Motorbike

jonboy

Hi all , ive been looking now at both the CBR150R and the Phantom.Both nice bikes but the Phantom has a bit more character.Ive now saved up some money and can almost afford to buy one(second hand at moment).Since ive been looking out for them on the street ive noticed a few more similar bikes...a steed and a kawasaki(dont know the model....am I right in thinking its a Boss?).What do you guys think about these(and others) and are they still in the same price range as a Phantom?Same cc?etc etc.

Maybe my memory is wrong but a while back whilst looking in the shops a Phantom is 85,000 and the Boss is 65,000.If this is right is there any reason to pay the extra 20,000?

Also is there any major differences in the Phantom 150cc 175cc and 200cc apart from the engine sizes?

Off to try to get my Thai driving licience now.

P.s. still looking for second hand Phantom(or similar chopper) etc if anyone knows of one.

Which is the best classified website for bkk(maybe even pattaya)

Thanks again boys

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a phantom 200 a while back, they are really nice bikes, well built, balanced and sturdy.

Out of the choice I'd go for the phantom 200.

the difference is the 200 is a 4 stroke engine, air cooled with electric start.

the 150 phantom is a 2 stroke (not the right engine or sound for the type of bike) and it is water cooled with a kick starter.

The kawasaki boss is a 175.

GO FOR THE 200 PHANTOM, trust me.

Honda steeds are 400 or 600 cc, all imported, some good, some bad with dodgy books.

All the other bikes are made in thailand and parts are available off the shelf.

A secondhand 200 phantom should cost aroung 50000bht.

ps

I've got a 1400 for sale if interested.

The best website I've come across is this one.

http://www.mocyc.com/store/

Sadly it's in Thai so you'll need someone to help you with it.

I picked up a nice 400 Honda Transalp for 50k that was being sold privately. Later I saw that the guy had advertised it on this site too.

Other Transalps that I'd priced up in the shops were older and had more mileage, yet they were selling for near 200,000baht.

So you can get some bargains if you look and wait awhile because the site is fairly active and has new ads everyday.

Good Luck.

I had a phantom 200 a while back, they are really nice bikes, well built, balanced and sturdy.

Out of the choice I'd go for the phantom 200.

the difference is the 200 is a 4 stroke engine, air cooled with electric start.

the 150 phantom is a 2 stroke (not the right engine or sound for the type of bike) and it is water cooled with a kick starter.

The kawasaki boss is a 175.

GO FOR THE 200 PHANTOM, trust me.

Honda steeds are 400 or 600 cc, all imported, some good, some bad with dodgy books.

All the other bikes are made in thailand and parts are available off the shelf.

A secondhand 200 phantom should cost aroung 50000bht.

ps

I've got a 1400 for sale if interested.

Dave

I've been thinking of getting a new bike and was considering either a boss or phantom. I want a newone, not second hand.

What sort of performance did you get from your phantom?

What sort of money are you looking at new?

Are they comfortable enough for the occasional trip of say 300km?

How far can you get on a tankfull.

Thanks

Im not disagreeing with you Dave but isn't the boss 175 also a 4 stroke and electric start? Just thinking of my pennis as brand new is more than 20,000 baht less. Is there any real reason you say this that I need to concider?

Brew.If you have one for sale, can you give more details eg,year ,condition,number of bumps :-) ,colour,your location ,PRICE,reason for sale etc etc

Thanks

Im not disagreeing with you Dave but isn't the boss 175 also a 4 stroke and electric start? Just thinking of my pennis as brand new is more than 20,000 baht less. Is there any real reason you say this that I need to concider?

Brew.If you have one for sale, can you give more details eg,year ,condition,number of bumps :-) ,colour,your location ,PRICE,reason for sale etc etc

Thanks

It certainly is :D If you look at the 200 phantom and the boss together you will see although the boss is a good bike the phantom looks and feels nicer.

I used to get 100+kmh with no problem out of the phantom, the only snag with the 200 phantom is no fuel guage.

But what the heck, who needs a fuel guage. :o

I just bought a new Phantom about three weeks ago, and so far I love it... Paid 85500 for the bike, reg. insurance, registration/plate and they threw in a couple of cheap helmets... I opted to ad the Crash bars at 2300 baht and #1 insurance for another 2100 for the first year...

I looked at and rode a used Boss and a used Phantom... Used Boss was 40,000 and the used Phantom was 65,000... In the end decided that for the additional 20,000 baht, new would be better... You can really tell the difference between the 175cc Boss and the 200cc Phantom when you ride them... Both will have no problem doing 100 to 120 kph on the road, but the Phantom still has just a little more left to help get you out of trouble if you need it... Plus I found the riding position a little more comfortable on the Phantom...

My only complaint would be... Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Owners Manual in English????

