How Much Do You Leave The House With, In Wallet Or Purse?

PeaceBlondie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pointless question? If so, even more pointless opening topic. I've often wondered how much people carry, and more to the point how it's secured, seeing that there would be a pickpocket or 2 in LOS. I've added 2 names to my d......d list.

Pointless question? If so, even more pointless opening topic. I've often wondered how much people carry, and more to the point how it's secured, seeing that there would be a pickpocket or 2 in LOS. I've added 2 names to my d......d list.

D..D list??? ignoramus?? <deleted>

Edited by RakJungTorlae

Even more pointless replying to a pointless question on a pointless topic - what a Dick Head :o

2 or 3 beaver and a string of wampam.

:D

If you have two or three beaver with you, your going to need more than one string of wampum. :o

Nah, I have my beavers quite tamed. Now if you're talking about wild beaver...

:D

Edited by Heng

I usually carry 3,000 to 6,000 baht, but I have a few notes folded in a compartment--never know when your going to run into one of the BIB or some unforseen incident.

About 2 weeks ago went out with a bunch of friends for dinner and drinks. One tried to pay with credit card, but their machine wasn't working. So, I dug into my hidden cash--it had been building up, 7,000 in 1,000 notes, 5,000 in 500 notes and some more 100's, 50's, 20's. Decided that's a little too much in the wallet!

Can't spell it out Rak, probably against the rules. As a time-saving device I have a list of people whose opinions I consider not worth indulging. Life, after all, is far too short. And TV is very big.

Direct debit list then? :o

Concentrate globalj - one word starts with a d, the other ends with a d :D (as in dick head).

A friend of mine has a regular friend and a sammi noi. He used to always carry several thousand in his wallet, so that if anything happened, he would be fine. Sammi is greedy, and always wants 1000 or more every time they meet. My friend has gotten down to carrying 500 baht on him so that he can open the wallet and honestly say ?mai mee 'tang."

When I went sailing into the ditch on July 2, I learned that you can lose your backpack, mobile phone, helmet, phone numbers, sandals, helmet, etc., by the time you get home. So I am traveling lighter nowadays.

Rarely more than 10k even when off for a night out, never less than 2k, always like to have the cost of a tank of diesel (old habits).

I filled the bike with 95 (regular, not gasahol) for 120 baht today :o

Varies, but between 2000 and 10000. One ATM card, and Credit Card always left at home! I'm using UK cards, I really need to start transferring monthly sums to a thai account and use that, once I do - UK ATM will also remain at home.

I used to carry all my cards, until the day I crashed a jeep and my wallet disappeared in between accident and hospital (containing my cash, any access to more cash, and identification) - very nearly was not admitted, and was in trouble for 2 - 3 weeks arranging for new cards to be sent out to me. Always keep a card at home!

Usually about 2500 baht unless making a planned larger purchase. I don't spend that much normally but I like to take opportunities to get smaller change when I make purchases at places which won't have a problem changing 1000s. Its not enough to make me stress and I don't even carry an ATM card unless I have a plan to do go to an ATM.

BTW, I never use credit cards these days. I pay cash for everything in Thailand, including air tickets and hotel rooms unless it is an internet cc card only rate. This is a major change to way I operated in the US, where it was cc's for almost everything. I do think Thailand is much more of a cash based society but I also do this to avoid fraud.

Edited by Jingthing

Can't spell it out Rak, probably against the rules. As a time-saving device I have a list of people whose opinions I consider not worth indulging. Life, after all, is far too short. And TV is very big.

Direct debit list then? :o

Concentrate globalj - one word starts with a d, the other ends with a d :D (as in dick head).

I KNOW!!!!! :D

On a typical day, leaving the house, unless you work as a money launderer - how much do you carry?

Have your cash-carrying habits changed over the years?

I took this to mean how much do I generally have in my pocket for incidentals, not including money I have for a specific purpose such as going drinking or shopping. What the hel_l are you guys buying that you need to carry more than 5000 with you all the time? Admittedly, I live in a low cost area where 1000 baht bills can be hard to break but even going into town I have no need for more than a couple thousand unless I plan to buy something particular.

I only go out for drinking or shopping!! :o so my answer stays the same 2-3000 +ATM for shopping and 6-8000 for bar hopping. :D

On a typical day, leaving the house, unless you work as a money launderer - how much do you carry?

Have your cash-carrying habits changed over the years?

I used to carry 10k baht plus, but wised up following a 'near-miss'

So as I've got a bit older its usually 1000 - 2000 baht in pocket. If I'm touring then about a 1000 more.

AND

A decoy wallet containing cheap and obsolete currency is my 'main' wallet in case of the remote chance of an armed robbery.

A Bank card held separately in another pocket.

I call in at the bank around 1st of the month get 25000 and by the end of the month it has disappeared! So I go back to the bank again!

Seeing I pay my bills by DD or card I can never figure out where the cash goes. Is there a wallet fairy that nicks a few bills each month???

Thankyou for the elightment. Can anyone give me an accurate/polite Thai tranlation for the "wallet fairy". Now I am trying to budget my reduced pension (exchange rate victim) I notice money going all the time. I wonder how much has been dipped by the missus in the past 7 years -- blinkin' fortune I guess.

Ive just looked in my wallet, 10,700, a condom, an expired thaiair gold card,and some phone numbers, i have no idea who they are ! :D

Well you can be sure those numbers are safe to call. ( you still have the condom) and the money :o

Ah yes, but you dont know how much i went out with and how many condoms ! :D

If i go shopping with the Girlfriend 2-3000 + the ATM card, if i go Bar"s"hopping with the boys 6000-8000 shared around in as many zipped or closed pockets as possible :o

Big spenders out there!! I usually have between 500 - 1500 baht :D