Breaking News - Flight To Bkk From Hong Kong Hits Turbulance

phibunmike

Not many details yet, but a relative just landed at Suvarnabhumi from Hong Kong. The flight hit unexpected turbulence and several people were injured, including hostess(es). One unfortunate lady broke her teeth. Hostesses hit the ceiling.

I think it was Cathay, but that is conjecture.

I could probably be because of that big weather disturbance between here and there. The pilots have a radio, and thus should have been aware of the weather ahead. They should have communicated the fowl weather (turbulence) warning to the passengers and flight crew. Apparently the crew were not aware of the severity of the turbulence and/or disregarded the pilot's warning (if any).

As a passenger, unless you are full of confidence, you should always strap on your safety belt. It does not have to be tight... loose is fine. Without it, your head (and in the case of one passengers, their teeth) are fair game to the overhead compartments.

If you want an education into the effect of turbulence, watch a video of those airplanes that plow through a hurricane (typhoon).

Edited by Gumballl

It is also possible to hit turbulence totally unexpectedly, I was on a Hong Kong to Bangkok a few years ago on Thai and the meal trolley was doing its rounds, suddenly the seatbelt signs flashed on, but in a fraction of a second the plane dropped like a stone.

The meal trolley was almost level with me when this happened and jumped about 4 feet off the floor!

Luckily, I had my belt on at the time, and me the guy in the aisle seat next to me managed to grab it and hold onto, they are damned heavy, and if that thing started flying around, it's going to hurt someone. We held on for about 10 minutes until it settled down.

Do you know what the stewardess did when the trolley broke free? She ran away and strapped herself into the flight seats, leaving the two of us trying to hold the dam_n thing down!

I could probably be because of that big weather disturbance between here and there. The pilots have a radio, and thus should have been aware of the weather ahead. They should have communicated the fowl weather (turbulence) warning to the passengers and flight crew. Apparently the crew were not aware of the severity of the turbulence and/or disregarded the pilot's warning (if any).

Those pesky birds....they really screw up your engines...

Not many details yet, but a relative just landed at Suvarnabhumi from Hong Kong. The flight hit unexpected turbulence and several people were injured, including hostess(es). One unfortunate lady broke her teeth. Hostesses hit the ceiling.

I think it was Cathay, but that is conjecture.

Any more news on this, which airline, perhaps a link to where you saw this, thanks.

Not necessarily,

If the Turbulence is of the Clear air variety (CAT) it will not show on the weather radar which works on water droplet returns. (Ie clouds, rain hail, snow, water droplets).

The only saving grace u have against that is previous aircraft reports - if any or high level enroute wx charts.

Could also be wake turbulence from preeceding traffic or crossing traffic...again difficult to detect prior to entry unless visual with traffic, contrails, Transponder contact of the aircraft on instrument or ATC warning.

Or of course it could just be incompetence of the flightdeck crew...... .. ....

Edited by dekka007

Must admit strong turbulence does give me the willies. This stewardess would have completely freaked me out.

Screaming stewardess sparks panic

From correspondents in London

February 28, 2006

VIRGIN Atlantic is investigating claims a stewardess alarmed passengers by screaming that a turbulence-hit jumbo jet was going to crash.

According to passengers, there was panic when the cabin crew member apparently lost control as the London to Las Vegas Boeing 747, with 451 passengers on board, ran into turbulence over Greenland.

"She (the stewardess) screamed every time we dropped and one point chanted three times 'We're going to crash'," one passenger said.

"This hysterical stewardess was telling everyone we were going to die," another passenger said

The incident took place last Friday.

A Virgin spokeswoman today said the airline was waiting for the crew of the flight, VS43, to return to the UK before starting an investigation.

Advertisement:

"We can confirm that flight VS43 from London Gatwick to Las Vegas, which departed at 10.51am on February 24, experienced unexpected turbulence approximately three hours into the flight," she said.

"The safety and security of passengers and crew is Virgin Atlantic's top priority.

"The flight deck will always keep passengers informed of expected flying conditions and where possible will try to avoid areas of expected turbulence.

"Incidents of unexpected turbulence are relatively rare but as a precaution, passengers are always advised to wear seatbelts at all times during the flight."

China Airlines hit by turbulence, 21 injured

Taipei (dpa) - A Boeing 747-400 jetliner of Taiwan's major carrier China Airlines was hit by severe air turbulence in Thai airspace as it approached Bangkok from Hong Kong Thursday, resulting in the injury of 21 people, the airlines said.

"Flight CI 641 arrived in Bangkok safely, and the injured, including, five crew members and 16 passengers, received hospital treatment," the airline said in a news statement.

In all, 147 passengers and 18 crew members were on board the plane when the turbulence occurred without warning in Thai airspace, the airline said.

The airline did not describe the conditions of the injured, but state media Central News Agency said two of the 21 injured were bleeding from head wounds.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131068

China Airlines is among the world's most dangerous. I used to fly with them but had to stop after so many of my flights were marked with near constant turbulence. My last flight with China Air was a roundtrip from Bangkok to LA, with pretty strong turbulence experienced for a good 6 hours out of the 12 hour flight from Taipei to LA.

Their pilots seem to be poorly trained and lack the knowledge to A)properly read weather reports and B)find a way out of turbulence once it hits.

As one with 28 plus years of flying duty(Flt engineer) I can tell you flying can be hours on hours of bordem with 30 seconds of pure TERROR!(Bad Turbulance) how some of the new model Aircrafts are equip to detect turblance. The good News I hear all were safe with a few injures.

I'm sure I heard a few years ago of a flight over the Alps which lost altitude very suddenly and without warning due to a huge avalanche below effectively pulling the air out from under it. Can't find any trace of the story now - urban (Alpine) myth..?