I have been wanting to post this for a while but had I done so duing my destitute days in Phuket then I would have drowned in an avalance of 'Go home Scampy' comments.

It's only 1,600 U.K. pounds and I've paid most of it off already, before I came out here.

I could pay the rest off with the job I have now but to be perfectly honest, I'd rather spend the money on myself than give it to the credit company that made so much effort to get me to sign up, knowing full well that I was a 'high risker' and that they would be able to make money from me with their unreasonable interest rates, that said, I know, I know, they didn't MAKE me get a credit card.

Anyway, my brother reckons that it is in my interest to pay it off because they could get their hands on my future inheritance if I don't.

Another expat was in the same boat as me, only he owed about 8,000... After a few years they finally tracked him down to Thailand and made contact with him and asked him to pay up. He told them to piss off and they did and didn't bother him again.

There are two arguments here - one is that I made my bed and I should lie in it and not make the same mistake again.

The other is that I am not paying it because I need to survive and, just like animals, I will do what I can to survive though, unlike animals, I would and have paid back any personal debts... This however is just a super rich corporation trying to squeeze blood out of the little guy and I have more important things to spend a grand and a half on - a lot of money out here.

Regardless of what is deemed right or wrong or what you would or wouldn't do, what exactly is the score here?

Thankyou.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop trying to justify not paying.

Having said that, tell 'em to **** off, or better still, don't tell 'em anything.

Having having said that, it's only 1600 quid. Pay it off for your peace of mind.

Having having having said that, why send 1600 quid for them to drop it into their cash ocean when you could spend it on yourself/family/loved ones/beer and whores.

I wouldn't get yourself in a twist. Your debt is puny compared to others, including mine.

Stop trying to justify not paying.

Having said that, tell 'em to **** off, or better still, don't tell 'em anything.

Having having said that, it's only 1600 quid. Pay it off for your peace of mind.

Having having having said that, why send 1600 quid for them to drop it into their cash ocean when you could spend it on yourself/family/loved ones/beer and whores.

I wouldn't get yourself in a twist. Your debt is puny compared to others, including mine.

..having said that, do you really want this hanging over your head for the rest of your life, not knowing if the next time you set foot in your mother country a very polite uniformed gentleman - not a scamp - will ask you to "kindly step this way, sir"?

Or you could tell 'em to sod off.

I wouldn't. Negotiate a payment plan :o

The debts probably been written off by now, if it hasnt you can wait the customary 7 years and it will be written off by then.

A good friend of mine worked in a debt collecting agency back in blighty (dont hold that against him tho :o) he told me that most debts get written off within a year or two if they cant make contact with the person who owes...

The debts probably been written off by now, if it hasnt you can wait the customary 7 years and it will be written off by then.

A good friend of mine worked in a debt collecting agency back in blighty (dont hold that against him tho :o) he told me that most debts get written off within a year or two if they cant make contact with the person who owes...

Interesting Wolfie, where do the 7 years come into it, on another thread, I got the idea that the debt is there for all time in the UK.

More info?

Cheers.

Its something to do with Tax laws, no exactly clear the connection myself.

Oh, and for those that didnt know already, its not actually a crime to owe money in England, therefore there wont be any "collar-feeling" by the local bobby at the airport. They abolished that law a few hundred years ago (used to have debtors prisons)

A good friend of mine worked in a debt collecting agency back in blighty (dont hold that against him tho :D) he told me that most debts get written off within a year or two if they cant make contact with the person who owes...

But there'll still be little pins in your credit doll. :o

You'll be doing yourself a favor not to fight the big money machine. Good credit is easier to maintain than to regain. Just because they can't get to you know doesn't mean they can't get to you later. The world is getting smaller. There's peace pf mind and pride in "cleaning up after yourself" as well. :D

Scampy.........in a previous life i used to work for one of the high street banks on the collections side , debt collecting and skip tracing. What happens is that for the first couple of months after you disappear your account is worked intensively i.e contacting relatives ,neighbours etc. After this your account is "dug out" every 3 months to see if any new leads can be gained, this lasts for 1 to 2 years depending how hopeful/hopeless your account looks..........after all leads are exhausted the account is written off to bad debt. Depending on how large the amount is and how widespread the company is across the world they could send the account over here for collection if they discover you are here. If you have not contacted the company for a while they will of already registered a default against your name thereby making it difficult for you to obtain credit if and when you return to Blighty. It really comes down to you.........if they have reg'd a default already youve nothing to gain by paying them other than peace of mind.

