Atm In Penang.

A major problem in using any ATM card in Penang is that a lot of the ATMs are set up to accept 5 digit PINs, and only 5 digit PINs.

Since all of my ATM cards and credit cards (both UK and Thai) only have 4 digit PINs, this was a major hassle the first time I went there. I tried all the obvious workarounds (e.g. putting in a leading zero) with no avail. Also, you have to be careful with this since the machine will invalidate/confiscate your card if you enter too many wrong PINs.

I was reduced to taking my credit card and passport into a bank and withdrawing cash that way. Obviously this is only possible during banking hours.

However, some ATMs are set up to accept 4 digit PINs. You just have to look around to find one of these.

My wife had exactly the same problem when she went to visit her pal in KL and was reduced to borrowing from her hosts.

When were you in Penang? Is this recent?

This time last year.

The problem first arose the year before. I contacted my UK banks and one of them (HSBC) told me it was a long standing issue and to look around for a "4-digit" ATM. Which I duly did.

As a matter of interest , I went back to one of the "5-digit" ATM machines and it was exactly as it had been the year before. I would add that this "deviant" machine was plastered with stickers that implied it was compatible with all major cards.

When were you in Penang? Is this recent?
This time last year.

The problem first arose the year before. I contacted my UK banks and one of them (HSBC) told me it was a long standing issue and to look around for a "4-digit" ATM. Which I duly did.

Maybank were fine with Thai ATM cards (4 digit PIN) in September 2007.

5 digit PIN's? Is this serious?

Malaysian Bank ATM's use 6 digit PIN's.

Despite that, I have never had any problems (or have heard of anyone having problems) with a 4 digit PIN. I would say:

· Stick to major banks (Maybank, Hong Leong, CIMB/Bumiputra)

· Select the "current" account

· You must inform your Thai (or Western) bank you will use ATM's in Malaysia so they can remove automatic security locks (there is a lot of bank fraud in Malaysia). Even then, be prepared to call your bank/credit card company to prove you are you

· There are sometimes "communication issues" and you will need to try later.

Just curious, you mentioned (in an earlier post) contacting one of your UK bank accounts (HSBC) about the problem - did you have any problems with Thai ATM cards?

I don't know since I didn't try my Thai ATM cards. However they also have 4 digit PINs.

Thanks to KL Expat for correcting my recollection, Malaysian ATMs are set up to require 6 digit PINs.

I don't really know anything about ATM technology but I would speculate some of the machines are smart enough to recognise a non-Malaysian card and deal with it appropriately by asking for a 4 digit PIN. Some machines are not that smart and ask for 6 digits.

Going back to the OP's question (will Thai ATM cards work in Penang) my point is simply that if the machine asks for more PIN digits than you have, go elsewhere. This is what I ended up doing and everything was fine after that.

A major problem in using any ATM card in Penang is that a lot of the ATMs are set up to accept 5 digit PINs, and only 5 digit PINs.

I wonder if you misunderstood

As Malaysian PIN numbers have 6 digits the input will terminate automatically after 6 digits.

If your PIN is 4 digits, you must press the Enter key to say you have finished entering the PIN.

I think these strange ATM machines are ones from banks that only have a connection to the national network of banks or are only good for the the bank it belongs to. In that case the 6 digit pin would be the only type it would be programed for. One from a bank that is connected to the international network would accept any pin number no matter how many digits.

Also International atm's often have a cirrus or pulse sign on them.