University In Bangkok

TheChef

Dear Everyone whom may read this ( and thank you already or reading it :o)

I am a young guy, 25 for that matter, come from Denmark, and am sick and tired of my home country. It is boring, cold, annoying, name it. So I have now done the absurd thing of applying for a University down in Thailand. I have only been to Thailand once in my life, approxiametly 1½ years ago and loved it, but because of girlfriends, and personal matters have never been back since.

I applied to a University called Silpakorn University International College, and was wondering a bit about it. I have spoken with a couple of friends who have been out to Bangkok a couple of times and they dont really have much to say about it. So this is where I have come to!

The University says it is in Taling Chan, how far out from Bangkok city center is that? I basically only remember the MBK center, and thats that but is it far from that?

Does anyone know anything about the University? I know it has the Vatel course, which i know is very well renowned! But what about the school itself?

If i were to be accepted as a student at the school, would i be seen as a bad person? seeing as I am European, or would they be very welcoming?

Thank you for reading and eventually replying!

TheChef

There are many universities here as you probably already know.

For Tailing Chan, travelling there is very interesting, if you go to

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...33-42b57b098657

you will find some interesting info on the journey. There are many buses from Victory Monument on that route, apart from horrendous

traffic, there are other hazards mentioned in the link. You could of course live near the Uni..25 year old Dane wow ! the girls will put

you up for free. Great contrast to the besotted wretches they might normally encounter.

However, while the mode of study may be given as English, it probably is not, except where lecturers are farangs.

I expect the content of the courses is demanding, but because of the "no-one fails" system which I'm advised operates at all

education levels, your degree won't get much if any recognition I think.

Looking at the ads as I travel along there, there is some strong IT stuff taught.

My advice without knowing you is go for it, but check carefully about costs and student visas.....this is THE SITE for reliable info on visas.

Good Luck to You

Studied a master degree for 6 months in Ramkhamhaeng International Institute now, and I can say that its very good. The courses are (for the most part) challenging and engaging and the quality of teachers are good. Since I am a foreign student in a newly established master study, I am very well taken care of, as they hope I will be doing what I am doing right now and telling people about my good experience :-)

Just ask if you want to know more specifics.

Dear Everyone whom may read this ( and thank you already or reading it :o )

I am a young guy, 25 for that matter, come from Denmark, and am sick and tired of my home country. It is boring, cold, annoying, name it. So I have now done the absurd thing of applying for a University down in Thailand. I have only been to Thailand once in my life, approxiametly 1½ years ago and loved it, but because of girlfriends, and personal matters have never been back since.

I applied to a University called Silpakorn University International College, and was wondering a bit about it. I have spoken with a couple of friends who have been out to Bangkok a couple of times and they dont really have much to say about it. So this is where I have come to!

The University says it is in Taling Chan, how far out from Bangkok city center is that? I basically only remember the MBK center, and thats that but is it far from that?

Does anyone know anything about the University? I know it has the Vatel course, which i know is very well renowned! But what about the school itself?

If i were to be accepted as a student at the school, would i be seen as a bad person? seeing as I am European, or would they be very welcoming?

Thank you for reading and eventually replying!

TheChef

Thats awesome! Your going to have a great time! I studied in a thai university and everybody was very welcoming.

I only know of Silpakorn Liberal Arts which I think is close to the river and Thammasat Uni.

BUT

Youre still going to have a great time!

AND

You will discover why school uniforms rock! :D

Studied a master degree for 6 months in Ramkhamhaeng International Institute now, and I can say that its very good. The courses are (for the most part) challenging and engaging and the quality of teachers are good. Since I am a foreign student in a newly established master study, I am very well taken care of, as they hope I will be doing what I am doing right now and telling people about my good experience :-)

Just ask if you want to know more specifics.

I'll ask in public so others who are interested can follow:

Is Ramkamhaeng classes at day or evening and how many days a week? I heard someone say only 3 days a week.

What courses is available in english?

