Advise For Tourist Visa To Australia For My Wife

Hi,

I have been married to my Thai wife for nearly 4 years,but she has only been to Australia christmas 2005 for 3 months.I have lived in Thailand with her all the other time.We have a 18 month old boy who I have just got Australian citizenship by decent and now waiting to recieve his Aussie passport.I have just moved back to Australia for good.And wanted the opinion on applying for a 12 month visa for my wife what chances ther will be of it being approved.I have walked into a good job and will have a house etc by the time they arrive.The only thing is that I don't have a big bank balance at the moment and neather does she.I was hoping for the 12 month visa 1st then applying for a spouse visa.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Your situation sounds similar to mine when I had to move back to Oz. I didnt have a large bank account but had a good secure job. I had my personel dept at work write a letter confirming my position and salary range. I would be aiming at the spouse visa as like I said your situation sounds very similar to mine.

Good luck

Usually a straight 12 month visa is rarely issued, however that shouldnt stop you from applying. You may find that they issue a 12 month multi entry which is 3 monthly visits over a 12 month period.

You may be better off just going for the spouse visa straight off.

Get in touch with the Embassy and see what info you can get from them.

In preparation for submitting my wifes visa application I rang the embassy from Oz and asked heaps of questions. The case officers were very helpful and eased my mind on many queries that I had.

In preparation for submitting my wifes visa application I rang the embassy from Oz and asked heaps of questions. The case officers were very helpful and eased my mind on many queries that I had.

Hi Carpy

Unless you have some special reason to be going for a tourist visa, or maybe someone gave you this idea, you should surely be going for a spouse Visa???

You would have soooo many things going for you re proof of relationship already etc etc etc.

You said the office was very helpful, but was this towards her spouse visa?

Your wife may be the only one they want to interview, so you may not need to go back to Bkk and save the fares?

Sounds promising to me.

Cheers and good luck from Oz

Spouse visa is the way to go - a lot of paper work etc but in the end well worth the effort and after 2 years of temp. spouse visa your wife will qualify for permanet residency with all the benefits that go with it.

i have just arrived back in Aus with my Thai wife on a 3 month tourist visa as i was told in Bangkok that she would need a chest x-ray for a 6 month visa and a twelve month visa was out of the question. I was told it would take 3-4 months for a spouse visa.

so we decided to go and apply for a spouse visa in Aus. Bad decision as we are now waiting for DIAC to waiver condition 8503 "no further stay" after 3 months before we even attempt the myriad of paperwork for a spouse visa. I wish we had applied for the spouse visa in Bangkok.

I hope this info helps anyone who is contemplating the same idea. My wife just wants to go home to Ubon where it is a lot less complicated for me to stay because I am married to a Thai whereas in Aus now means nothing.

Don't start me on how many illegals in this country now!!!!!!!!

i have just arrived back in Aus with my Thai wife on a 3 month tourist visa as i was told in Bangkok that she would need a chest x-ray for a 6 month visa and a twelve month visa was out of the question. I was told it would take 3-4 months for a spouse visa.

so we decided to go and apply for a spouse visa in Aus. Bad decision as we are now waiting for DIAC to waiver condition 8503 "no further stay" after 3 months before we even attempt the myriad of paperwork for a spouse visa. I wish we had applied for the spouse visa in Bangkok.

I hope this info helps anyone who is contemplating the same idea. My wife just wants to go home to Ubon where it is a lot less complicated for me to stay because I am married to a Thai whereas in Aus now means nothing.

Don't start me on how many illegals in this country now!!!!!!!!

Bad decision indeed.....

She still has to have a chest x ray here plus blood tests etc.....she still needs a Thai police check done (usually needs to be done in person).....The waiver of the 8503 is for exceptional circumstances (applying for a spouse visa is usually not exceptional).....She has to be in the country of lodgement for the grant...this means if the waiver is not granted then she has to go back and return for the grant...and to top it off...everything to do with the spouse visa in Oz is more expensive and the killer is, if the application is rejected then she still has to go back which would be heart wrenching.

If you are not too far along with the application....it may pay you to let her go back and apply from there.

Thanks for all your opinions guys.The main reason for the 12 month visa is to make sure she will be happy here.We have an 18 month old boy and he is waiting for his Aussie passport.And the wife puts her visa application in shortly.I have used the embassy in Lao's not bangkok this time and have found them to be great.They e-mail me to ask how things are and I could not be happier with the service.I understand about the chest x-ray which she has got already.I hope to get the 12 month, I have heard from others it should be no problem.I will also be happy with a 6 month.Just means we put our spouse visa in earlier.Anyway I will keep you posted with the results.Any of you guy's live in Townsville ? I have just moved here from Thailand and looking for some mates and if they have Thai wives or girlfreinds would be a plus.Anyway thanks again.