Dual Citizen Looking To Work In Thailand

I'm a dual us-thai citizen. My thai reading/speaking skills are limited but Iunderstand Thai. Aside from teaching english, are there any other careers I could look into? What kind of salary should I expect?

I graduated from a well known uni in the united states and currently work in venture capital. I enjoy my current job, but I'd eventually like to take a break from american life and give thailand a try for a few years. I've been offered a government job to do foreign diplomacy, but would prefer to do something in the private sector.

I'm male and in my 20's. I don't mind volunteering for a 6 month stint in the Thai military. Because of my limited Thai, does anyone know what the military would have me do?

thanks

Sounds like the same situation I was in after graduating. Dual citizen as well. Since you can work legally here, you're not really limited to any particular field. Spend 1-2 years or more in any job that you like (more to get a feel for local group dynamics... so that you don't end up making the type of social mistakes/burning bridges that many foreigners do), then start your own business.

Overseas Thai who don't pass on doing military service typically all end up in military intelligence.... which I hear is basically just hanging out and translating stuff. However, if you weren't added to your family's house registration until your 20's or so, it's likely you'll never even receive a call to do your mandatory service.

:o

• 1 month later...

just curious how do you know if you have dual citizenship or not? i was born in thailand and was put on the family register when i was born but other than that i do not have any thai documentation. i have an american passport and spent my whole life in the US but (i'm beyond the age of military service), i would like pursue the dual citizenship if at all possible for me.

Tony

just curious how do you know if you have dual citizenship or not?  i was born in thailand and was put on the family register when i was born but other than that i do not have any thai documentation. i have an american passport and spent my whole life in the US but (i'm beyond the age of military service), i would like pursue the dual citizenship if at all possible for me.

Tony

Since you are registered in the "Ta beian Baan", you are considered a Thai national. If you want a Thai ID just take the house registry down to the Amphur and get your Thai ID. I did that 4 months ago after pretty much living in the US all my life. I will retire from US military service in 11 months so I was just getting my "ducks" in order before I move to Thailand.

Ski

how long was the process to get a thai id card and was there a nominal fee? i look to possibly go into business w/ my father in a few years who is not a thai citizen. hopefully with me being a thai citizen this will make it easier for us to start a business there without the involvment of superflous entities.

Anyways, thanks and wish you the best of luck with your move to thailand - i can't wait til its my time.

Tony

just curious how do you know if you have dual citizenship or not?  i was born in thailand and was put on the family register when i was born but other than that i do not have any thai documentation. i have an american passport and spent my whole life in the US but (i'm beyond the age of military service), i would like pursue the dual citizenship if at all possible for me.

Tony

if you one of your parents was a Thai citizen when you were born, you automatically become a Thai citizen.

You should contact the Thai embassy in DC and ask what documentation they will require from you so that you can get a Thai Passport.

I'm a dual us-thai citizen.  My thai reading/speaking skills are limited but Iunderstand Thai.  Aside from teaching english, are there any other careers I could look into?  What kind of salary should I expect?

I graduated from a well known uni in the united states and currently work in venture capital.  I enjoy my current job, but I'd eventually like to take a break from american life and give thailand a try for a few years.  I've been offered a government job to do foreign diplomacy, but would prefer to do something in the private sector.   

I'm male and in my 20's.  I don't mind volunteering for a 6 month stint in the Thai military.  Because of my limited Thai, does anyone know what the military would have me do?

thanks

ThaiLand are in demand for professional skill people, if you do have the skill and dual citizen you won't have any problem finding a job, especially if you have a degree in US uni, it would make life much easier.