Birmingham Consulate Rather Than Hull

I will be staying within walking distance of the UK Birmingham Consulate when the time comes to apply for my 1 Year Non-Imm.O Multi.

Everyone says send the passport off to Hull for hassle-free service, but if I'm so close to Brum. why not use them? Are they significantly less likely to rubber stamp a NIOM for visiting semi-fictional friends? Do they do a similar same day service by appointment? (their website is less informative than Hull's, granted.)

Seems an unnecessary risk to post off a passport when within strolling distance of Brum Consulate. Also, might the Hull consulate rightly wonder why a Brummie is applying to them rather than the nearer consulate?

Cheers,

K.

I will be staying within walking distance of the UK Birmingham Consulate when the time comes to apply for my 1 Year Non-Imm.O Multi.

Everyone says send the passport off to Hull for hassle-free service, but if I'm so close to Brum. why not use them? Are they significantly less likely to rubber stamp a NIOM for visiting semi-fictional friends? Do they do a similar same day service by appointment? (their website is less informative than Hull's, granted.)

Seems an unnecessary risk to post off a passport when within strolling distance of Brum Consulate. Also, might the Hull consulate rightly wonder why a Brummie is applying to them rather than the nearer consulate?

Cheers,

K.

I've been going to Birmingham for several years for my non imm 'O' visa. I live in Thailand but have to go back to the UK every year and always get my new visa there. I've sugested Birmingham to several friends and

they've never had any problems either, the guy there is always helpful. They're only open until about miday though, not all day. If you go there about 8-30/9 o'clock in the morning for an extra fiver he'll do your visa while

you wait. It'll take less than five minutes and it works out cheaper for you than registered mail both ways to Hull.

I've just looked on their visa application form and it says their opening tims are 8-00AM to 11-30AM but if you want to phone them first to confirm it their number is 0121 643 9481. The application forms are available from

the front desk of the office block so you can get them any time of the day.

'edited after checking opening times'

Edited by sumrit

I was back in the UK in June to get a Non'O' and found that there is a small but significant difference with the application forms between Birmingham and Hull Consulates, the Birmingham application form wanted paperwork to back up your application for a Non 'O' if you are under fifty years of age and makes no mention of granting one for just visiting friends and family, I called the guy at the Birmingham office who after a conversation about my reasons for wanting a 1 year visa then asked for copies of my Company paperwork, I mentioned that my company was only formed for home ownership and I was not applying for a 'B' Visa and the fact that the documents run to about 30 pages and are with my Thai Lawyer , he told me to get copies of the first 2 or 3 pages and send them to him, after I got off the phone I then looked online at the Hull website and on their form no mention on the application of needing any supporting paperwork and also Non 'O' Visa is available for just visiting friends and family, so unless my case was a one off mistake or you are over fifty I would use Hull, spoke to the guy there who just told me to send my pasport and the postal order for the fee sent recorded delivery back in 2 days.

Okay... mixed reviews. Their pages are certainly less encouraging than Hull's. One interpretation of the non-O supporting documentation is that you must have a marriage cert. or equivalent. I was planning to put 'visiting friends' - which is true, they just don't know it yet.

Sumrit - what docs do you provide with your application?

• 3 months later...

Okay, I haven't posted an update until I actually had a visa in my hand, which I do YAY! :o:D:D

But... not without a hiccup, and NOT from Brimingham :P

I had my Canada trip cancelled, so next day trotted off to Tesco's at Five Ways to stock up on passport photos for the Thai visa application and later use. Oddly Tesco's wouldn't lend me a pair of scissors to trim the photos because the photo-booth company had gone bankrupt... :D:D I think that may have been due to the language barrier, actually.

Anyway I legged it over to 1 Victoria Square, opposite birmingham Old Town Hall and to the Institute of Directors' reception that handles consular enquiries too and they rang upstairs to get someone. I was amusing my self with their scissors and my photos when I hear someone behind me say "Have you got all your papers?". I turned to see a guy who for all the world looked like the character Moxey (the Scouse petty crook from "Auf Wiedersehen Pet"), unshaven and in sweats, and thought he's some fellow traveller so I was polite but carried on with the photos.

moxey.jpg

Moxey then invited me to sit down with him and it dawned on me he was the visa guy from the consul - had been expecting someone more business-like, tie at least. Anyway he denied me the 1 year non-imm. 'O', pointing out as mentioned above, that the Birmingham form limits such for spouses and over-fifties. He said they were "'tightening up the rules a lot." I could, apparently, get one with a letter of sponsorship from a Thai who would undertake to pay for shipping me home in the event of problems.

