Mooban Wangtan How To Enjoy Life Here?

farangajarn

Hello folks. First posting here. I just moved into a small home in Mooban WangTan in Hang Dong. I teach at Lanna International School. I have lived the last several years next to CMU so this area is new for me. Ideas? Suggestions? comments on WangTan? the area? Many thanks

Hi there . . .

We've lived in WangTan this last year and like it enough to be buiding a house here.

I would suggest that if you don't, then learn to like the dogs otherwise it can

be both annoying and frustrating . . . and make sure your garden fence is dog proof.

The pool is great, but gets busy with kids after school! If you go eartly, then you can

get away without paying the 20Bt fee :o

The resteraunt is a great asset and location is superb - sadly can't say the same about the food!

It is very hit and miss and we rarely eat there as they've nearly always run out of what you want, or

it's so spicey that you can't eat it, or they forget part of the order, or substitute without asking

if they're short of something!

A little resto immediately outside the main gate (with the carved monkey)

does really really good food incuding Kao Soi.

To get to know the locals, go for a stroll early evening (preferably

with a cute puppy or baby)

If you fancy a beer - we live at 505 :D

(Oh, and avoid Dustoff . . . he likes flashing his bits!)

David and Jup

Hello folks. First posting here. I just moved into a small home in Mooban WangTan in Hang Dong. I teach at Lanna International School. I have lived the last several years next to CMU so this area is new for me. Ideas? Suggestions? comments on WangTan? the area? Many thanks

Hello, Ajarn.

We have a small group that meets on Saturdays in Ban Wang Tan to practice Japanese karate. It's FREE ! If you want to exercise, you are welcome to join us.

We have emailed your employer numerous times to offer FREE lessons in karate either at their school or they are also welcome to come on Saturdays. They have never replied.

The website for the karate group is www.japankarate-cnx.net . You can email to [email protected] or call 089-953-3142.

We also practice at CMU on Mondays and Wednesdays.... and, as state above, it is totally free.

Hello

Just a quick check.. any ideas if there are houses there for rent? What is the going rental rates for a house in Moo Baan Wan Tan for either a 3bedroom/2bathroom or 3bedroom/3bathroom, 2floors?

Thanks

Hi there X

Most of the houses here are bungalows.

Rents are available all over, starting at 7500 for 2 bed ( I think)

Going rate for nice 3 bed bungalow is about 12000.

PM me if you'd like me to show you round . . .

David

Hi there . . .

We've lived in WangTan this last year and like it enough to be buiding a house here.

I would suggest that if you don't, then learn to like the dogs otherwise it can

be both annoying and frustrating . . . and make sure your garden fence is dog proof.

The pool is great, but gets busy with kids after school! If you go eartly, then you can

get away without paying the 20Bt fee :o

The resteraunt is a great asset and location is superb - sadly can't say the same about the food!

It is very hit and miss and we rarely eat there as they've nearly always run out of what you want, or

it's so spicey that you can't eat it, or they forget part of the order, or substitute without asking

if they're short of something!

A little resto immediately outside the main gate (with the carved monkey)

does really really good food incuding Kao Soi.

To get to know the locals, go for a stroll early evening (preferably

with a cute puppy or baby)

If you fancy a beer - we live at 505 :D

(Oh, and avoid Dustoff . . . he likes flashing his bits!)

David and Jup

Just a quick reply,you say that you have deciced to build a house.We are thinking about the same but are a farang couple can you give any advice it will be much appreciated.

Thank you for the replies. Also thanks to those of you who kindly offerred private invitations. I will be trying to contact you as time permits. Some good ideas like the monkey restaurant and the karate classes for my school. I will tell them about it. As for me I am a bit too out of shape to consider it without a few months of weight loss first, which I am trying to do. LIfe here seems pretty nice, I enjoy the green and the trees, thats it not too crowded and almost a country feel when I bicycle around. Good luck to those thinking of building here. I bought my home from one of the ones already built here and it was excellent value.

Thank you for the replies. Also thanks to those of you who kindly offerred private invitations. I will be trying to contact you as time permits. Some good ideas like the monkey restaurant and the karate classes for my school. I will tell them about it. As for me I am a bit too out of shape to consider it without a few months of weight loss first, which I am trying to do. LIfe here seems pretty nice, I enjoy the green and the trees, thats it not too crowded and almost a country feel when I bicycle around. Good luck to those thinking of building here. I bought my home from one of the ones already built here and it was excellent value.

Hello, Ajarn.

Glad you got some information that helps you.

As for "being in shape", etc., as far as karate.... no problem at all. It is just a way to exercise. You exercise to what fits your needs..... at least in our class. No competition or rivalry. Our effort is more towards being able to control ones self.... not necessarily others.

I have been living in Ban Wang Tan for almost 8 years. I paid for my first house here a few years before that.

Good luck!

Hi again Well you give me inspiration to consider karate as exercise. I will give it some thought. In the meantime I have given my school your karate information and our secondary principal, Kevin should be getting in touch with your group for doing it as a possible school activity. Thank you for that.

Hi there X

Most of the houses here are bungalows.

Rents are available all over, starting at 7500 for 2 bed ( I think)

Going rate for nice 3 bed bungalow is about 12000.

PM me if you'd like me to show you round . . .

David

Hi David

Thanks for invite. I actually live very nearby your Moo Baan. I'm at Peet Khun Tong just outside of Wan Tan. Its a small Moo Baan of terrace houses. I like this part of Chiang Mai a lot as it is not far from town and quiet.. except of occasional plane flying in and out which I pretty much got used to by now.

I am currently looking to buy a unit here at Peet Khun Tong and we'd see if the deal goes ok before I go into Wan Tan to look see again. Might have to drive around Wan Tan to take down numbers to call for rental or purchase. Sometimes getting loans from banks are not so easy as they require us foreigner husbands to come out with 50% downpayments for homes.... Well, many can afford it.. some like me might have to struggle a bit.

Just a short intro, I am Singaporean with a small biz set up here, married to a Thai and have a kid. Life is good in Chiang Mai. I like it here very much compared to rat race life stye back in Singapore.

Might take up your invitation sometime and chat.

Cheers

Xilverxurfer