Home Ice Cream Makers

Slogger

Does anyone know where I can buy home ice cream making machines and if anyone has experience of using them, which type is best? Are they really worth buying compared to just buying good manufactured ice cream?

Edited by Slogger

I have made Ice Cream here using eggs from my own fowl and it was the best I have ever tasted but I did it manually, taking out of the freezer and mixing by hand I recommend duck eggs as opposed to insipid chickens. try that first and then see if you want a machine

Pete

Now I have an ice cream maker which I brought over from Australia I used to make ice cream for a while

but it is very expensive to make your own( ok it taste a bit better) but a lot of work involved to make it

My sugestion is, if you don't eat a lot of it just buy it

My POV on this is that I live in BKK and tend to make the things I can't find easily, cheaply, or of decent quality (relative term, I know) in the city.

Cheap ice cream of reasonably good quality is pretty easy to find here.

Some gourmet foodies might go ICK!, but, I think Swensens' stuff is good enough for me. Other than that, any grocery store that carries some amount of farang style food (JUSCO, LOTUS, MAKRO, Foodland, etc.) generally has something - It's just about finding the store near you that carries a decent size selection that you like.

Now, hard cheese, hel_l - tell us when you got that one figured out 4 cheap (see the threads on that) - LOL :o

it is not hard and not expensive, you cheap lazy bastard.

i taught some isaan kids how to do it. you get milk, half and half, eggs and sugar. mix it all together and put it in a small coffee can. seal the can.

then put the small coffee can inside a bigger coffee can and surround it with ice and rock salt.

seal the outer can. then roll it back and forth between you and another person, or roll it up an incline and let it return back to you.

some isaan ladies watching me do this with a kid offered a very long piece of cloth. instead of rolling on the floor, you can do this standing up. alternating the lifting and lowering of the cloth causes the can to roll back and forth between two people.

the can should get really cold. every so often drain the water and fill more ice and salt. after awhile the inner can should become hard, all of its liquid contents finally freezing.

after doing this i practically had an entire korat village at my doorstep. :o

you will seriously piss off the ice cream man peddling nestle on his motorbike because nothing beats this homemade stuff. if you lived in thailand long enough you will even forget what real ice cream tastes because this stuff is 100 percent real dairy and no BS fillers, palm oils, etc.

if anyone seriously wants an ice cream maker i have a couple i was thinking of bringing with me from the states. they are 110 volt electric/manual crank combos. obviously the crank is universal but you would most likely need a step down adapter for the 110 volts.

jeff

p.s. i forgot to mention it may be hard to find coffee cans in your area as most shops sell coffee in bags now. so look around for baby formula. they sell that in cans. the idea is to get a large enough outer can so that you get a decent layer of ice and rock salt inside it. i had a problem with my can not being large enough (compared to the inner can) so it did not get cold as fast as I wanted.

Now I have an ice cream maker which I brought over from Australia I used to make ice cream for a while

but it is very expensive to make your own( ok it taste a bit better) but a lot of work involved to make it

My sugestion is, if you don't eat a lot of it just buy it

Edited by gonzobrains

Many thanks for the suggestions - I am really after a small ice cream maker that goes inside a freezer and has its own power. I know about Swensons and eat it myself, and other quality ice creams are easily come by where I live but was looking to make my own flavours and quality. The big maker on the website a previous poster supplied - I saw it myself in Paragon but it is too big and u need all that ice and salt - not a good option and quite an expensive machine. As for the Esan solution - well I will keep it in mind if ever I am stuck out there with no way to buy ice cream, or if I ever take up teaching domestic scince to kids. But thx for the suggestions, anyway.

too big?  that machine looked pretty standard size to me.  looks like an american-style one.  i have an extra one in my garage i thought about bringing along with me on my next trip.  it is electric and manual so if you are out in the sticks you can still get a few kids to crank away at it with "zero carbon footprint" hahaha.

the ice and salt is really cheap compared to the dairy products you have to use.  half and half was not very cheap when i found it in the shop.

jeff

Many thanks for the suggestions - I am really after a small ice cream maker that goes inside a freezer and has its own power. I know about Swensons and eat it myself, and other quality ice creams are easily come by where I live but was looking to make my own flavours and quality. The big maker on the website a previous poster supplied - I saw it myself in Paragon but it is too big and u need all that ice and salt - not a good option and quite an expensive machine. As for the Esan solution - well I will keep it in mind if ever I am stuck out there with no way to buy ice cream, or if I ever take up teaching domestic scince to kids. But thx for the suggestions, anyway.

too big? that machine looked pretty standard size to me. looks like an american-style one. i have an extra one in my garage i thought about bringing along with me on my next trip. it is electric and manual so if you are out in the sticks you can still get a few kids to crank away at it with "zero carbon footprint" hahaha.

the ice and salt is really cheap compared to the dairy products you have to use. half and half was not very cheap when i found it in the shop.

jeff

how much for the one in your garage?

I have a step-down already for all my stuff brought from the US.

I call first dibs... if the price is right :o

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I  have some ice cream machines to sell.

The price for one is 60 000 baths.

Do not hesitate to call me for informations, (pictures, etc...)

Write me if you need any informations.

Antony, 0822 85 29 19. Thailand.

antoine7373[at]hotmail.com

Kind regards.