Pianoman

I've had a 2nd hand 150 Phantom for a year now, cost 40k in Bangkok. I picked up the water-cooled 2 stroke cos it has more acceleration for zipping in and out of traffic and doesn't get hot like the air-cooled bikes can when sitting in traffic. Went around South Thailand on it for about 3 weeks - 2,500 km - and only had a rear puncture outside Chumpon. Ride it every day and never had a problem. It's fine and is a good workhorse. Cruises happily at 120 no problem, 110 two up. Longest continuous ride was in the rain from Ranong to Bangkok, perfect.

Sure it doesn't have the 4 stroke sound, but then the Boss and 200 Phantom don't exactly make that serious thudding burp with stock pipes either! Rode both in the past, and thought the Boss didn't quite look as flowing as the Honda. The Phantoms have disc brakes front and back too, while the Boss has a rear drum.

You could consider getting a Virago 250 or 400, if you're okay with Yamaha, cos they are V-twins, air-cooled four strokes and ride nicely too. Better sound with them, and you should be able to get em for about 50-80k 2nd hand. Mate has one and he's fine with it. My twopenneth for what it's worth... B)

I don't know about this 'pennis' word here in Thailand. Just yesterday, during the parents' meeting, one of the mothers of my 12 or 13 year old boys said that her son had two operations. My boss translated that one was for an artery in the neck (carotid, probably) and the other operation was to the boy's 'pennis.'

Chopper style gas tanks don't tend to slap you in the crotch on hard stops as badly as the sportsbikes do. Once in Houston I was distracted by a very attractive young adult body and bumped the car in front of me at about 8 miles per hour. Ouch!

Hi all , ive been looking now at both the CBR150R and the Phantom.Both nice bikes but the Phantom has a bit more character.Ive now saved up some money and can almost afford to buy one(second hand at moment).Since ive been looking out for them on the street ive noticed a few more similar bikes...a steed and a kawasaki(dont know the model....am I right in thinking its a Boss?).What do you guys think about these(and others) and are they still in the same price range as a Phantom?Same cc?etc etc.

Maybe my memory is wrong but a while back whilst looking in the shops a Phantom is 85,000 and the Boss is 65,000.If this is right is there any reason to pay the extra 20,000?

Also is there any major differences in the Phantom 150cc 175cc and 200cc apart from the engine sizes?

Off to try to get my Thai driving licience now.

P.s. still looking for second hand Phantom(or similar chopper) etc if anyone knows of one.

Which is the best classified website for bkk(maybe even pattaya)

Thanks again boys

Choppers 150cc ??????????? : :o

Thanks again everyone.

My next problem (I now have my Thai driving licience for both car and motorbike)is that when i went to 2 differentbike shops(just out of curiosity)I was told that unless I have a work permit that I couldn't have the bike registered in my name?? I'm sure I read somewhere that this isn't true.I want to buy second hand anyway but I don't want to cause the person i'm buying from lots of falang problems when we go to change the name over.

I have...

Passport

non imm b visa

thai driving licience

letter off police station stating my address is correct

letter off british embassy stating that my address is correct(1,600 baht)

At the shop the girls say this isnt enough?? Is that correct or are they a little thick?

:o

Thanks again everyone.

I have...

Passport

non imm b visa

thai driving licience

letter off police station stating my address is correct

letter off british embassy stating that my address is correct(1,600 baht)

At the shop the girls say this isnt enough?? Is that correct or are they a little thick?

:o

They're thick as pig shit or they haven't had a farang buy a bike from their shop before. You've got the necessary documents so keep trying the shops until you find one that says it's ok.

Thanks again boys

You naughty snotty! Where do you think to get the right to call me a 'boy'? Yes I know a Phantom for sale. An acquaintance used it to drive himself to heaven or ######, I don't know. I can ask his widow how much she wants for it. The bike was hardly damaged. He himself was actually driven into two pieces. It took hours to scratch his remains from the pick-up that robbed him from his dreams.

By a real bike or a Honda Dream or Yamaha Fresh. There are too many of these senior farang with Easy Rider looks, sitting on these moving toilets, dreaming of being a real rider. Look at yourself in a mirror!!!

Don't ridiculise yourself by buying a cheap copy of the bike you wanted to have forty years ago!

If you have an O type visa you can put the bike in your name.

I have had both the 200 and the 150 Phantom, both are excellent bike but much different rides. The 150 is an amazing performance bike I have seen 160 on it, the 200 topped out at 130. I have cruised the 150 at that speed Chaing Mia to Udon straight through. Never again the bike held up good I didn't.

You won't find any new 150's they are not made anymore.

Why the Phantoms they are made in Thailand, they can be services anywhere parts are readily available. I have a 750 Yamaha that I rebuilt for long rides. I still take the 150, because if something goes wrong, I can get it fixed anywhere fro very little money.

I sold the 200, just prefer the 150's performance. You can find them just about anywhere, even used you can completly rebuild it in a matter of a few days for less the 10K baht and never turn a wrench yourself.