So, I was back on the street, visa-less. I called the Hull Consulate number and had a long and reassuring chat with a very nice lady who assured me I would get a visa by post from them just for visiting friends. I returned home, printed off a new Hull form (very nice new website design), put visiting friends for the reason, added six squid to the £100 visa fee for special delivery return, only one photo (to Birmingham's two) and added a covering letter explaining that I was visiting a friend who is an associate prof at XYZ university and will then use BKK as a hub to visit a list of neighbouring countries. Handed the lot over to the post office about noon the same day.

Postie arrived today at 11am and there was my passport with a shiny 1YN-I'O' visa :jerk: - less than 48 hrs.

So, if you're under 50, single and not willing to put someone local on the spot for sponsorship, go for the Hull postal route.

Thanks for the replies, but Hull for me from now on :wai:

Now... flights...

Edited by phaethon

Okay, I haven't posted an update until I actually had a visa in my hand, which I do YAY! :o:D:D

But... not without a hiccup.

I had my Canada trip cancelled, so next day trotted off to Tesco's at Five Ways to stock up on passport photos for the Thai visa application and later use. Oddly Tesco's wouldn't lend me a pair of scissors to trim the photos because the photo-booth company had gone bankrupt... :D:D I think that may have been due to the language barrier, actually.

Anyway I trotted off to 1 Victoria Square and to the Institute of Directors' reception that handles consular enquiries too and they rang upstairs to get someone. I was amusing my self with their scissors and my photos when I hear someone behind me say "Have you got all your papers?". I turned to see guy who for all the world looked like the character Moxey (the Scouse petty crook from "Auf Wiedersehen Pet"), unshaven and in sweats, and thought he's some fellow traveller so I was polite but carried on with the photos. Moxey then invited me to sit down with him and it dawned on me he was the visa guy from the consul - had been expecting someone more business-like, tie at least. Anyway he denied me the 1 year non-imm. 'O', pointing out as mentioned above, that the Birmingham form limits such for spouses and over-fifties. He said they were "'tightening up the rules a lot." I could, apparently, get one with a letter of sponsorship from a Thai who would undertake to pay for shipping me home in the event of problems.

So, I was back on the street, visa-less. I called the Hull Consulate number and had a long and reassuring chat with a very nice lady who assured me I would get a visa by post from them just for visiting friends and I returned home, printed off a new Hull form (very nice new website design), put visiting friends for the reason, added six squid to the £100 visa fee for special delivery return and added a covering letter explaining that I was visiting a friend who is an associate prof at XYZ university and will then use BKK as a hub to visit a list of neighbouring countries. Handed the lot over to the post office about noon the same day.

Postie arrived today at 11am and there was my passport with a shiny 1YN-I'O' visa :jerk: - less than 48 hrs.

So, if you're under 50, single and not willing to put someone local on the spot for sponsorship, go for the Hull postal route.

Thanks for the replies, but Hull for me from now on :P

Now... flights...

Well done. We Love Hull :wai:

What about the Consulate at Liverpool?

Do they give non-imm 'O's out at the drop of a hat also? And what's needed?

Apparently yes. A friend from Manchester always gets his from Liverpool without any problems. You can phone for details

IMO the very popularity of Hull may one day sow the seeds of its own demise.

That's what worries me, who knows what the situation/rules will be in 14 months' time. Wouldn't want to take an expensive trip back to renew just to find the rules have been 'tightened'. :o

That's what worries me, who knows what the situation/rules will be in 14 months' time. Wouldn't want to take an expensive trip back to renew just to find the rules have been 'tightened'. :o

I doubt they will be doing any tightening-up. Thailand needs tourists and long-stayers. They might well bring the cost of visas DOWN sometime soon. Plus a quad tourist visa is always available at Hull. No worries. :D