American Expats Rally For Presidential Election 2008

JBinChiangMai

Bunta and others have said as much as (and more than) I know to say about McCain, but I can't summon up enthusiasm for Obama - and I just have to wonder at the notion that "For the first time in a very long time, it feels like we will have the opportunity to vote for the BEST of two very strong candidates".

IMO, a columnist in the New York Times summed up Obama very well a while back when he said that people were deluding themselves with Obama - thinking that what he was putting out was only the overture - just wait for the symphony to come - when what we're getting is the symphony........ there isn't any more - that's all, folks. OK, symphonies don't have overtures - operas do.......... but you can get his point. I ain't but a Brit (and half-German at that) and I have no say in this pageant, but I have been following the campaign closely. White hair vet = "wise head with character" versus supremely well-packaged (and financed) Slick Willy - Hobson's choice IMO.

For those who don't already know it, give yourself a smile by checking out the "Time for Some Campaignin' " video here:

Pretty much sums up the situation for me........... still, it's only every four years.

I'll be glued to that Biden/Paulin debate - live at 8.00am our time Friday morning. Heck, if the Saturday Night Live show's writers don't need to even re-jig Paulin's interview to make her funny, that's going to be 90 minutes of 24-carat gold.............. :o

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to be a wet blanket....and I do enjoy the discourse. The American election is an important topic that has captured the interest of people worldwide.

However a discussion of McCain vs. Obama is not only not Chiang Mai specific, it is also not really Thailand specific (except in a macro geopolitical sense).

These type of discussions can be better pursued on other (political) sub-forums.

To all Americans- please do vote, whoever your candidate of choice may be. May the best man win.

Closed.