How Much Do You Leave The House With, In Wallet Or Purse?

PeaceBlondie

i carry a wallet, a fake wallet, decoy wallet, an emergency wallet and i have unimpregnable steel socks which hide 10 baht for a phone call in case of emergencies.

i never use credit cards to prevent fraud and my atm card is kept in a hermetically-sealed, time-locked steel lockbox which is only openable for 15 mins every month when i need to pay my rent.

my rent is paid using an intermediary and i have the landlady provide 3 peices of ID and pass a retinal scan to ensure it is really her. the intemediary must go through the same procedure before i will hand over the money. Oh, i also retain custody of the intermediary's child to ensure he doesn't try to make off with the money.

you can be too safe. this is a very dangerous country, and the "average" thai makes about 50 baht a month and would happily killy you for one purple bill.

:o

Post of the year.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some unexpected comments here.

Take last night, I went into Buriram town for something to eat, meet some people and have a night out. I checked my money and had somewhere just over 10k so left the plastic at home. Had it been 5k, I would have taken the plastic with me.

I get Bt20,000 a time from the ATM and just keep it in my pocket until it is gone, then I get some more. No wallets, no rationale but I'd take a card to do the shopping.

Usual cash expenditure:

Fill truck - 2500 (was more :o)

Bits and bobs - small change

Market - 500-1000

Big C - on card

Boozing - take 10k as an average but usually come back with most of it.

Electric - 1500

UBC - 1500

Telephone - 750

Rent - 5000

Oh, and the missus often needs some money for something, just small change usually like going to the salon !

When doing business, it could be way north of 100k and that is just getting change.

I can get credit in Pattaya, Bangkok and Buriram but I don't feel comfortable without some decent cash on me. You never know when you might need some. I certainly could not walk around with only a grand on me, I'd feel naked.

Usually 1K to 2K. My partner pays the rent, buys groceries, etc. When I fill up the motorcycle, it only runs 250 baht at most (8 out of 10 liter gas tank). At first, I filled the tank 2 or 3 times a week, paid the bills from cash, etc. I used to carry 5K around but found it was not needed, unless I had to pay for something big. Tomorrow, 1020 baht for the US consulate. Next week, about 2K for immigration.