Indian Food Supplies

karlski

Howdy,

I'm a vegetarian that had a lot lot lot of access to Indian food in San Francisco, CA. So much so that I usually made everything at home.

My favorites are saag paneer (spinach/cheese) lentil daal (lentils with various seasonings) and channa masala (chick peas/garbanzo beans and masala sauce).

The curries seem easy enough to get at just about any store, -but many of them are for chicken, etc. which I don't eat.

Is there any place I can buy lentil beans (yellow, orange or brown/black?)

Is there anyplace I can buy chick peas/ garbanzo beans?

I dont expect to find any pre-made microwave indian dishes, but are they out there someplace? Just finding lentils would be huge. Legumes (as they are called in french) are an excellent protein combo with brown rice.

I make them indian style, and also in other forms, -sometimes adding tamari or "Bragg Liquid Aminos) or broccoli/potato/onion for lentil soup. A solid slice of wheat bread, and you are IN THERE.

The main lentils i'm seeking are the brown ones. They make the best soup. The yellow ones are my #1 for Daal. I can't afford to pay restaurant prices, and most of this sounds 'imported' to begin with, but anyone know where to find the goods?

-karlski

Howdy,

I'm a vegetarian that had a lot lot lot of access to Indian food in San Francisco, CA. So much so that I usually made everything at home.

My favorites are saag paneer (spinach/cheese) lentil daal (lentils with various seasonings) and channa masala (chick peas/garbanzo beans and masala sauce).

The curries seem easy enough to get at just about any store, -but many of them are for chicken, etc. which I don't eat.

Is there any place I can buy lentil beans (yellow, orange or brown/black?)

Is there anyplace I can buy chick peas/ garbanzo beans?

I dont expect to find any pre-made microwave indian dishes, but are they out there someplace? Just finding lentils would be huge. Legumes (as they are called in french) are an excellent protein combo with brown rice.

I make them indian style, and also in other forms, -sometimes adding tamari or "Bragg Liquid Aminos) or broccoli/potato/onion for lentil soup. A solid slice of wheat bread, and you are IN THERE.

The main lentils i'm seeking are the brown ones. They make the best soup. The yellow ones are my #1 for Daal. I can't afford to pay restaurant prices, and most of this sounds 'imported' to begin with, but anyone know where to find the goods?

-karlski

As a fellow vegie most pulses can be found in main supermarkets. Tesco Lotus Carrefour or Foodland but as I live in Pattaya no idea what supermarkets you have in Puket. Also available is TVP or soy protien chunks which are a lot cheaper than in the UK and I use in Rogan Josh for example.

Kevin