Meat Pies In Bangkok

vicksajnani

Its a "Pasty" not a "Pastry" - That Fish and Chips place near Khao San does the best Cornish Pasty i have had outside Cornwall by the way..

Hi,

for the last three month's we have been selling a lot of our Steak & Ale Pies at the Bistro and Chefsxp - they go down a treat with regulars at the Bistro and on line as well - I have now decided to add a "Cornish Pastry" to our menu which I'l be making today and which will be added to the menu tomorrow - its gonna be traditonal in a short crust pastry with nothing but good Beef Onions and Potato's as a filling - its also going to be substantial in size and a full meal on its own

John

Bistro Eurogourmet

chefsxp for your on line order

I lived in Australia for 12 years (no sympathy needed i'm over it) and they did a survey on meat pies and found most of the fillings were kangaroo and believe it or not camel when i heard that i was hopping mad and got the hump. But yes i agree totally crap.

cor blimey 12 yrs? I lived there for 3 yrs, I feel for you. Anyway what's this about aussie pies? One can go to any British pub and get that muck, prolly better made. As for Sydney pies, lot of that stuff is manufactured in Perth and shipped frozen there to Woolies & Coles supermarkets, IGA and other food stores. I can't think of any typical aussie muck apart from lamington. Talking of which, I know a supplier down in the Central Coast. If there is a demand I can get imported (via a Thai distributor) in Thailand.

I have now decided to add a "Cornish Pastry" to our menu which I'l be making today and which will be added to the menu tomorrow - its gonna be traditonal in a short crust pastry with nothing but good Beef Onions and Potato's as a filling - its also going to be substantial in size and a full meal on its own

Shouldn't it have a root veg to be traditional? Turnips or parsnips?

Ingredients for filling (from a little old Cornish lady)

3/4 lb beef, not stewing beef

raw potato

raw swede (also known as rutabaga or yellow/swedish turnip...

small onion

salt and pepper

a walnut sized piece of butter

Cornish Pasty - Traditional Ingredients

The traditional filling of meat, potatoes, onion and turnip

For the pasty filling

Chuck steak or skirt

Two Large potatoes

Half a large swede (turnip as second best)

One large onion

Salt and pepper to taste

Water

I have a British chap here who is dying for proper Cornish Pasties. If I can't find any in BKK he's happy with (and so far, none have sufficed), I'll need to revive my pastry making skills.

according to a chef friend of mine in Cornwall .. adding anything else is just an excuse to put less meat into the pasty

My father-in-law is Cornish and insisted on the ingredients I mentioned. Each to their own I guess (and by not putting in the root veg, you do save on money in BKK).

But, I did my best. It's a pity really, as we order from ChefExpress on the weekends, so being able to get Cornish Pasties too would be a treat as well as a time saver.

(I guess it's time to get out the pastry recipes...)

My father-in-law is Cornish and insisted on the ingredients I mentioned. Each to their own I guess (and by not putting in the root veg, you do save on money in BKK).

But, I did my best. It's a pity really, as we order from ChefExpress on the weekends, so being able to get Cornish Pasties too would be a treat as well as a time saver.

(I guess it's time to get out the pastry recipes...)

Hi,

well as to the contents of the cornish pasty, I just had a chap in our Bistro Eurogourmet thread complain that our pasty was no good since it contained steak meat ..... probably someone with alterior motives or someone who has only ever had cornish pastries from Tesco's with a kind of minced filling where one does not notice any steak meat or the lack of it.

His other comment was that he will have McDonalds today because its freshly made and he knows what he gets ... lol ... nuff said as old Trink would have put it

We have finally managed to employ a further member of staff and after she's had a weeks training, we re planning to open Sunday's, beginning with next Sunday and close on Tuesdays instead,

best regards

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Wikipedia : the traditional recipe includes diced steak, finely sliced onion, and potato.

Oh, well, if Wikipedia said it, it must be true.

Instead of using Wiki (which is about as authoratative as a bloke down the pub), why not try Google. Just tap in "Cornish pasty traditional recipe" and see what turns up.

Actually, I just did it and the first four recipes all include swede/turnip.

You're welcome.

You will also find "traditional" recipies for cornish pasty with carrots and many other veggies ... when it say's "traditional" that may be traditional in whoever wrote the recipe mind or family but not necessarily in general.

I have no problem adding swede or turnip to our pasty's but surely than someone else will complain .... this guy's (in our Bistro thread) complaint was that there was steak meat in the pasty ... also considering that the swede, when used was basically used as a filler since meat was/is expensive I figured not to use any in order to produce as high a quality pasty as possible

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Oh, well, if Wikipedia said it, it must be true.

I'm with you there on Wikipedia as it's too easy to change the copy without being noticed by someone in the know.

In saying that... if you read further down, you'll find this...

Ingredients (Wikipedia)

While there are no completely standard pasty ingredients, the traditional recipe includes diced steak, finely sliced onion, and potato. Other common ingredients include swede (rutabaga, called yellow turnip in Cornwall) and sometimes parsley.

In preparation, yesterday I purchased parsnips. They are not cheap, but what they add in flavour far outweighs the cost when adding to stews, soups, meat pies and pasties. And if I'm going to put time into a dish (especially one wrapped in pastry), I want it to be tasty.

You will also find "traditional" recipies for cornish pasty with carrots and many other veggies ... when it say's "traditional" that may be traditional in whoever wrote the recipe mind or family but not necessarily in general.

Absolutely, John, there with you 100%.

I wasn't really havin a go at you, it's just I get alerted by ninjas any time someone quotes from Wiki :o

Traditional - schmaditional; just make a nice pasty!

