Growing Potatoes

Gary A

I had a potato in the refrigerator that had sprouted. It was a fairly large potato. I cut it in half and made two mounds of dirt. It is good dirt in that area. The plant grew nicely and I fertilized it some.

When the green tops started to whither, I took my bucket and shovel to dig up the mounds. I simply couldn't believe that there were absolutely NO potatoes. Not even marble size. NONE!

I had a potato in the refrigerator that had sprouted. It was a fairly large potato. I cut it in half and made two mounds of dirt. It is good dirt in that area. The plant grew nicely and I fertilized it some.

When the green tops started to whither, I took my bucket and shovel to dig up the mounds. I simply couldn't believe that there were absolutely NO potatoes. Not even marble size. NONE!

If the original was a Tesco potato it obviously had corporate homing instincts generically built in. You should have marked the bits somehow so they would be reproduced on the offspring and you could make a scene in the local supermarket.

Check the status on the nearby dung beetles etc.. are they smiling? Guess where the spuds have gone?

Besides, Tesco potatoes make lousey chips!

:o

Not a single fish in the ponds, now not a single potato.

I await the poster that suggests growing potatoes and I am keen to see your response to them, as I find your responses to the new fish farmers very amusing. I am sorry that I laughed when I read your post and will be ecstatic for you when you post a success story.

Whatever my wife plants grows well, she tried the same thing with some potato’s with the same result. She says that it is far too hot here and the correct time to dig them up is just as the flower is dying. If the plant has no flowers, you can be pretty sure there are no spuds.

There are many successful potato farms in the North though.

The way I've grown potatoes before (not Thailand) is plant in an old tyre filled with soil, when the leaf growth is about 6 inches above the soil in the tyre, put another tyre on top and fill it with soil, repeat a few times. Knocking the pile open is an easy way to harvest the crop.

Pests that eat the potatoes should be easy to see - I remember using a sulphur based powder to kill them.

Fresh potato salad - small potatoes boiled Canarian Style - very lovely. :o

The way I've grown potatoes before (not Thailand) is plant in an old tyre filled with soil, when the leaf growth is about 6 inches above the soil in the tyre, put another tyre on top and fill it with soil, repeat a few times. Knocking the pile open is an easy way to harvest the crop.

Pests that eat the potatoes should be easy to see - I remember using a sulphur based powder to kill them.

Fresh potato salad - small potatoes boiled Canarian Style - very lovely. :o

I planted the potatoes in a mound a little above ground level. Every couple of weeks I would take the hoe and build it up some more. I ended up with a mound about 20 inches high before the bush withered and died. I was POSITIVE that I would have potatoes. Maybe they do need cooler weather ????????

One of our members SAP is a successful commercial grower and posted many tips on earlier threads.

I have visited the big farm he managed and do recall that pototoes should be in the ground by November and harvest in February ,(in NE Thailand).

SAP has returned to NZ to grow spuds commercially, but he may pop into the forum with a few tips.

I planted the potatoes in a mound a little above ground level. Every couple of weeks I would take the hoe and build it up some more. I ended up with a mound about 20 inches high before the bush withered and died. I was POSITIVE that I would have potatoes. Maybe they do need cooler weather ????????

:D

I live in Pattaya, and have tried various veg seeds from the UK. The results are the same for tomatoes,runner beans and potatoes . You get at best small flowers that drop off straight away, premature shrivelling from the heat, and no veg to eat.

I even tried radishes, which in England you can almost guarantee 100% crop growth. Here I got a miserable 6 or so from a couple of hundred seeds.

I have tried green net to help shade things, but have concluded that its just too hot here in Pattaya anyway.

Such is life. I shall continue to buy veg in the local markets until a heat resistant crop strain has been developed!! :o

Hi

I have been talking with Lickey about the best way to grow spuds in Thailand as a hobby farmer. Biggest issues is getting good seed. Importing it is not economical and a huge hassle, guys in far north (Chaing rai area, and Mae sot maybe able to get your hands on some that the local farmers use for the crisping the factories.

SO far Lickey has tested A tesco spud as seed. It had been treated with a sprout inhibitor and growth was abnormal to say the least. It looks like local market spuds are less likly to be treated with the sprout inhibitor.

A few quick tips

Water and fertilize like a tomato plant

Buy seed from market and leave 3 month before planting (next season buy it 5-6 months before planting)

Plant 15cm deep and make one nice shaped hill, with seed 15 cm deep. I am not sure if the tyre trick will work in Thailand, as it is likely to increase the heat of the soil.

