Living Legally And Possibly Working In Thailand

good afternoon everyone ,i need some help to my questions,my thai wife and i are returning to thailand from uk we plan to invest in property that will give us a reasonable return and relax with our family.I have an income from uk of £500 a month , we also have income from thailand of 30,000 THB a month ,rent from a property in my wifes name.We wish to invest £130,000 in property and live off the return.Also if i was offered a job would i need to travel back to the uk for a work permit and ,how would this affect my non imm o visa?? Regards Chris

If i was offered a job would i need to travel back to the uk for a work permit and ,how would this affect my non imm o visa?? Regards Chris
You do not need to return to the UK, because if you qualify, you apply for a Work Permit here in Thailand, at your local labour dept; you are already on a non immigrant visa, which is one of the criteria for the application..

You apply for a non-immigrant O visa at a consulate, with proof of your marriage and a nice letter from your wife asking for a visa for you. When in Thailand during your last 30 days of perrmitted to stay you apply for an extension based on your marriage at the local immigration office, together with the misses. (better call the immigration office before you go, to see which documents you will need). You will need to show proof of a family income of 40,000 baht or more. For income from within Thailand you should show the tax-papers. For the part of income from abroad you have to go to your embassy and ask a letter from them stating your income. You will also need some photo's of you and your wife inside the house, a map to the house and they will interview your wife and visit your house.

Note that your wife can immport the household goods duty free if she ships all the things in her name.

good afternoon everyone ,i need some help to my questions,my thai wife and i are returning to thailand from uk we plan to invest in property that will give us a reasonable return and relax with our family.I have an income from uk of £500 a month , we also have income from thailand of 30,000 THB a month ,rent from a property in my wifes name.We wish to invest £130,000 in property and live off the return.Also if i was offered a job would i need to travel back to the uk for a work permit and ,how would this affect my non imm o visa?? Regards Chris

1. Before departing the UK go to consulate and get a 90 day non-o visa based upon marriage.

2.Your income from the UK comes out at about 30,500 baht. Not quite enough to meet the 40,000 income requirement. The rental property income can make up the difference as soon as you get Thailand find a reputable accountant (that deals with Thai's not farangs) and get his assistance with making tax payments on all or part of that income to get you to the 40,000 mark. For your income go to the consulate and get the letter showing your income. After you sort all that out go to immigration and apply for a one year extension before your 90 days is up.

3. If you find a job. It is your employers responsibility to get the work permit. No problem getting WP with a non-o visa married to a Thai. You don't need to go back to the UK for this.

The investment is up to you.

If you have 130k GBP to invest, can I suggest that a better (and maybe safer) investment route is to bank the money with a relaible investment fund (such as Generali or one of the other overseas investment funds), and then receive a regular income without touching the capital).

Believe me, you will sleep much better at night :o

Simon

If you have 130k GBP to invest, can I suggest that a better (and maybe safer) investment route is to bank the money with a relaible investment fund (such as Generali or one of the other overseas investment funds), and then receive a regular income without touching the capital).

Believe me, you will sleep much better at night :D

Simon

In the past I would have agreed with you, but I am not so sure about Investment Funds these days. :o

Coming back to the OP's question.

You need a combined family income of 40K baht per month, originating from Thailand

or overseas for a one year extension of your Non O visa.

For Thai income you must show tax receipts, for overseas you need

a supporting letter from your embassy.

You can work on the Non O visa.

You will need to apply for a Work Permit in Thailand. Overseas embassies cannot help

with WP's.

1. Before departing the UK go to consulate and get a 90 day non-o visa based upon marriage.

2.Your income from the UK comes out at about 30,500 baht. Not quite enough to meet the 40,000 income requirement. The rental property income can make up the difference as soon as you get Thailand find a reputable accountant (that deals with Thai's not farangs) and get his assistance with making tax payments on all or part of that income to get you to the 40,000 mark. For your income go to the consulate and get the letter showing your income. After you sort all that out go to immigration and apply for a one year extension before your 90 days is up.

3. If you find a job. It is your employers responsibility to get the work permit. No problem getting WP with a non-o visa married to a Thai. You don't need to go back to the UK for this.

The investment is up to you.

many thanks :o

Believe me, you will sleep much better at night :o

Simon

cheers ,but with the way things are on the money fronts,thailand property is turning over an average of 13 % per anum down south.