Want To Buy Gold/silver

Never said you would be buying and selling in Thailand ! yet again people jumping to conclusions. Could you quote me where I did ? ...thought so !

there was no reference to you and no jumping to conclusions (except for the fact you jumped and concluded :o ). i addressed Zorro. however, i expected that you jump in and admit that you you don't buy these rare metals physically but bought and own some paper which says "good for x-amount of y-rare metal". that paper is only as good as the institution which issued it and if covered by an existing quantity of rare metal as underlying. the institution might (and there is a high probability) not have a physical hold on the underlying but owns it like you by a promissory note, i.e. you are depending on the institution's financial health and that is something which has become risky in these days.

derivatives for each and every commodity have been issued for multiple quantities which do NOT exist. derivatives have caused the present global problem and (as of now) trillions of losses. do i need to say more?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to think you are the only one who knows anything in the whole of Thailand, why would I even know about the hike in price of some of these metals in the last 8 years and not know how and where they are bought and sold ????????

I guess I will just keep on listening to my GS broker and just keep on making money ...sigh such a hard life !

As you said it may be risky because there is never an official price on these things because they are not actually traded officially on any exchange but hey who said making money was easy and without risk :o

I was merely opening Zorro1 eyes to other possibilites.

You seem to think you are the only one who knows anything in the whole of Thailand, why would I even know about the hike in price of some of these metals in the last 8 years and not know how and where they are bought and sold ????????

I guess I will just keep on listening to my GS broker and just keep on making money ...sigh such a hard life !

As you said it may be risky because there is never an official price on these things because they are not actually traded officially on any exchange but hey who said making money was easy and without risk :o

funny thing in this forum is one raises valid facts, they are not addressed. instead irrelevant, useless and even stupid personal attacks are used to divert from facts.

go ahead and trust your Goldman Sucks broker, you have my blessing. but don't forget to pray for the survival of GS which issued your derivatives. :D

"useless and even stupid personal attacks are used to divert from facts. " Where have I attacked you ? Please quote me on that one. :o

quote: "You seem to think you are the only one who knows anything in the whole of Thailand"

= a stupid and irrelevant remark.

"useless and even stupid personal attacks are used to divert from facts. " Where have I attacked you ? Please quote me on that one. :o

quote: "You seem to think you are the only one who knows anything in the whole of Thailand"

= a stupid and irrelevant remark.

lol whatever you think lol

Naam can speak for himself, but the point to buy physical gold not paper note is a very good one and I speak from personal experience.

Point 2 - don't lump together "precious metals" - they have very little in common.

Naam can speak for himself, but the point to buy physical gold not paper note is a very good one and I speak from personal experience.

Point 2 - don't lump together "precious metals" - they have very little in common.

Never said it wasnt, I just do not like it when people on here misquote you and try to belittle you. Annoys me as it should annoy anyone !

GS broker - are you for real :D

why not - Henry Paulson was the head of the investment department of GS in 1999 and now he even saves the global financial system from the total collapse, can't you feel it ...

In times of uncertainty people like to invest in gold, it's tangible.

Swiss francs might be worth considering.

Swiss Francs would be your best option at this point. You could take a small position in gold (10%), but the markets are volatile right now and unless you have a strong stomach and can handle the ups and downs, cash is king. Gold has taken quite a run up in the last few years. Will it continue to rise? No one knows for sure.

Swiss Francs would be your best option at this point. You could take a small position in gold (10%), but the markets are volatile right now and unless you have a strong stomach and can handle the ups and downs, cash is king. Gold has taken quite a run up in the last few years. Will it continue to rise? No one knows for sure.

Also there seems to be a real shortage of 1 oz. coins

I guess they are being bought up at any price??

Also there seems to be a real shortage of 1 oz. coins

I guess they are being bought up at any price??

My dealer is OUT of 1oz silver, palladium AND platinum coins. Have been out of silver for a while now. Said will NOT be able to get any more palladium, and maybe will be able to get some platinum in the future, but most likely it will be bars. Very odd. Many many dealers have been out of silver and palladium for a while now. What does this surge in demand mean? Not sure, but wish I had more of a position in the physical metals.

a lot of private investors want to own (like you) some precious metals physically. gold, silver and platinum bars in bigger weights are still easily available albeit not in Thailand (i was told). if you go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi you need a freighter and of course the necessary pocket money if you want to buy and haul off what is available. not sure about platinum and palladium though as Arabs believe in gold.

why not - Henry Paulson was the head of the investment department of GS in 1999 and now he even saves the global financial system from the total collapse, can't you feel it ...

I have been feeling it for quite a while :D

Any thoughts on rhodium? I see it is trending downwards. Was the high caused by true supply and demand or was the supply artificially kept low? There was at least one company here in the US that sold rhodium bullion. I'm not sure if they still do.

