Road Trip - Hua Hin To Phuket

HKChris

I'm planning a trip by private car from Hua Hin to Phuket and back over Christmas / New Year. There will be 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 daughters (Thai) aged 17 and 10. Can anyone advise on the best route, 'must see' places, any interesting stuff along the way? And any recommendation for 'family' accommodation in the Phuket area - good value and close to the water?

Thanks for your help - I've never been down that way before.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm planning a trip by private car from Hua Hin to Phuket and back over Christmas / New Year. There will be 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 daughters (Thai) aged 17 and 10. Can anyone advise on the best route, 'must see' places, any interesting stuff along the way? And any recommendation for 'family' accommodation in the Phuket area - good value and close to the water?

Hello Chris,

there are 2 ways to go from HH to Phuket. You can turn west in Chumphon and go To Rayong. This will be half the way to Phuket and you could stop there and enjoy the Hot Springs. I used to stay at the Royal Princess but there are some other options. Please take a look at www.sawadee.com.

The other way is to go through Surat Thani. This is the faster way and the drive itself is beautiful.

As you will go in the high season i would recommend to book online before you go.

Takes about 7 hours from HH and it is easy to find.

Have fun

Hello Chris,

there are 2 ways to go from HH to Phuket. You can turn west in Chumphon and go To Rayong. This will be half the way to Phuket and you could stop there and enjoy the Hot Springs. I used to stay at the Royal Princess but there are some other options. Please take a look at www.sawadee.com.

The other way is to go through Surat Thani. This is the faster way and the drive itself is beautiful.

As you will go in the high season i would recommend to book online before you go.

Have fun

If you take the Surat Thani route, you might consider Khao Sok Natl Park. It's one of the better ones in Thailand.

Hello Chris,

Have fun

If you take the Surat Thani route, you might consider Khao Sok Natl Park. It's one of the better ones in Thailand.

Hi Chris

Klikster is refering to Ranong not Rayong.

I would say that the Ranong option is the most scenic

Many thanks for your responses - very useful and much appreciated. I have the maps out and studying! I'll take the more scenic route.... for my benefit - the kids will be asleep in the back anyway!

Cheers and thanks!

HKChris