Getting That Hotmail Upgrade

Firefoxx

Enter hotmail, go into your profile. Change your location to somewhere in the US, and hopefully a valid state and Zip code (do a google or mapquest search). You'll get upgraded to 250MB within a couple of days.

No Gmail vs Yahoo vs Hotmail bashing please.

Go to options on the homepage of Hotmail mate! I just did it and now I'm locked out 'cos it thinks I'm a kid, so I've got to go in under another Hotmail address and provide credit card details (which I don't ruddy have!) to get access!

Edited by kenkannif

I think that this method generally works, perhaps with a few exceptions. My hotmail account, which I've had for several years, was never upgraded. That is, until a couple of weeks ago, two days after I changed my profile address to the US.

bluebear, you could try changing your address to the US and wait a few days to see if that makes any difference. Perhaps the US and UK don't receiv equal treatment (I wouldn't be surprised).

If your Hotmail account is to be upgraded to 250MB, you should already have received the following notice:

Big News: Free Storage increase to 250MB

FREE 250MB of storage capacity is coming to your MSN Hotmail e-mail account. We are increasing your online storage to 250MB—that’s over 100 times the storage you have now.

That’s not all we are also increasing your attachment size from 1MB to 10MB! This means that you can send and receive more messages without worrying about available storage space. You’ll be able to see party photos, hear new songs and watch video clips that your friends e-mail to you.

You may already have your increased storage--look for this upgrade to your account, between now and the end of November.

Once you account has been upgraded, you'll then receive the following notice:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR ACCOUNT

Dear MSN® Hotmail® Member:

Congratulations on your storage upgrade from 2MB to 250MB!

As a valued MSN Hotmail Member, you have been specially selected to receive a special storage upgrade - at no cost to you. We've increased the storage capacity of your Hotmail account from 2MB to 250MB and increased your attachment size from 1MB to 10MB .

So what does this mean for you?

Well, now you can store even more emails and share larger attachments such as photos, music and video clips and more. Please note, you don't have to take any action - we have taken care of upgrading your account for you. Your storage meter should now read 250MB.

Take a look at the table to the right to see how we've upgraded your Hotmail Account.

We'd like to thank you for being a valued MSN Hotmail Member and enjoy your increased storage!

Thank you,

MSN Hotmail Member Services

Note, the update completion date is "end of November". As with most Microsoft projects, dates have a tendency to slip, somewhat, so if your not updated by the 2nd week of December, I'd send Hotmail Support here, an enquiring as to your status.

If your Hotmail account is to be upgraded to 250MB, you should already have received the following notice:

Big News: Free Storage increase to 250MB......

I got my upgrade recently, and at the same time I saw a link to some FAQs (can't find it now, dammit) that stated that the access to Hotmail using Outlook and Outlook Express will stop soon. So I've gone over to GMail, which does have that access.

Sorry Firefoxx, just a little bit of Hotmail bashing :o

I got my upgrade recently, and at the same time I saw a link to some FAQs (can't find it now, dammit) that stated that the access to Hotmail using Outlook and Outlook Express will stop soon. So I've gone over to GMail, which does have that access.

Sorry Firefoxx, just a little bit of Hotmail bashing :o

RDN - Your probably referring to the following articles:

PC World

The Register - UK

Have requested clarification from "the horses mouth". :D

Hotmail Up Grade. Just to say the same thing (POST CODE) works with U K Address as with U S ZIP. if you have a Thai address/post code you are stuck with 2mb  hotmail.

So change your profile address to U K or U S with new post code

it works  Pip

I have a Thai address with Hotmail and got upgraded last week to 250mb for free.