Renting In Bangkok

Thanks for the info - in tems of walking around and speaking to staff at apartment buildings - is it possible to do this at any time (i.e. outside of business hours)?

Its best to visit during normal business hours 7 days a week so you can have all your questions answered. After hours the information you obtain will be limited is most cases.

Thanks for the info!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first place I stayed in in Bangkok was 12,000 Baht a month for an apartment with living room, bedroom, bathroom, air-con and all furniture. It was about 30 seconds walk to Phaya Thai BTS, and there were other smaller units in the same building for 8,000 Baht.

Best bet is to go to Skytrain stations Phaya Thai, Victory Monument and Saphan Kwai on the northern section of the Sukhumvit Line - you could also try Ari but it's a bit more pricey there, although a very nice area. Doesn't seem to be much in Sanam Pao, Mo Chit is too busy and Ratachathewi is too central, so there tends more office blocks, malls and hotels rather than condo buildings.

At these stations, you can either walk down the sois and call in at buildings you see (certainly this can be done at Ari and Victory Monument as there are condo buildings everywhere), or ask a motorbike taxi guy to take you to nearby condo buildings. Hopefully you can make yourself understood though!

Same thing can be done at Thong Lo, Ekkamai, Pra Khanong and On Nut stations on the eastern section of the Sukhumvit line - but you can forget about lower Sukhumvit and the Silom line as rent prices are ridiculous in those areas.

Don't forget about the MRT stations also - it's still easy to get around if you're near an MRT stop. I'm less familiar with which ones would be good areas to try though.

Cool - thanks for all the info - much appreciated.

Thanks for the info - in tems of walking around and speaking to staff at apartment buildings - is it possible to do this at any time (i.e. outside of business hours)?

Its best to visit during normal business hours 7 days a week so you can have all your questions answered. After hours the information you obtain will be limited is most cases.

A couple of things I have learned over the years is to look at apartments in the evening or on weekends because those are the times when I am home and I get a better feel for the noise, traffic and neighbors.

As neighboring construction work is a real pain in my side, be sure to look around your prospective building for signs that construction may be taking place soon.

Nothing worse than listening to piling or hammers at 8am on a Sat / Sun morning :o

I agree --- check out any place at random times, night and day. Let's you get an idea for noise levels and traffic etc.

That being said .. the noise level the day you move in can change radically the next day with construction or in the case of my condos, people renovating!

Depends what area you are in, but walking around normally works pretty well. Most apartments have English speaking staff if they have apartments in that budget. Many don't have websites so internet searching only reveals the expensive/overbooked places.

I also think houses are great value, If you are not worried about living in the center of Bangkok you can get a decent house for the same price as a small apartment.

This method worked for us.

The teerak & I "BTS'd" around. Got off at each stop, and from the upper BTS platform, scanned the high-rise condo buildings in the area. If any looked of interest, we exited the BTS and walked to them. If they weren't walking distance from a BTS or MRT stop, we didn't want to live there (doing this would obviously be harder with the MRT, but we found a nice orange building near Chidlom long before we had to search around the BTS stops).

If you have time to walk up and down the soi's you could find a nice house for 10 - 15k. With the trouble that you often get in condos a house is a nice and quiet option. Thais are not always pleasant neighbours and they are almost always noisy neighbours - never mind the foreign neighbours!

It does depend on your area, but if you walk around areas that you feel are nice enough you may get lucky and find some houses - there's no great rhyme or reason, the houses can pop up anywhere. My friend lives in a lovely new three bed house within fifteen minutes of his workplace and pays 10k per month. These types of houses are very good value compared to the condo units at the same price, in my opinion.

A house in Bkk for 10k per month??

Wouldn't that be nice if it was true :o

Perhaps you are talking about the outer suburbs. maybe out near the old airport? where does your friend rent a 3 bedroom house for 10k???

10k per month... in your dreams. (if only this was true)!!

Just do a quick search for house rentals around inner Bkk and this will dispell any nonsence about 10k per month.

Wouldn't that be nice if it was true

Perhaps you are talking about the outer suburbs. maybe out near the old airport? where does your friend rent a 3 bedroom house for 10k???

Just do a quick search for house rentals around inner Bkk and this will dispell any nonsence about 10k per month.

I know it is hard to believe, but I also know someone who has a 3 bedroom house for 9,000 Baht/month. It is near On Nut. Not too bad as well...

Wouldn't that be nice if it was true

I know it is hard to believe, but I also know someone who has a 3 bedroom house for 9,000 Baht/month. It is near On Nut. Not too bad as well...

Well, I just confirmed to rent a 3 bedroom on early prakhanong for 25 k per month.

Yes it is possible to rent a house for 10,000 baht a month. Don Muang is Bangkok by the way Livinginexile and the cheapest deals won't be revealed by doing an internet search.

Eastern Bangkok has the highest amount of very cheep housing. There are dozens and dozens of places for 10,000-15,000 from On Nut and eastwards.

