Wheels And Tires, Where To Buy And How Much?

quiksilva

I have always liked custom wheels but have never looked into it in any great depth, but lately I have been thinking about swapping my stock 18" wheels on my brand new Captiva to 20" mags and new tires.

Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of by increasing wheel size? (safety, ride comfort, stability, fuel economy etc)

What do I look for when choosing said rim, beyond the aesthetics?

Which brands do you like that are available in Thailand and have a good selection of designs? I have heard of Lenso for instance, are they any good?

What can I expect to pay?

Lots of questions there but any insights that you could share will be appreciated

Edited by quiksilva

You would have to have a low profil tyre or your speed-o will be wrong..

No idea what you have at the moment.. but say it is 215x65x18 they you will need something like 215x50x20 = a much harder ride.

If you do a search on wheel/tyres you will find what you need, best to search 'UK web' as will be in English + 100's of sites..

I just did a quick search on my Audi it says to go down .10 per rim size, so if it is the same for your car would meen you need x45 or x50 as max wall size to keep the speedo/milage right

Hi ^^

I wanted to do the same for the new crv but roads in Thailand su... are not :-) as good as at home...

A friend of mine broke his brand new wheels here.

Anyway, once on the old E46 323i I bought 18" rims from BSA with 225 45 ZR18 Hankook Sport K104. Hankook are great and far more comfortable than the Bridgestone run flat that are on the e90 330i now...

For the crv... Will keep the 17" first and maybe I will lookk for 18 but not more.

I suggest you to try to drive a captiva on 20" before purchasing (if possible)

Anyway, I bought the old wheels at Car Boutique on Rama 9 (walls are all yellow). But I saw one near Anusawari and an other one at din daeng.

Have fun ^^

from experience ...

increasing the mag size would probably mean you have to use a lower profile tyre.

lower profile tyres dampens less force which means you will feel the bumps of the road a bit more.

this would also mean that more force will come to your shocks and dampeners - which gives them a shorter life span.

i don't know if it is just me but the acceleration seemed to get a bit heavier from complete stop (little additional weight), but the car seemed more stable in really high speed. it seemed to hug the road better as well - then again, i did a + 3" in mag diameter, went 40-series in tyre, and both being wider =p

also note that low profile tyres are generally more expensive than stock sizes.