Thai Rail Reservations

RogerL

In 2006 I made e-mail reservations with Thai Rail for sleeper compartment for run from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. We will be returning to Thailand this November for retirement in Chiang Mai. I have sent e-mail (2) off to Thai Rail inquiring about reservations but have not received any response back. Does anyone know if they are still doing reservations by e-mail? I see there are several travel companies that advertise doing this for a fee but prefer to do it myself. Will have layover time in Bangkok so could go to train station when I first get in and get tickets but prefer to have one less thing to worry about if could do in advance. Thanks all in advance for you response.

Sorry but when I tried to book going south on the sleeper, I had problems and ended up going myself. I don't have a reliable contact to give you.

However, one suggestion, if you are staying in a good hotel with concierge, they may be prepared to arrange for the tickets to be purchased in advance if they have your credit card and if you are happy to pay for some service fee. Specifically I have had the JW Marriott in Bangkok undertake errands for me on the understanding that I will repay in cash plus an agreed fee or they will charge my credit card. I doubt an hotel where you are not known will do this but ..... ???

Whilst in Australia, I tried to book an overnight sleeper from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I phoned the main Bangkok railway office. I was informed that any bookings that are made over the phone need to be paid for the following day at the latest, and tickets picked up at the same time.

Getting seats (bunks) on the overnight sleeper is often very difficult due to the limited number available. The day that I wanted to travel was the Queens Birthday weekend. All seats were sold days in advance. You therefore need to check that your planned day of travel is not such an occasion.

Torrenova's suggestion is quite good.

I was able to contact a LOS travel agent who was prepared to book the seats, pick up the tickets and be paid by way of immediate money transfer into his bank account. He then held the tickets until I arrived in LOS and could collect them. He charged a very modest booking fee on top of the ticket price.

I'm sure if you start emailing a few travel agents you'll find one who will offer you the same type service.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

I tried 3 years ago to book online, no luck, now I do as below.

If you have plenty of time use the Airport Express to the main railway station, Hua Lamphong, and book your seats.

If going overnite, book lower berths, top berth is not so good, claustrophobic, reason for being cheaper, suits my partner and I.

Mind you, that is for 2nd class sleeper, good enough I reckon, quite comfortable, no complaints, but your choice.

Once booked, easy to go places from station, MRT, taxis..... walk to Chinatown, woteva.

Love trains..........LOL

AE4 Suvarnabhumi-Hua Lamphong (by expressway).... 150 Baht

Pick up area at the Arrivals level - 2nd floor (inner curb).

Good luck.

Edit 4 spelling

Edited by Zpete

I just went through this today. Called the Bangkok number and they couldn't take credit card bookings over the phone, but said I could do so at the Pattaya station. I went to two agencies just near my place, one charged 800b booking fee, the other one 500b. So we went over to the dark side to the station only to be told "eftpos mot"... I was hoping to be able to pay by credit card, to avoid the cash advance fee.

Try these people they are located next to Soi Cowboy and actually sell the rail ticket upstairs whilst the travel agency is downstairs. Also very convenient if you want buy a rail ticket whilst in Bangkok down the Sukhumvit area.

For reference - across the road from Asok BTS away from town on the left hand side. Very near to the corner of Asok and Sukhumvit.

THAI OVERLANDER TRAVEL & TOUR CO., LTD.

407, Sukhumvit Road (between Sukhumvit Soi 21 And 23 ), Klong Toey Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, THAILAND

022584778 022596558

http://www.yellow.co.th/Thailand/YellowPag...agencies.4.html - gives and email address they also have a website but I can't find it at the moment.

Happy trails

I just arrived in CM this morning, on the overnight train from BKK. It was an ok trip, the staff were quite friendly and the bed was ok.

Even though it was an "express" train, it seemed to stop quite a lot - at least half a dozen times before we even got out of BKK. Then, at around 6 this morning the train stopped for about half an hour in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason. We ended up getting into CM 2 hours 15 minutes late.

But still, all in all, it's a nice trip and you can't argue with the value.

I read a pamphlet for the Orient Express with your own "stateroom", no idea what that costs - might be interesting for next time. . .

Thanks to all for their feedback and suggestions. I gave it another try by e-mail to Thai Rail and asked why have an e-mail address if you can not or will not reply to e-mails. You guessed it - no response to this either.

So, in setting up room reservations with Majestic Suites (where we have stayed before) in Bangkok saw on their website they have MS Travel Agency in their building. For a nominal fee have got us two sleeper berth reservations to ChiangMai on date we planned for. Now let's hope there is no rail strike.

RogerL

Love the train and love it in Thailand, always seems a hassle to book ahead outside the country so I tend to go to the station a day or so before and sort the tickets out, minor inconvenience. I am traveling with someone i prefer booking an upper and lower so basically together the whole time, don't mind the top bunk myself but lots more space below, maybe even for two *nudge nudge* :o

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. RogerL here ----

Today Roger got a reply to his 29Sept email from [email protected] informing him that they'd made the reservation he requested. We have to show up at the rail station something like 3 - 4 hours before departure and pay for the reserved tickets, or else they release the reservation. This procedure is identical to our 2006 trip, although they responded to the initial inquiry within 3 days vs. 3 weeks.

As mentioned above, when we weren't getting a response from Thai Rail, we emailed the travel agency at the Majestic Suites (our BKK hotel) and they purchased rail tickets for us for small fee of 100 baht per ticket. They seem to have the actual tickets in their possession since they emailed us a PDF. Now we don't have to show up at the rail station 3 - 4 hrs before the trip, although it's a good place to eat, enjoy beer and watch the people.

It's really surprising that it took 3 weeks for them to respond.