What is the cost for a semester / year ?

However, while the mode of study may be given as English, it probably is not, except where lecturers are farangs.

Sorry but that is not the case at the good international programs, Silapakorn is well respected and I assume will be the same.

but because of the "no-one fails" system which I'm advised operates at all

education levels,

Bad advice, absolutely not true at any of the respected universities. You normally hear this kind of rubbish from TEFL guys who generally only can get jobs at very low end unis.

My advice without knowing you is go for it

You are right there

I went to Mahidol University International College, I though the program was very good. Its a bit outside the city, but not that far (about 30 min bus ride from victory monument). They also accept transfer credit, I was told by both Chulalongkorn and Thammasat that they wouldn't accept any transfer credits.

www.muic.mahidol.ac.th

Everyone was very nice; they have a fairly large number of foreign students and everyone was extremely welcoming. Let me know if you have any questions about this university.

Much depends on what course you want to do, and some of the smaller universities have their merits. At the same time you may want to think about what your qualification will be worth in the West and the international ranking of the institution that you choose. In this regard Chulalongkorn, Kasetsart, Mahidol, AIT and Thammasat are the best in Bangkok and the immediate vicinity.

Hey! thanks everyone for your quick replies! Yeah I am going to do! I have been at work all day today just thinking of the prospects of studying somewhere abroad, and on top of that somewhere in Asia. As this whole crisis' in the West is heading towards armaggedon, its only right in my eyes to move towards the next big thing!

To answer some of your replies and ask some more questions here goes.

Yes i am planning on going into the Hospitality management course (Vatel), I am an educated chef already, but can see myself dieing from that within the next 10 years! (hours, alcohol, no time off, no life).

However I have searched a bit on the internet, and cannot really find any other school which offers a degree in Hospitality management like Silpakorn. So i think i might just stick to my main plan.

9 Kms sounds quite drastic from MBK. Is there any Skytrain, or Metro which goes out to Taling Chan? or would a smart idea be getting a motorbike or car (i have a license to both). I am not the real bus man as you could call it!

Last question is, does anyone know any webpages where i could find rental apartments. A place which is good and reliable?

There are plans for a Taling Chan Sky Train extension, the 7-11's have already upsized and relocated to reflect where the new stops will be. This will not happen fast enough though.

I am familar with Vatel I find it respectable, it is hands on in the field, however the course work is- essentially everyone is given things like extra chances to make sure they pass.

Hey! thanks everyone for your quick replies! Yeah I am going to do! I have been at work all day today just thinking of the prospects of studying somewhere abroad, and on top of that somewhere in Asia. As this whole crisis' in the West is heading towards armaggedon, its only right in my eyes to move towards the next big thing!

To answer some of your replies and ask some more questions here goes.

Yes i am planning on going into the Hospitality management course (Vatel), I am an educated chef already, but can see myself dieing from that within the next 10 years! (hours, alcohol, no time off, no life).

However I have searched a bit on the internet, and cannot really find any other school which offers a degree in Hospitality management like Silpakorn. So i think i might just stick to my main plan.

9 Kms sounds quite drastic from MBK. Is there any Skytrain, or Metro which goes out to Taling Chan? or would a smart idea be getting a motorbike or car (i have a license to both). I am not the real bus man as you could call it!

Last question is, does anyone know any webpages where i could find rental apartments. A place which is good and reliable?

I am a young guy, 25 for that matter, come from Denmark, and am sick and tired of my home country. It is boring, cold, annoying, name it. S

What's wrong with you? In world happiness studies Danes always come out number one. Most of your countrymen love your country as they are the happiest people in the world.

:o

Just having a laugh as nobody is a statistic, but it's true you're a-typical in your country.

Oh, there are other schools like Siam University and Assumption University that I think offer your course, but I think you've got a good school already. Stick with that.

Edit: For apartments, try mrroomfinder.com.

Edited by Jimjim

I expect the content of the courses is demanding, but because of the "no-one fails" system which I'm advised operates at all

education levels, your degree won't get much if any recognition I think.

