Birds in your garden

we get very brave collared dove types which aren't bothered by me

We get those little gray birds, not afraid they walk around on the ground and have accidently nearly stepped on one on several occasions w00t.gif

Edited by Daffy D
  • Like 2

we get very brave collared dove types which aren't bothered by me

We get those little gray birds, not afraid they walk around on the ground and have accidently nearly stepped on one on several occasions w00t.gif

Zebra Dove most probably. Sometimes they're referred to as Peaceful Doves.

• Like 1

Dead bird is a Siberian Thrush - I seem to remember Isanbirder already makingt that ID in another thread. The first pic of Storks looks like mostly Openbill Storks with possibly a few Painted Storks. The Coucal is a Greater.

That's correct on the Siberian Thrush.

How to tell the difference between Greater and Lesser Coucal?

Dead bird is a Siberian Thrush - I seem to remember Isanbirder already makingt that ID in another thread. The first pic of Storks looks like mostly Openbill Storks with possibly a few Painted Storks. The Coucal is a Greater.

That's correct on the Siberian Thrush.

How to tell the difference between Greater and Lesser Coucal?

Lesser have buffish streaks on their bodies that are quite visible. But they are also generally much more skulking and tend to stay in high grass or reeds near water. If it's hopping around your garden fully exposed, you can pretty much peg it as a Greater.

• Like 1

Huge variety - from that tiny little humming bird size one, always tapping the window as it hoovers up the insects of it, many mid sized like those black and white ones with the large tails that whiz round on the ground to the large mynars, coucals, dove like and pigeons. Their are some large trees next to one of my study windows (top floor). One day there was a large owl sitting in the tree. Didn't bother when it noticed me but watched for a while before getting bored and flying off.

All the birds nick the dogs' food and water that's out outside the kitchen door. One or two even cheeky enough to nip in the kitchen! Dogs don't bother chasing them much now.

We get lots of nests in the trees and the tameness of the birds is surprising although I worry that they are too unworried by humans and cars; not all are friendly.

• Like 2

Well I've learnt something today: birds like dog food.

Occasionally I've opened up over ripe (for us to eat) bananas and left them in the garden for the birds to eat but they didn't seem interested (I know the field rats love bananas so can't leave the bananas out over night).

• Like 1

I'm living in the suburbs of Bangkok and I'm always surprised by the amount of different birds and songs in my garden (which isn't big!)! Around my house in the paddy-fields are a lot more.

As I cannot load them all I send herewith the link to my album

• Like 1

Not my garden ,but went to the local lake for a sneaky small chang today.

And for the second time i saw the same kingfisher.

Its probably nothing to you- but means alot to me

These birds are very shy. I lived in oxford on a beautiful lake in a caravan and only saw this bird once! Anyway- sorry for the rant - as you were !

If it wasnt for birds, we wouldnt have planes !

Reminds me of that movie 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' Hehe

They are All Relatives Of Dinosaurs !

I'm living in the suburbs of Bangkok and I'm always surprised by the amount of different birds and songs in my garden (which isn't big!)! Around my house in the paddy-fields are a lot more.

As I cannot load them all I send herewith the link to my album

That's impressive; loved no.15.

• Like 1

Below is my BKK Yard List (only a 5 minute walk to Sukhumvit Road!)...adhering to the rules set by myself and AjarnNorth, above. Species seen OR heard from the property you reside in, including distant flyovers and heard only. I'm fortunate to have an "oasis" of Old Thailand habitat directly behind my building...including but not limited to mango and jackfruit trees, a banana grove and a klong. My 5th floor lanai affords a wonderful treetop vantage point and alot of open sky, unobstructed by any trees and only a few distant buildings. Have only been in this apartment for a couple months and the list currently stands at 39. It includes some rather nice species...and a glaring absentee or two. Hope others will join in submitting their yard lists...though doubt (m)any of us can compete with the impressive and enviable list of AjarnNorth!

Openbill Stork

Painted Stork

Great Egret

Chinese Pond Heron

Black-shouldered Kite

Shikra

Black-capped Kingfisher

Blue-tailed Bee-eater

Pied Fantail

Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker

Olive-backed Sunbird

Brown-throated Sunbird

Inornate Warbler (prefer this name over Yellow-browed)

Common Iora

Coppersmith Barbet

Indian Roller

Magpie Robin

Palm Swift

House Swift

Barn Swallow

Red-whiskered Bulbul

Yellow-vented Bulbul

Streak-eared Bulbul

Plaintive Cuckoo

Lesser Coucal (heard)

Greater Coucal

Common Koel (Nok GowWow)

Blue Rock-Thrush

Plain-backed Sparrow

Tree Sparrow

Common Myna

White-vented Myna (Javan Myna)

Pink-necked Pigeon

Zebra Dove

Spotted Dove

Rock Dove

Black-naped Oriole

Black-collared Starling

Large-billed Crow

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

The wife took this photo (with iphone) of an owl in our garden wall (khlong, trees, fishfields behind the wall). What type of owl is it, and is it adult or juvenile?

attachicon.gifIMG_2238.JPG

Collared scops Owl.

Is it a native or visitor to Thailand? I ask as i couldn't find much about it and Thailand on the web, but i know the local collectors around me keep them (my barber 200 m for example keeps them and eagles) so was wondering was an escapee (wouldn't be the first escapee in my garden).