Pedestrian Crossing Rules

Governor

Having just seen an elderly Thai lady trying cross a road with two young children on what looked like I would call a pedestrian crossing, complete with a pictorial sign of person crossing a road and a flashing light, I wondered what the actual law is regarding these, I accept there is no courtesy.

I realise that the laws in Thailand are only obeyed at peoples whim, but this woman looked genuinely scared, cars, buses and trucks did not attempt to even slow down, whilst some were sounding their horns an apparent anger that she should be so stupid to attempt to cross the road.

No smart answers please, or suggestions that I should leave the country, but I would like to know what the rules actually are.

In all honesty - there aren't any.

People cross wherever they like so they don't get any preferential treatment from motorists when they happen to be on zebra crossing.

Some would stop, out of courtesy, others would drive through. It's not easy to suddenly brake in three-four lane traffic.

Pedestrians usually wait for a traffic light change when not many cars come from the nearest intersection.

Rule book is the last thing that comes into play here.

Hi :o

Or they do it consequently - like near Sukhumvit 101, there's a zebra crossing with a push-button traffic light extra for it, and additional TWO cops to guard it! As a result, a single pedestrian successfully halts traffic on all six very busy lanes for close to three minutes as that traffic light has the usual Thai eternal red cycle. Every morning this one crossing is the reason for major jams in both directions on Sukhumvit.

Oh, and a pedestrian overpass is some 50 meters away (and was there for some years while the zebra/traffic light crossing is rather new) but of course nobody can be arsed to use that one. You'd have to climb stairs! Mission impossible.

Regards....

Thanh

but I would like to know what the rules actually are.

:o:D:D

If you are serious the drivers test centre is on Sukhumvit about Soi 85 they have books in English. If memory serves it is something like "be prepared to slowdown for people crossing"

Edited by VocalNeal

Not getting very far are we ?

The reason people sound their horns in anger is that a pedestrian crossing is a VERY DANGEROUS place to stop a vehicle as you stand a very high chance of being rear ended and must be why a lot of them have been changed into dedicated noodle sales areas.

Having just seen an elderly Thai lady trying cross a road with two young children on what looked like I would call a pedestrian crossing, complete with a pictorial sign of person crossing a road and a flashing light, I wondered what the actual law is regarding these, I accept there is no courtesy.

I realise that the laws in Thailand are only obeyed at peoples whim, but this woman looked genuinely scared, cars, buses and trucks did not attempt to even slow down, whilst some were sounding their horns an apparent anger that she should be so stupid to attempt to cross the road.

No smart answers please, or suggestions that I should leave the country, but I would like to know what the rules actually are.

Run?

but I would like to know what the rules actually are.

:o:D

If you are serious the drivers test centre is on Sukhumvit about Soi 85 they have books in English. If memory serves it is something like "be prepared to slowdown for people crossing"

Yeah from 60 to 59kmh?

:D

Govenor. I look for those flashing yellow lights. I know what they mean. I slow down & look to see if anyone is in the zebra cross.

I really believe the law of the land is that vehicles have to give way to peds using those crosswalks.

Govenor. I look for those flashing yellow lights. I know what they mean. I slow down & look to see if anyone is in the zebra cross.

I really believe the law of the land is that vehicles have to give way to peds using those crosswalks.

Thanks dotcom, I think you are probably correct and that is my approach, but as usual the rules of the road and common courtesy do not apply if it means a driver needs to slow down for a fraction of a second, and heaven forbid that a traffic delay should occur because someone had the tenacity to want to cross the road at a designated pedestrian crossing.

A bit more about what I observed, the crossing I saw had no skywalk anywhere on the road, all the cars and a bus were driving a full speed though they could clearly see the elderly lady and the kids stuck half-way on the crossing, they would have also seen that a few meters further on that they would have needed to stop a line of traffic waiting a red light. I have seen some sights on the roads in Thailand, but this really amazed me.

I suppose to get to be elderly lady she must have survived many such crossings of the road, but she was clearly confused, she eventually got accross when a young Thai guy went onto the crossing and helped her.

I agree with you that many Thai drivers are bullys & rude. But many also will yield (give way).

As sweet natured as most of the Thai's are you would expect a tiny bit more courtesy on the roads.

Of course then you get some shorty, piloting his Fortuner, 95 % tinted glass. yakking on his mobile who might as well be on another planet. OBLIVIOUS.

I just renewed my Thak drivers license in Bangkok and was required to watch a movie on Thai traffic laws. I was surprised to learn there is a fine for failing to stop at a crosswalk. As I recall it was 500 Baht. Surprise! Surprise!

Don't expect many to stop and don't walk out in front of a bus. If a car does stop watch out for the motorcycle coming around it.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
On 10/6/2008 at 1:05 PM, dorayme said:

I just renewed my Thak drivers license in Bangkok and was required to watch a movie on Thai traffic laws. I was surprised to learn there is a fine for failing to stop at a crosswalk. As I recall it was 500 Baht. Surprise! Surprise!

Don't expect many to stop and don't walk out in front of a bus. If a car does stop watch out for the motorcycle coming around it.

There are rules regarding pedestrians enshrined in Thai law Traffic must give way (Thai Driving Regulations Land Traffic act 1979 attached) especially where schoolchildren are concerned. The rule with the 500 baht fine regarding zebra crossings or crosswalks was first enforced in Bangkok in 2014 

Thai Driving Regulations.pdf