Plant in Oct/Nov/Dec OK Optimal date about Nov 10-20

Good luck, and please post some photo's of the results

SAP

Ok Sap, will try to tell the story with pics so far,,

With SAPs guidance; Bought some tesco spuds. [in orange net bag] kept in fridge for 1 month, [temp 9c ] I explained that we have heavy red clay soil, SAP suggested getting a compost heap going at this stage, which i did, using sawdust [from untreated wood] chicken, cow crap,kitchen waste [no meat] spear grass,rakings from under the tamarind trees, brown banana leaves,

Ive added bits and pieces every day and turn the heap once a week, While it was "working" steam and stink would rise when turning, 3 months later and its stopped working, so now its covered to help it dry out, there are lots of red worms at the bottom too.

That compost should lighten up the soil once dug in, on raised beds.

Onto the tesco spud, pic 1, this is what SAP described as a spastic spud, far to many tubers from the same "eye" pic 2 is a Namsom market spud, you can see the tuber looks thick and healthy,then a pic of when this sprouted and then 10 days later, tonights pic after 3 days of good sunshine,

You need a cool dark place to keep the spuds before planting, it seems the market tates havent taken kindly to the fridge, the sprouting tips have gone black, not a good sign, so they are roasters or bakers now!! and of course my organic compost heap pic, 1 of 3 i have going.

Cheers, Lickey.

post-41116-1222786412_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1222786438_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1222786529_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1222786558_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1222786610_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1222787207_thumb.jpg

We have a new two meter high wall around the half rai we added to the property our house sits on. The wall hopefully will keep the chickens, ducks, dogs, thieves and kids off the property. I really lost heart after everything we grew on the farm was stolen. With this area protected and near the house maybe I can put more effort into having another shot at gardening.

We have a new two meter high wall around the half rai we added to the property our house sits on. The wall hopefully will keep the chickens, ducks, dogs, thieves and kids off the property. I really lost heart after everything we grew on the farm was stolen. With this area protected and near the house maybe I can put more effort into having another shot at gardening.

Don’t forget about the 24/7 armed guard patrolling the perimeter of the wall, Gary. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Update on potato pics, 12 days on,

Im a little worried that the spud is starting to bolt a bit? perhaps because its still too hot here [34c days 28c nights] or i gave it too much bat guano?

SAP, please advise on this, thanks,

Also, the spuds i buy from the market now have no shoots atall and are very firm, so i would think these are newish spuds? Ive got a dozen or so in a cool place with fingers crossed that they are seed spuds!

Below are the pics, i was hoping that it would "green up" more before getting tall, same as a euro spud, perhaps things are different here?

post-41116-1223664721_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1223664741_thumb.jpg

Hi Rice, i have to say its got to go ahead with the planting, the beds are ready, the compost is ready, the spuds i hope are ready?

I have to add i got the night time temp wrong, 28c was indoors, out doors its 22c,

My currant bun and tom thumb {who started this rything slang? } my son and mum are coming here in mid-november and gonna bring me some UK seed tates, whether they will grow or not remains to be seen? perhaps not enough daylight hours?

And im thinking of changing my forum name to Percy Vere, so hopefully will grow my own spuds one day, 50bht a kilo on market today.

Cheers, Lickey.

Update on potato pics, 12 days on,

Im a little worried that the spud is starting to bolt a bit? perhaps because its still too hot here [34c days 28c nights] or i gave it too much bat guano?

SAP, please advise on this, thanks,

Also, the spuds i buy from the market now have no shoots atall and are very firm, so i would think these are newish spuds? Ive got a dozen or so in a cool place with fingers crossed that they are seed spuds!

Below are the pics, i was hoping that it would "green up" more before getting tall, same as a euro spud, perhaps things are different here?

Lickey that looks good.

If you have any seed from this same lot, use it for your main planting as it looks fine, its not bolting its just growing fast. I would have a guess that it should start flowering either now or this week. If you have any 15 15 15 or something maybe feed it a teaspoon. It maybe an idea to support the tops like a tomato plant, as they are likely to fall over and crack.

SAP

• 3 months later...

In a word No, why? because thai labour had sprayed too strong a mixture of herbicide on our farm salad beds, 2 spuds out of 20 broke the surface then died, hence all herbicides,insecticides are banned from the farm,

I will endeavour to find some more seed potato, store and plant again in November, hopefully the rain will leach & clean the soil.

Well, thats been my experience, any others had sucess?

Cheers, Lickey,,