Wasted Lcd Tv Phenomena In Pattaya

1unique

Has anyone else noticed the latest LCD TV WASTE Phenomena??

I have recently noticed that it has become trendy for every thai company,office,shop,Bank etc etc to have a large LCD tv installed on the wall and then NEVER TURN IT ON!!

TOT (new office south pattaya road) has aprox 12 expensive new LCD TV screens that are always OFF)

Pattaya Imigration Soi 5 Jomtien, also has LCD TVS OFF, and public computers for free internet also OFF and free water bottle despenser with NO CUPS.

Every Bank also has new LCD TVs that are always OFF

Some shops in the phone section (second floor Tukom) have now put expensive LCDs in. yes, youve guessed it. always OFF

take a look your self you will see this Phenomena everywhere in Thai owned places,

Every Dentist now has LCDs also turned off.

Does anyone know why they dont bother to turn the TVs on?

Is it something similar to the "lets keep the Selophane on everything forever"

Is it just to show off a display of wealth and look modern?

I was in TOT last week, I really wanted to ask the Manager, Why have you got half a million bahts of new TVs that you never turn on?

what I found my self wondering, why is it only me who has noticed, isnt there another person who HAS A lOGICAL BRAIN in here.

has no one wondered why they are not on.

Why buy them if they wont turn them on?

I have recently noticed that it has become trendy for every thai company,office,shop,Bank etc etc to have a large LCD tv installed on the wall and then NEVER TURN IT ON!!

TOT (new office south pattaya road) has aprox 12 expensive new LCD TV screens that are always OFF)

Pattaya Imigration Soi 5 Jomtien, also has LCD TVS OFF, and public computers for free internet also OFF and free water bottle despenser with NO CUPS.

Some shops in the phone section (second floor Tukom) have now put expensive LCDs in. yes, youve guessed it. always OFF

take a look your self you will see this Phenomena everywhere in Thai owned places,

I was in TOT last week, I really wanted to ask the Manager, Why have you got half a million bahts of new TVs that you never turn on?

what I found my self wondering, why is it only me who has noticed, isnt there another person who HAS A lOGICAL BRAIN in here.

They are trying to be green mate. The fact that they can afford this many TV's gains them enough face without actually turning them on. :o

Most places they are real LCD-TVs but after management recieves the electric bill they usually order the staff to turn it off. Of cause we all know that a LCD-TV almost uses no electricity compared to aircons, but in the mind of most Thais this is a real power eater.

And electricity really is getting expencive here - in our office we pay a monthly bill of 21,500 THB for an office of 18 people with computers, lights and 3 large aircon units (new Fuji Aircons with energysaving). To me thats way way too much for a country like Thailand.

I have seen "fake" LCDs thou - you can buy plastic copies of LCD TVs that look 99% like the real thing. They are supposed to be used in showrooms for houses and condos, but some people put it in their shop for "show-off" (says my assistant)

Well I personally hope this trend continues.. Hopefully then it will spead to that big useless LCD 'telly' above the entrance to Walking St and to the numerous other screens popping up all over town courtesy of ''Narrowcasting'' :D ... They won't be happy to the place is a blaze of annoying screen promoting <deleted> that nobody wants.. usually more pointless businesses that aren't needed run by no-hopers who can't afford to stay here and are attmpting to 'live the dream' :o until their money runs out.. Of course while they are doing this they are bug*ering the lifestyle of the people who liked Pattaya as it was...

end of rant :D back to topic... Wouldn't it be better if TOT spent cash on improving their service rather than frivoulous 'telly's' :D

The more LCD Tv's that are purchased the lower the price. The price now is about 50% less than a year ago, and the average thai family can now afford one. Where I live in Korat all the Thais have LCD Tv's. Big ones too. Of course in Pattaya where no one really works that's probably a different story.

Barry

The more LCD Tv's that are purchased the lower the price. The price now is about 50% less than a year ago, and the average thai family can now afford one. Where I live in Korat all the Thais have LCD Tv's. Big ones too. Of course in Pattaya where no one really works that's probably a different story.

Barry

I think they got them sponsored by the manufacturors of the LCD TV. Remember: There are all puplic places and Locals are crazy about all this electronic "made in china" toys. So if consumers see for example: A sony at every puplic places they will buy a sony (just example) because this works like a advertising trick. In my opinion: Why buy a LCD to see the horrible Quaility of Sophon Cable?

