. It took him far less time to do it than it took me to write the preceding sentence.

Our day in court. Sean is planning to return to the States. I am also considering returning to Canada. The court date will be at least 2 months from today. We still don’t have a lawyer. I am not optimistic.

At least 2 posts have mentioned that I should “back off”. I can’t back off any farther than I already have. The letters I submitted to The Bangkok Post and The Nation were declined for publication. I haven’t bothered to write since. The story has left the public eye, and will almost certainly never return. Stories which portray Thais in a negative way and threaten the all-important tourist industry do have a way of getting buried. It is now 2 weeks since the incident, and we still have not been contacted by any reporters. Neither has the security guard. No one is intersted in covering the story.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

Marks

Marks,

I was sorry to hear about your friends injuries sustained in the unjustified attack by the taxi driver, and the lack of interest in your case by the press etc. I do believe that cases such as yours, and other incidents where foriegners and Thais are involved should be publicised more widely, either in an effort to get to the bottom of the story and seek a just conclusion, or to serve as a warning to others that in spite of everything Thailand has to offer to visitors and expats , it remains one of the many countries in the world where fairness and truth are in very short supply, and if difficulties are encountered you are pretty much on your own.

The English language press should be the vehicles for such publicity but all too often they are not,self preservation of the Thai image is all, and criticism and conjecture are not welcomed or tolerated.This seems to be the case on a personal as well as a national level.

In spite of skyscrapers,skytrains,and all the development that Thailand has undergone in the past 30 years,morally it remains firmly stuck in the seventeenth century. If you are looking to get some form of justice out of this then I think you will need very deep pockets and/or some high level contacts,otherwise you just have to accept that you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.It happens to lots of Thais on a daily basis, it's sad but true.

Personally I love the country,warts and all,but in 15 years I have never had much in the way of bad experiences.If I were to be as unfortunate as you and your friend then I would pack up and leave for sure.

I wish you and your friend well.

Mrentoul,

Your claims about my access to the media are correct. I was able to get the Bangkok Post to print that we denied vomiting in the taxi, and The Nation printed 2 sentences from a letter I wrote to them on Aug. 9.

Mark....Why would you require a Lawyer?...Aren't you the aggrieved party!!

Take a bit of free advise...leave it alone and let the law take it's course.  My legal background would suggest you are eventually get caught up with a short memory.

Marks, you assume the position that the English language newspapers have an obligation to cover YOUR story. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. I agree that the initial reaction from the English press was to cover the sensational aspects of your story, but that's the news media for you -- after all, they have a wide audience and a lot of issues to contend with. But you did get your point of view across in The Nation, though it was only a small paragraph or two, if I remember correctly -- but at least I noticed it. But I will take exception to your comments about the English language media only caring about Thailand's image. Complete <deleted>, my friend, and a typical reaction from someone who feels hard done by and friendless in this world. I'm an avid reader of newspapers and magazines, and I can state categorically that the coverage of issues that affect Thailand is pretty #### fair. For example, how many times do you read in newspaper stories about officials condemning the English language newspapers for slighting "Thailand's image"? Often, in my opinion (especially under this government). (And don't forget what the English language newspapers did during May, 1992.) I think you've lost your sense of balance as a result of your incident. I want nothing more than to see justice done in your case -- but please get your feet back on the ground.

Dex.