21 Day Rule?

I am American and in Thailand on a 30 day entry stamp, I have taken an extended leave from my job and wanted to apply for a thai visa.

My current stamp expires on 6 OCT...upon talking to Immigration in Bangkok they say that I can not apply for another non-immigrant "O" visa (I had one last year but let it lapse when I returned to work) because I only have a few days left on my current entry stamp, and that I need to have 21 days left on any kind of visa or entry stamp in order to apply for a new non-imm "o".

Has any one else heard of this?

Last year when I got my non-imm O visa, I waited until the last few days of my 30 day entry stamp, went to the Immigration office on Suan Phlu and applied for a non-imm O visa to support my wife and a few days later I got a 90-day visa.

I am American and in Thailand on a 30 day entry stamp, I have taken an extended leave from my job and wanted to apply for a thai visa.

My current stamp expires on 6 OCT...upon talking to Immigration in Bangkok they say that I can not apply for another non-immigrant "O" visa (I had one last year but let it lapse when I returned to work) because I only have a few days left on my current entry stamp, and that I need to have 21 days left on any kind of visa or entry stamp in order to apply for a new non-imm "o".

Has any one else heard of this?

Last year when I got my non-imm O visa, I waited until the last few days of my 30 day entry stamp, went to the Immigration office on Suan Phlu and applied for a non-imm O visa to support my wife and a few days later I got a 90-day visa.

You need to have at least 21 days left on your stay to convert to a Non O Visa at Immigration.

They did not do this when the option first came out last year as it was new.

They do now.

You might try another immigration office.

The rule they are hitting you is for a change of visa status. If you had a non-o already it wouldn't be a problem.

You are getting the non-o for marriage and no kids. If you have kids it does not apply.

All other o's don't have this rule.

Edited by ubonjoe

His post is more than slightly misleading.

I am American and in Thailand on a 30 day entry stamp
From this you can see he is NOT on any visa, but entered "visa exempt" or "30-day-free-2-stay" stamp..
upon talking to Immigration in Bangkok they say that I can not apply for another non-immigrant "O" visa because I only have a few days left on my current entry stamp, and that I need to have 21 days left on any kind of visa or entry stamp in order to apply for a new non-imm "o".
Suan Plu is correct, and they have signs in (I believe) room 303 which is the room you go to for change of visa that you need 21 days left on the stamp of your current entry into thailand. What I believe he misstates is they didn't say he couldn't apply for "another" non-o visa, just that he can't apply NOW with so little time left on his current stamp.
Last year , blah, blah, blah
Last year is unfortunately, last year…

What he is trying to do IS change the status. He is here under a "visa exempt" status and wants a Non-O. This is something ROUTINELY done; IF you have 21 days left on your "30-day-free-2-stay" visa exempt stamp.

He can, run to the border, enter again on visa exempt status (IF he hasn't used up his visa exempt entries), after entering, go right down to Suan Plu, and change to a Non-O, as he'll have plenty of time left on the stamp. If he has used all his visa exempts he can go to a neighboring country and get a tourist visa, come in and do the same thing.

I just changed a 30 day entry stamp to a 1 year EDU visa and

yes, it takes 10 days to process, and you have to have at least 21 days

left of your 30 day entry stamp, new rules are now being enforced.

Also was only able to do in BKK. :-(

Cheers

Lithobid

The following link takes you to immigration website click on change visa and then click For a family member of a Thai (applicable only parents, spouse or child). Some of the requirements are different from a normal visa extension. You might want to look at the extension of visa also because you are going to have to meet those requirements also.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service

Note: you do have 21 days left on your entry don't you.

Edited by ubonjoe

I'm sure it's on TV somewhere but:-

What documents are required in order to convert a 30 day exemption to a non-o (support wife) visa?

You need to qualify for a one year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai national. Look at the link from ubonjoe for the requirements. Among others you will need an income of 40,000 a mont for you, your wife or both combined, submit photo's showing that you live to gether and take your wife with you for the interview.

The following link takes you to immigration website click on change visa and then click For a family member of a Thai (applicable only parents, spouse or child). Some of the requirements are different from a normal visa extension. You might want to look at the extension of visa also because you are going to have to meet those requirements also.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service

Note: you do have 21 days left on your entry don't you.

Cheers Joe :o

From the linked site:-

In case of no children, the application must be submitted 21 days before visa expiration and Overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

In case of, marriage registered in Thailand

- Copy of marriage Certificate(Kor Ror.2)

- Copy of marriage Registeration Papers (Kor Ror.3)

In case of, marriage registration in foreign country

- Copy of marriage certificate

- Copy of the family status registration. (Kor Ror.22) (Issued by the district office in Thailand)

A copy of the letter form The Embassy or Consulate certify in that the applicant is single.

Copy of I.D. card and house registration papers of the Thai national.

Birth Certificate or medical letter certifying pregnancy, or pregnancy report booklet.(Showing parents๏ฟฝ name)

Wedding ceremony picture.(if any)

Any idea if I have to apply for the Kor Ror 22 at our current residence or where my wifeys housebook is??

EDIT HTF am I supposed to get "A copy of the letter form The Embassy or Consulate certify in that the applicant is single" since I am most definately married to the wife I'm applying to support :D.

Edited by Crossy

I don't think either one will be an absolute must have. They don't make any sense to me and are not required for an extension based upon marriage.

Did you go to the info for an extension.?

I have no problem meeting the requirements for a marriage extension (offshore income), just thought it may be easier to convert a 30 day stay rather than get a new non-o :o

I have no problem meeting the requirements for a marriage extension (offshore income), just thought it may be easier to convert a 30 day stay rather than get a new non-o :o

It looks like a pain in the a** but really not all that bad. Still better than making a visa run. I guess the biggest requirement is having 21 days left on your entry. Bangkok is defenitely sticking by it. But outside Bangkok???

The 21 day rule is not in the police order you were given link to before. In fact it only covers extensions. Not change of visa status.

I have seen posts where they may give you a 60 or 90 day extension when you do a change of status but if you have all the paperwork to get the one year they may just put a stamp in your passport telling you to come back in 30 days while they consider your application. Not exactly an extension but it keeps you legal.

I don't think either one will be an absolute must have. They don't make any sense to me and are not required for an extension based upon marriage.

If it is on the Immigration web site then that is IT.

Since when do the rules have to make sense. :o