Barry

Are you sure there is only 1 Thailand and we both live in the same one?

Well I personally hope this trend continues.. Hopefully then it will spead to that big useless LCD 'telly' above the entrance to Walking St and to the numerous other screens popping up all over town courtesy of ''Narrowcasting'' :o ... They won't be happy to the place is a blaze of annoying screen promoting <deleted> that nobody wants.. the people who liked Pattaya as it was...

I certainly disagree with that. The LCD "telly" above the entrance to Walking Street is not useless. It adds a lot to the atmosphere of Walking Street and was a brilliant addition to the streetscape.

The same for some other strategically placed LCD's around 2nd Road and Beach Road. This is a party town and these all add to the flavour of this town. There are plenty of quiet areas for the quiet types, but I wonder why you came to Pattaya in the first place.

It's for the same reason that Thais put their refrigerators in the living room - so people who come to visit see it, and see that they are affluent. Thais, you see are insecure about wealth, so if they have anything that can give people the illusion that they are wealthy, they will flaunt it. Same with the LCD or Plasma TV. These businesses don't really need them, but they want them to be seen so it appears they run a successful business.

Edited by Hobgoblin

big tvs are promoting somthing as a rule, advertising somthing, normally aimed at farangs so no interest to thais whatsoever, so staff dont like to switch em on, whoever you turn on thai tv, all staff stop work and stare!!! so boss says NO thai tv, only for falang, so no tv is on!

chris

Barry

Are you sure there is only 1 Thailand and we both live in the same one?

Are you sure there is only 1 Pattaya and we both live in the same one?

Well I personally hope this trend continues.. Hopefully then it will spead to that big useless LCD 'telly' above the entrance to Walking St and to the numerous other screens popping up all over town courtesy of ''Narrowcasting'' :D ... They won't be happy to the place is a blaze of annoying screen promoting <deleted> that nobody wants.. the people who liked Pattaya as it was...

I certainly disagree with that. The LCD "telly" above the entrance to Walking Street is not useless. It adds a lot to the atmosphere of Walking Street and was a brilliant addition to the streetscape.

The same for some other strategically placed LCD's around 2nd Road and Beach Road. This is a party town and these all add to the flavour of this town. There are plenty of quiet areas for the quiet types, but I wonder why you came to Pattaya in the first place.

Yeah.. guess you are right... Adverts for handphones and other electronics devices on the WS display really add to the 'atmosphere' of Pattaya... :o:D

No need to wonder why I came to Pattaya.. It was an ideal base for me to work from.. great nitelife, close to BKK, not overly touristed with families and kids cos of it's reputation, better value and better attitude than BKK and Phuket. Oh and it didn't have any LCD displays. But like everywhere it has changed in 20 years.. Not always for the better... Bring back the simple WS sign... much better IMHO and less likely to break down.. I enjoy the nightlife and atmosphere here but all the desperate gotta start a business, I can make it a better place types should bu**er off as Pattaya does't need 'improving'

I bet you take issue with people who don't stand around on their lawns as well.

:o

Well I personally hope this trend continues.. Hopefully then it will spead to that big useless LCD 'telly' above the entrance to Walking St and to the numerous other screens popping up all over town courtesy of ''Narrowcasting'' :D ... They won't be happy to the place is a blaze of annoying screen promoting <deleted> that nobody wants.. the people who liked Pattaya as it was...

Yeah.. guess you are right... Adverts for handphones and other electronics devices on the WS display really add to the 'atmosphere' of Pattaya... :o:D

No need to wonder why I came to Pattaya.. It was an ideal base for me to work from.. great nitelife, close to BKK, not overly touristed with families and kids cos of it's reputation, better value and better attitude than BKK and Phuket. Oh and it didn't have any LCD displays. But like everywhere it has changed in 20 years.. Not always for the better... Bring back the simple WS sign... much better IMHO and less likely to break down.. I enjoy the nightlife and atmosphere here but all the desperate gotta start a business, I can make it a better place types should bu**er off as Pattaya does't need 'improving'

I get it, you've been here a long time and dream of the old days. It's all relative isn't it. I'm sure there are a few older residents who wish this was still just a quiet little Thai fishing village as it was in the 60's before the Americans first came here.

Neon signs and LCD displays add colour to the night. I wouldn't think that many people actually watch them.

As I said, they add to the atmosphere.