Who gives a rats arse about cornish pasties? I believe the original post was about genuine aussie pies, not english crap. The Australian version of the pie has a shortcrust base with a puff pastry lid and the filling is a savoury mince type mixture that is fairly heavy with gravy and gelatin to hold it all together. For all you english people they are nothing like your damp soggy things you call pies.

For the OP---- The food market in Siam Paragon has Vili's Pies for sale in their frozen section. A south australian pie made by a hungarian immigrant baker and now undoubtably australia's best mass marketed pie. I also noticed Mrs Macs pies there once but they have since dissapeared so don't know where you can find them.

As for that dude who said most pies have kangaroo and camel meat--- get a life mate, thats just stupid and ill-informed. I take it that after 12 years there you still have no tan and complain loudly how hot it is and how rude the "colonials" are!

Who gives a rats arse about cornish pasties? I believe the original post was about genuine aussie pies, not english crap. The Australian version of the pie has a shortcrust base with a puff pastry lid and the filling is a savoury mince type mixture that is fairly heavy with gravy and gelatin to hold it all together. For all you english people they are nothing like your damp soggy things you call pies.

Now Now Calvi .....

The original post was about "Meat Pies in Bangkok" and only as subline it mentioned Australian food ...

We currently offer 2 kind of pies .. a "Steak & Ale Pie" and a "Cornish Pasty" and both are made with "short crust pastry" as they should and neither is soggy since we make short crust pastry with a lot of butter which not only tastes great, but also stops the pastry from absorbing the gravy to a point. Both pies contain chunks of Beef rather than, the usually considered inferior, minced meat for which you can of course use a much cheaper cut and which is easier in prep work.

Everyone to his/her taste, but there is no need to "slander" any countries traditional food - one thing makes me wonder, you are obviously Australian ... why the "beef" with Kangaroo meat ? if it wasn't so expensive over here I would love to use it for some specials - if well prepared its like fillet of beef but with flavor

John - neither him nor related in any way or business wise connected to "big John" and his .. pies

Edited by JohnBKKK

Absolutely right. All English pies are crap, damp, soggy things. They do not know how to make pies in England. They are so stupid.

Only in Australia can you get good pies, with shortcrust base a puff pastry lid.

Why this discrepancy? Simple: English people are really, really stupid and Australian people are really, really clever and much better than the English, who don't even know how to make pies.

Wikipedia : the traditional recipe includes diced steak, finely sliced onion, and potato.

according to a chef friend of mine in Cornwall .. adding anything else is just an excuse to put less meat into the pasty

John

Nonsense, is the Chef Cornish or an Emmet?

I have never in my life eaten a Pasty with just beef, potato and onion. You certainly wouldn't sell a Pasty in Cornwall with just that in it.

I think you may even find, that if you go back a little further the inital meat would have probably been mutton. Lot's of debates about what constitutes a pasty, but for me, you got have swede(Turnip) in there. Carrots are a no, no!!!

BTW I am Cornish.

IN reference, as Chalvy doesn't know the difference between Cornwall and England, I think we'll pass on his assumption that all pies from the UK are crap.

John

Nonsense, is the Chef Cornish or an Emmet?

I have never in my life eaten a Pasty with just beef, potato and onion. You certainly wouldn't sell a Pasty in Cornwall with just that in it.

I think you may even find, that if you go back a little further the inital meat would have probably been mutton. Lot's of debates about what constitutes a pasty, but for me, you got have swede(Turnip) in there. Carrots are a no, no!!!

BTW I am Cornish.

IN reference, as Chalvy doesn't know the difference between Cornwall and England, I think we'll pass on his assumption that all pies from the UK are crap.

Lets agree to diferent opinions on the swede .... but agree on certainly NO carrots :o

as to pies from the UK lets simply say there are very good pies (usually artisan produced) and very bad pies (usually mass produced for supermarkets) as I'm sure there are in Australia and the rest of the world

Edited by JohnBKKK

The Ozzie one's have shrimp and vegimite in them I understand. :o

Wrong on two counts - there is no such thing as "shrimp" in Oz (they are prawns), and ditto "vegimite" (sic) :D

Better tell Paul Hogan then mate, he still calls them shrimp, or was that Bubba from Forest Gump? :D

Wrong on two counts - there is no such thing as "shrimp" in Oz (they are prawns), and ditto "vegimite" (sic) :D

Better tell Paul Hogan then mate, he still calls them shrimp, or was that Bubba from Forest Gump? :D

Only "shrimp" for an advertising blitz featuring Hogan, and centred on the US. Back "home", I doubt that Hogan, or any other Ozstralian would refer to Dendrobranchiata as anything other than prawn :D

Yeah, "Throw another prawn on the Malibu Stacey" doesn't have the same ring to it.

• 1 month later...

aahhhh its good to see the 'Spelling Police' are still on patrol. When on earth will you ever get over yourself jackbratt?

• 3 weeks later...

Bunters, traditional Brit butcher. Haven't tried his pies yet but his bacon and sausages are great. Normaly supplies Brit pubs but will sell to the gen. public and if you order enough will deliver. Google him to enter the relms of meaty pleasure.

Hi,

for the last three month's we have been selling a lot of our Steak & Ale Pies at the Bistro and Chefsxp - they go down a treat with regulars at the Bistro and on line as well - I have now decided to add a "Cornish Pastry" to our menu which I'l be making today and which will be added to the menu tomorrow - its gonna be traditonal in a short crust pastry with nothing but good Beef Onions and Potato's as a filling - its also going to be substantial in size and a full meal on its own

John

Bistro Eurogourmet

chefsxp for your on line order

Genuine Cornish pasty ingredients : Chuck steak or skirt ,Potato , Swede/turnip , Onion , salt and pepper to taste , ensconsed in crusty pastry , there are many variations . :o

• 2 weeks later...