As to the easy rider comment, bikes just make more since in this country, I can assure you I can get a parking space when cars can't.

A word of caution bikes are dangerous anywhere, more so here. Wear the helmet ride defencenivley. I may ride fast from time to time but most of the time I don't and only when road conditions allow it. I have ridden here for two years now and no accidents. But I am careful, always looking fro a place to go when things go bad. This has included off roading to avoid trucks pulling out in front of me, knowing I was there. Cars will intentionally pull into you, be prepared for it. Never cheat the lights, not even starting out make sure the intersection is clear, not that you have green light. Thia' cheat the lights all the time, if they got a car yuo got a bike you lose.

You will have cars and bikes coming headon at you on the wrong side of the street, at nihgt with no lights, be ready for it always have an escape plan, sometimes you just can't stop fast enough.

You will have dogs cattle and sometimes elephants sharing the road with you, any of them can put you down, be ready.

Country roads can go from being good road to major pot holes in a few feet.

Once you have adjusted to all this and learned how to ride here. It is fantastic, there is so much to see here, there are amazing little villages all over the country and people are just great to you.

We went on the Issan Honda safety ride two years in a row now, met some great people farrang and Thia, have fun with it.

Ethier Phantom will serve you well

A word of caution bikes are dangerous anywhere, more so here. Wear the helmet ride defencenivley. I may ride fast from time to time but most of the time I don't and only when road conditions allow it. I have ridden here for two years now and no accidents. But I am careful, always looking fro a place to go when things go bad. This has included off roading to avoid trucks pulling out in front of me, knowing I was there. Cars will intentionally pull into you, be prepared for it. Never cheat the lights, not even starting out make sure the intersection is clear, not that you have green light. Thia' cheat the lights all the time, if they got a car yuo got a bike you lose.

Be careful, Today I was at a friends funeral in Pattaya after he had his head run over by a tour bus. :o

Weirdo!

Yes you are absolutely right. But you could have said it in a more pleasant way.

I sold my last chopper probably around the time you were born, about 1970.

A Thriumph Bonneville 650 cc with the front wheel halve a mile ahead and a genuine HD back wheel (of which I was very proud at that time).

For the village I use a Yamaha Fresh 105 cc now and for the mountains a Yamaha Serow 225 cc. The town I enter by car, because my barber has forbidden me to wear a helmet and I also want to keep my part in he middle.

My friend and neighbour has a HD with a 2000 cc S&S engine. He went down three weeks ago. He saved probably the life of the old lady who crossed the road. The wounds are healing and he can use his arm for more than fifty percent now.

I almost bought a Yamaha Virago 400 cc a while ago. But fear got me.

The last three years I lost two friends here in Thailand. AFFA!

Snotty brat! :o

Weirdo!

Yes you are absolutely right. But you could have said it in a more pleasant way.

I sold my last chopper probably around the time you were born, about 1970.

A Thriumph Bonneville 650 cc with the front wheel halve a mile ahead and a genuine HD back wheel (of which I was very proud at that time).

For the village I use a Yamaha Fresh 105 cc now and for the mountains a Yamaha Serow 225 cc. The town I enter by car, because my barber has forbidden me to wear a helmet and I also want to keep my part in he middle.

My friend and neighbour has a HD with a 2000 cc S&S engine. He went down three weeks ago. He saved probably the life of the old lady who crossed the road. The wounds are healing and he can use his arm for more than fifty percent now.

I almost bought a Yamaha Virago 400 cc a while ago. But fear got me.

The last three years I lost two friends here in Thailand. AFFA!

Snotty brat! :o

That maybe so but whats wrong with him wanting a phantom or whatever?

That maybe so but whats wrong with him wanting a phantom or whatever?

... was the questions fatherly asked by Davethailand and my answer only can be:

Absolutely nothing and when I say absolutely nothing, I mean absolutely nothing.

If he wants one made of chocolate, let him have one of chocolate.

To-day is Fatherday and to-morrow Saint Nicolaus. I am very generous, you got me on the right moment :o

Boyjohn, enjoy your ride. Brrrrrrm! :D

We went on the Issan Honda safety ride two years in a row now, met some great people farrang and Thia, have fun with it.

What is this? Never heard of it. Have you any more details please? Thanks

Dear Loong,

These rides are organised by regional Honda dealerships. Sometimes you have to stay overnight, mostly in a beautiful place in nature. They have music, food and other entertainment (sleeping in a tent?), they promote the brand a little bit, but it is a very nice thing to do (sorry Sir, I don't remember the name of the person who recommended it).

It is a good feeling to enjoy something together with Thai people. For a day or so, even if you are remembered often about it, strange enough it seems that you are just a human being among other human beings. Because you enjoy the same things. In a way you are not a farang anymore, but a Thai-farang or Farang-thai.

The people will love you and think 'hey, that farang is almost the same as we are".

Do it!