Edited by madjbs

Living out in the boonies here is not like living in the outer suburbs in the west where you are amongst your own and can communicate. There isn't anything to do if your stuck in the middle of nowhere in your 5000bht palatial home. People say hop on a bus? just 30-40 mins, no probs? well just wait until that turns into a one hour hot as hel_l ride in gridlock. Rent as close to a BTS as possible

Living out in the boonies here is not like living in the outer suburbs in the west where you are amongst your own and can communicate. There isn't anything to do if your stuck in the middle of nowhere in your 5000bht palatial home. People say hop on a bus? just 30-40 mins, no probs? well just wait until that turns into a one hour hot as hel_l ride in gridlock. Rent as close to a BTS as possible

Each to their own really. I appreciate that living in the outskirts may not be advisable for a 'newbie' due to the issues you mention. However, once you can speak the lingo, own a car and are familiar with Thai style 'soi life' then moving to the outskirts can be pretty appealling, especially when you consider the overall savings that you can enjoy....

I still live by the BTS tho!! :o

Edited by ashacat

Living anywhere near to the expressway and you can be in central Bangkok in 20 mins. If they traffic is really bad then perhaps 30 mins. Living near the BTS is greatly over rated in my opinion.

what are you thinking? Do you ever travel when it is busy? or there has been an accident? etc

Take Rama9 expressway into town and you can get stuck for an hour easy ... on a regular basis!

I don't live near BTS ... but then again I have a bike .. we have a car ... I speak and read Thai ... etc etc

But man did it suck being out here the first few months!

Ehhh.. yes I travel all the time and the vast majority of times the traffic is fine. I normally use the expressway that goes to Chaeng Wattana and the one which passes north of the airport. The times when it has been worst was at rush hour on Friday afternoon, but even then it only took 10-15 mins longer than expected.

Edited by madjbs

Would be nice to know which embassy you are going to be employed by because the closer to your work will make your life much easier.

If its one on or near near wireless road their is many places in Sathorn you can get at a good price I.E Lumpini place about 8000 for a decent sized studio and all amenities and even Makro next door.

They have 1 bedroom but obviously the cost is more and i would advise you find your feet before jumping into any long contracts.

Now i stay in a 2 bedroom for 10000 not the best building in BKK but the apartment is fine and somewhere my crazy ex girlfriend wont think of looking.

Good luck.

Would be nice to know which embassy you are going to be employed by because the closer to your work will make your life much easier.

If its one on or near near wireless road their is many places in Sathorn you can get at a good price I.E Lumpini place about 8000 for a decent sized studio and all amenities and even Makro next door.

They have 1 bedroom but obviously the cost is more and i would advise you find your feet before jumping into any long contracts.

Now i stay in a 2 bedroom for 10000 not the best building in BKK but the apartment is fine and somewhere my crazy ex girlfriend wont think of looking.

Good luck.

I think she may have been with me for a while but I have security and a lift pass, problem solved no need to run :o

That being said .. the noise level the day you move in can change radically the next day with construction or in the case of my condos, people renovating!

Renovating !! is that what they call it ?

I don't think in all the years I've been here that someone is not "renovating"

99% of the work seems to be done by percussive tools.

Good luck.

I think she may have been with me for a while but I have security and a lift pass, problem solved no need to run :o

Come on i never said i was running just said she wouldn't find my apartment. Mind you seen her in Sukhumvit a couple of nights ago i think next time i'll run.

Now back to the thread please. :D

Yes it is possible to rent a house for 10,000 baht a month. Don Muang is Bangkok by the way Livinginexile and the cheapest deals won't be revealed by doing an internet search.

Eastern Bangkok has the highest amount of very cheep housing. There are dozens and dozens of places for 10,000-15,000 from On Nut and eastwards.

Well I suppose if one dosn't mind renting in the " I might as well be living on the moon" area then I agree one could probably rent a house for that price.

But really...the back of On Nut?

A young woman working in Bkk living out the back of the old airport?

C'mon....

Actually one could probably rent a lot cheaper out there in the boonies, but jeez you...

Might as well be living on the moon :o

The OP is a young woman working in Bkk...would this be the place for her to live?

So much detailed advice but no one seems to have hit on the obvious. She is not landing in Bangkok and on her own with no local contacts. She will have coworkers and most likely Embassy recomendations that will assist with housing choices. Not only does that solve the problem of finding housing it will also be specific to the particular embassy location and will likely house other embassy employees that will give her an instant support network to stave off loneliness and culture shock.

If the embassy doesn't assist pre-arrival or on arrival I would be surprised, but if they don't, a weekly hotel room rental will suffice until she starts work. Within a few days at work she should be flooded with recomendations.

I think she is worrying too much and getting ahead of herself. What she needs is recomendations for weekly room rentals near whatever embassy she will be at.

Good luck.

This is a VERY important consideration.

Hi guys,

I'm actually looking for a studio apartment within 5000 - 6000 THB per month. (fully furnished)

Do you all walk around and go to the building directly to ask the reception or is there a good website I can go to.

Because the apartments I see online are over my budget, I'll be in BKK only on alternate months.

I'm hoping to stay around Rama XI / Huay Kwang / Ratchadapisek area...(preferably with a MRT station nearby)

Thanks for any advice...

Should be able to get somewhere in those locations for that price, but do it in person, anything advertised online will be out of your budget. Unless you can read Thai - there are a few good Thai Language websites with some affordable properties.