Medical Care Thailand Farang

ronnoi

:o I live in hope that this diabetic type 2 with high blood pressure can move to Bkk with his beautiful thai wife and enjoy cheap and good health care??

Please enlighten me, and with facts only..not interested in the ramblings of some Pattaya would be residents......Hospital name? costs per yr? everything or anything so welcome...thanks in advance,

Cheers

Ronnoi

:o I live in hope that this diabetic type 2 with high blood pressure can move to Bkk with his beautiful thai wife and enjoy cheap and good health care??

Please enlighten me, and with facts only..not interested in the ramblings of some Pattaya would be residents......Hospital name? costs per yr? everything or anything so welcome...thanks in advance,

Cheers

Ronnoi

http://www.bupathailand.com/construct/wwt_win03.asp?print=1

http://www.bupathailand.com/construct/wwt_win04.asp?print=1

http://www.silkspan.com/defaulte.asp?typedealer=

I am a type 2 diabetic and have lived for a awhile in thailand. I inject 30 units of mixtard insulin per day for treatment. The medication is widely available and the price is about the same as the US/Europe. What I do recommend is that you equip yourself with a BG meter for which you can easily find test strips. I have a One Touch Ultra and don't have much trouble. But you need to check this out.

Also bear in mind that you may find yourself drinking alcohol more here than elsewhere with attendant consequences for your health. Or maybe not...but something to think about....

Maybe some diabetics have health insurance, but the 'pre-existing' condition of diabetes can be the reason for being denied coverage- or payment, if you are covered. Heart attacks, strokes, liver/pancreas problems- to name just a few, would likely not be covered because diabetes increases your risk substantially for many many problems. I know because I had a stroke 3 years ago and my insurance refused to pay for it for the reasons stated above.

But, it ain't so expensive or difficult to deal with diabetes here. I've been a non-insulin type 2 for a few years. Meds are reaily available here, and no prescription needed. Just beware of clueless or wrong doctors. I've run into plenty of them here over the years. You must be proactive with your health care in Thailand.

Bummer that you can't enjoy much of a lot of Thai foods like rice and noodles, but you can easily continue your current diet here.

Maybe some diabetics have health insurance, but the 'pre-existing' condition of diabetes can be the reason for being denied coverage- or payment, if you are covered. Heart attacks, strokes, liver/pancreas problems- to name just a few, would likely not be covered because diabetes increases your risk substantially for many many problems. I know because I had a stroke 3 years ago and my insurance refused to pay for it for the reasons stated above.

But, it ain't so expensive or difficult to deal with diabetes here. I've been a non-insulin type 2 for a few years. Meds are reaily available here, and no prescription needed. Just beware of clueless or wrong doctors. I've run into plenty of them here over the years. You must be proactive with your health care in Thailand.

Bummer that you can't enjoy much of a lot of Thai foods like rice and noodles, but you can easily continue your current diet here.

Thanks for the advice, and good advice too!