Where To Buy A Roto-tiller In Nothernmost Thailand?

brahmburgers

In Chiang Rai, there are dozens of shops selling farm equipment, but not one has a rototiller for sale.

I'm referring to the type so common in western countries for tilling a vege garden. with a 2 to 5 hp gas motor, and tines about 2 feet wide. I went through a catalog with the shop owner of one of the largest shops. We did find one that could be ordered, but it only had tines and didn't have wheels. The only way to maneuver it was with a little metal strip for a tiller. Sort of like sailing a yacht and using a yardstick as a rudder. I didn't order it.

Two types of roto-tillers: The rear-tine (wheels in front) machines are more expensive and are smoother to use, but I'm partial to the front-tine types, with the wheels directly behind the wheels. I'm familiar with the so-called 'iron buffalo' tillers used by Asians on rice paddies. They're considerably different in that they're much bigger and heavier - more like a two wheeled tractor.

Any leads - whether for a new or used machine, let me know, thanks.

In Chiang Rai, there are dozens of shops selling farm equipment, but not one has a rototiller for sale.

I'm referring to the type so common in western countries for tilling a vege garden. with a 2 to 5 hp gas motor, and tines about 2 feet wide. I went through a catalog with the shop owner of one of the largest shops. We did find one that could be ordered, but it only had tines and didn't have wheels. The only way to maneuver it was with a little metal strip for a tiller. Sort of like sailing a yacht and using a yardstick as a rudder. I didn't order it.

Two types of roto-tillers: The rear-tine (wheels in front) machines are more expensive and are smoother to use, but I'm partial to the front-tine types, with the wheels directly behind the wheels. I'm familiar with the so-called 'iron buffalo' tillers used by Asians on rice paddies. They're considerably different in that they're much bigger and heavier - more like a two wheeled tractor.

Hello

I seen a shop in Mai Sai it was on one of the side streets to the left of the main road about 1 or 2 k from the border. If I remember right they had 2 or 3 different models and I don't remember the brand name but assme its chinese. I was there last Dec and it took me quite a few trips down the side streets to find the place. I've been on the look out for a tiller also but am looking for something smaller so I can use it on raised beds. Good luck in your pursuit.

G'day Brahmburgers,

They are for sale in Chum Phae 100 km east of Khon Kaen. In fact my mate has one and has left it at my place while he goes off to work for a few months. When he bought it the locals thought it wasn't very good but after seeing it work they liked it.

The detachable wheels are on the same axle /shaft as the tiller blades and there is also a furrow blade attachment. It is belt and enclosed chain driven from a 3.5 hp motor. I couldnt tell you how much it was and cant send you a photo as I am offshore at the moment...but they are around and I hope you find one closer to your place.

Khun Andy

Edited by khunandy

Hello

I seen a shop in Mai Sai it was on one of the side streets to the left of the main road about 1 or 2 k from the border. If I remember right they had 2 or 3 different models and I don't remember the brand name but assme its chinese. I was there last Dec and it took me quite a few trips down the side streets to find the place. I've been on the look out for a tiller also but am looking for something smaller so I can use it on raised beds. Good luck in your pursuit.

Sorry, correction its on a side road to your left as you are heading from the border towards Chiang Rai.

On the road to the bus station, have you checked one of the first shops on the left (before Sahaphaiboon)? They were the only shop in town that has a riding lawn-mower, and I think I saw some tiller-like machines there.

Hello brahmbugers, have you searched T-V farming forum? A bout 7-8 months back there was a thread and a url for a Thai Co. (maybe under chippers)

Most of the Thai Ag Magazines have adds for them with pictures, they list all the dealers phone numbers, just look for your area code.

rice555