Not true - I did the Graduate Diploma in Education at Assumption University, and quite a number of people on the course failed . . . . .

G

However I have searched a bit on the internet, and cannot really find any other school which offers a degree in Hospitality management like Silpakorn.

Mahidol University International College offers degree in Travel Industry Management (TIM). The college maintains a fully functional 4-star hotel for the Hospitality Management Program on Campus.

http://salayapavilion.com/

They also have an external internship program and partner with many international hotel chains.

I study at the international Ramkamhaeng program, called IIS. www.iis.ru.ac.th I'll start my 4th semester soon and i'm pretty satisfied with the program. Surely, it's probably not as challenging as a western university, but we have nearly only farang teachers and they say, they teach exactly the same like at their home universities.. So, i can't compare it because i never went to university back home in germany but i can say, that with a little effort you'll earn good grades and learn alot (latter depends mostly on you) :o

it doesnt really matter how much you learn at thai uni, if the rest of the world doesnt recognize it.

That was one thing i also thought about. The world recognizing the university. At SUIC, they have a double degree, one from the University and one from Vatel. Silpakorn University might not be recognized around the world, but I can assure you from what I have heard from various hotel managers I have spoken with that the Vatel course is well regarded. After hearing that today, I finally sent all the papers! :o look forward to a reply soon, im waiting IMPATIENTLY, but I think there has to go 4-6 weeks until I heear anything from them!

:D:D:D:D:D

For PR and Advertising it probably does not matter which uni u go to.

The usual criteria for recognition..has anyone heard of it ? Do you have to explain/defend your degree

Yale, Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, MIT, Imperial..but even from these places people can get sniffy regarding "who was your prof. ?"....Nobel Laureates et al.

My Ph.D was "The Effect on the Common Cabbage (Cussonia Spicata), after Irrigation with Holy Water"

My Prof was Dr. Hassan Bin Sobah..my University was "Oral Roberts".

However I have no problem getting work as a TEFL

Maybe you're right with the assumption that people from western countries may look to a bacherlor degree from thailand a bit "different" but isn't also the life experience counting? I mean, alot of people i know are studying in germany, living with their parents and so on.. Being away for 3-4 years for study, in a totally different culture is probably also not a bad thing. The bachelor degree is internationally recognized and credits are transferable to any other university.

I have often been a referee for people with Asian qualifications applying to other countries.

I have had replies querying their grades in the non numerate subjects.

I had to write back and say "HE/SHE did it in a foreign language.!

There are many good people but it's the perception abroad.

It's the History grads who have never heard of WWII and Electical grads who can't recognise a multimeter

that makes one suspicious.

In 15 years I've had about 300 engineers and technicians "pass thro my factory"

Only ONE ever asked WHY ? HOW?

I just dont get it...how and why do people feel the need to make totally irrelevant and rude remarks on a topic as innocent as education and advice about where to study?

Ive deleted a few offensive posts, and going to ask everyone to observe forum rules. Im not going to close this thread, cos the thread is a valid topic, so anyone who tries to disrupt this discussion again will be given posting suspension.

seriously - you do realise you are not required to give your opinion on everything and every topic that exist on thaivisa dont you? to those that may have overlooked this, I will gladly oblige by giving you time off from your posting load.

I am a young guy, 25 for that matter, come from Denmark, and am sick and tired of my home country. It is boring, cold, annoying, name it. S

What's wrong with you? In world happiness studies Danes always come out number one. Most of your countrymen love your country as they are the happiest people in the world.

:o

hey i saw that on 60 minutes and it turned out most 'happy' should have been substituted with most 'content'.

actually i guess it has more to do with having low expectations so you dont have to face the feeling of failure if you crash and burn!

ignorance is bliss, better safe than sorry etc.

everyone thinks their little piece of the world is the best until theyve been elsewhere.

and the weather does really suck in denmark (and most other north euro countires)!