Any thoughts on rhodium? I see it is trending downwards. Was the high caused by true supply and demand or was the supply artificially kept low? There was at least one company here in the US that sold rhodium bullion. I'm not sure if they still do.

another commodity speculators are playing hardball with. going in 4 years from ~450 to >9,000 and falling this year within 7 months to 3,700 :o

I have never invested in anything but property and so far so good however I would like to diversify a bit and put some cash into the above. I need some advice and basically need to be walked through the whole process. Where to buy, how to buy and sell, how to store and what to look out for.

I buy my gold in China town as they seem to hike things up a bit in MBK and other tourist areas, there is a lot of competition so some dealers offer lower prices than the standard market rate. You can either buy jewlery or gold bars.

When you buy gold jewelry they will charge you 300-600 baht per 1 baht of gold you buy. This is to do with the cost of making the necklace etc etc, You of course do not get this back when you sell the gold back to the shop and you get a lower rate when you sell it back to what people will be buying it from the shop for. So lets say when you go to the shop there should be two prices in white outside on the window, one for selling and one for buying per baht. The one which is higher is the price they are selling to you for and the other the one they will buy the gold from you for.

When you buy a gold bar you will be only charged 100/200 baht for the making fees but this can change etc etc but is deffo cheaper than buying jewelry. Also make sure to sell the gold back when you want to to the shop you bought it from, every goldsmith will have there badge printed on the bit that holds the necklace together, I am not so sure about this but I think if you sell it to different shop you bought it from you will get less for your money...don't ask me why.

Very good advice. If you're buying for Thailand you should buy Thai gold; bars would be the best. I think they each put their own ID on the bar which is why you want to sell it back to the same shop. If you don't own gold then there is no better time to buy than now. You can buy some every week if you're afraid it will go down. Don't buy paper gold only physical. The premium on physical gold is going up relative to the gold price. Nothing is safer than gold right now and the long term price is up, way up. Silver and Platinum are good to buy now but probably not very liquid in Thailand, and certainly not as safe as gold. Gold is money especially in Asia. Buy some gold and then some more gold then you can buy other precious metals. Good luck we all may need it the way the world financial situation is going.

The average "joe" investor will not go for large 100oz or 1000oz bars. The average investor is able to aquire smaller amounts, and the fact that these smaller amounts are not available, tells me that more and more middle class investors are getting a position in the metals market, so much so that there is no more supply of the 1oz coins......... in silver, palladium and platinum.

Agreed....

You know the ultimate use of Gold would be in a total collapse. Im sure many have thought that way while investing in physical gold. In which case it would be nice if someone decided to mint even smaller weights :o The size that could be used as currency, Might be a nice way for the world to slowly slip away from the useless currencies floating about collapse or not :D:D:D:D

Edited by flying

I would add that If you are buying for investment I think you would be better to buy other precious metals. However you have maybe missed the boat on those too :D Gold will stay strong for a good few years but will not rise much from its current rate.

Gold is trading within a range now with an downside bias. Definitely it will not maintain current price levels. If we fall below 835 we might see 650 pretty fast and for those who want to buy in they should wait until it breaks to new highs. If anything with gold now then sell what you have considering a buyback later or short it.

hmmmmmmmmmm Gold just hit 920 :o

I would add that If you are buying for investment I think you would be better to buy other precious metals. However you have maybe missed the boat on those too :D Gold will stay strong for a good few years but will not rise much from its current rate.

Gold is trading within a range now with an downside bias. Definitely it will not maintain current price levels. If we fall below 835 we might see 650 pretty fast and for those who want to buy in they should wait until it breaks to new highs. If anything with gold now then sell what you have considering a buyback later or short it.

hmmmmmmmmmm Gold just hit 920 :o

still a range play until new highs. Prices holding above 900 indicate a test of those highs. Regardless my short trade would have been stopped with a loss of course.

Gold is going to stay strong for at least 3months, I very much doubt it will dip to the lows you suggested. However I am sure we will see a huge dip once the banks have sorted themselves out, lending starts up again and there is more confidense in consumer spending. No amount of money throw at this problem is going to sort it out straight away, it will take a good few months. When will this be ? How long is a piece of string :o:D:D

What do you think ?

Gold is going to stay strong for at least 3months, I very much doubt it will dip to the lows you suggested. However I am sure we will see a huge dip once the banks have sorted themselves out, lending starts up again and there is more confidense in consumer spending. No amount of money throw at this problem is going to sort it out straight away, it will take a good few months. When will this be ? How long is a piece of string :o:D:D

What do you think ?

yes i do!

What do you think ?

yes i do!

Yes you do what ????

What do you think ?

yes i do!

Yes you do what ????

i think. not always. but quite often.