Scampy.........in  a  previous  life  i  used  to  work  for  one  of  the  high  street  banks  on  the  collections  side , debt  collecting  and  skip  tracing. What  happens  is  that  for  the  first  couple  of  months  after  you  disappear  your  account  is  worked  intensively  i.e  contacting  relatives  ,neighbours  etc. After  this  your  account  is  "dug  out"  every  3  months  to  see  if  any  new  leads  can  be  gained, this  lasts  for  1  to  2  years  depending  how  hopeful/hopeless  your  account  looks..........after  all  leads  are  exhausted  the  account  is  written  off  to  bad  debt. Depending  on  how  large  the  amount  is  and  how  widespread  the  company  is  across  the  world  they  could  send  the  account  over  here  for  collection  if  they  discover  you  are  here. If  you  have  not  contacted  the  company  for  a  while  they  will  of  already  registered  a  default  against  your  name  thereby  making  it  difficult  for  you  to  obtain  credit  if  and  when  you  return  to  Blighty. It  really  comes  down  to  you.........if  they  have  reg'd  a  default  already  youve  nothing  to  gain  by  paying  them  other  than  peace  of  mind.

And I suppose peace of mind is defined as not only protecting your credit rating but doing the honourable thing.Not sure why it's such a big issue since the sum is so small:surely this underlines the sense of paying the amount off.Oh and by the way don't comfort yourself that evasion is justified because you are dealing with a large,wealthy corporation.Usually banks in the West are ultimately owned by millions of small shareholders, directly but more usually through pension funds.I can't really see the difference between ignoring this debt and simple theft.

Scampy.........in  a  previous  life  i  used   to  work  for  one  of  the  high  street  banks  on  the  collections  side , debt  collecting  and  skip  tracing. What  happens  is  that  for  the  first  couple  of  months  after  you  disappear  your  account  is  worked  intensively  i.e  contacting  relatives  ,neighbours  etc. After  this  your  account  is  "dug  out"  every  3  months  to  see  if  any  new  leads  can  be  gained, this  lasts  for  1  to  2  years  depending  how  hopeful/hopeless  your  account  looks..........after  all  leads  are  exhausted  the  account  is  written  off  to  bad  debt. Depending  on  how  large  the  amount  is  and  how  widespread  the  company  is  across  the  world  they  could  send  the  account  over  here  for  collection  if  they  discover  you  are  here. If  you  have  not  contacted  the  company  for  a  while  they  will  of  already  registered  a  default  against  your  name  thereby  making  it  difficult  for  you  to  obtain  credit  if  and  when  you  return  to  Blighty. It  really  comes  down  to  you.........if  they  have  reg'd  a  default  already  youve  nothing  to  gain  by  paying  them  other  than  peace  of  mind.

And I suppose peace of mind is defined as not only protecting your credit rating but doing the honourable thing.Not sure why it's such a big issue since the sum is so small:surely this underlines the sense of paying the amount off.Oh and by the way don't comfort yourself that evasion is justified because you are dealing with a large,wealthy corporation.Usually banks in the West are ultimately owned by millions of small shareholders, directly but more usually through pension funds.I can't really see the difference between ignoring this debt and simple theft.

Fair point Boris, however, those millions of small shareholders are also guilty of the shark practices of the corporation. :o

Scampy, Do you think that you will stay in LOS for ever? If the answers no, then pay the debt back, one day you might want to return to blighty & being refused a mortgage or rental contract could make life really miserable, say if you marry & want to go back to build a nest egg for a few years. As you say it's not a lot of money but you borrowed it & paying it back is the right thing to do regardless of whether you owe it to a mate or a company, it's still "somebodies" money.

Scampy.........in  a  previous  life  i  used  to  work  for  one  of  the  high  street  banks  on  the  collections  side , debt  collecting  and  skip  tracing. What  happens  is  that  for  the  first  couple  of  months  after  you  disappear  your  account  is  worked  intensively  i.e  contacting  relatives  ,neighbours  etc. After  this  your  account  is  "dug  out"  every  3  months  to  see  if  any  new  leads  can  be  gained, this  lasts  for  1  to  2  years  depending  how  hopeful/hopeless  your  account  looks..........after  all  leads  are  exhausted  the  account  is  written  off  to  bad  debt. Depending  on  how  large  the  amount  is  and  how  widespread  the  company  is  across  the  world  they  could  send  the  account  over  here  for  collection  if  they  discover  you  are  here. If  you  have  not  contacted  the  company  for  a  while  they  will  of  already  registered  a  default  against  your  name  thereby  making  it  difficult  for  you  to  obtain  credit  if  and  when  you  return  to  Blighty. It  really  comes  down  to  you.........if  they  have  reg'd  a  default  already  youve  nothing  to  gain  by  paying  them  other  than  peace  of  mind.

I recall reading in another posting that someone wanted to get off with about £200,000 - is the procedure the same for £200k as it is for £1600 ?

Surely, for 200k they would not just write off the debt, and they would take stronger action ?

This is exactly how it is in belgium also with one difference...

Is the debt to a commercial company or to the governement ?

A commercial company will write it off as a loss.

A bank will put you on a black list and try to collect every three months, is called here a "continuex dossier" = continous file

The governement won't bother with tracking you donw but will systematically increase the intrest on it until it becomes so large that they can put you in jail. These amounts are never written off...

They bloody well know that you can't stay hidden forever and will return for a funeral of a relative for example.

The governement has all the time in the world.. they may even catch you if you need to renew your passport.

They won't send a person to investigate or catch you in thailand unless the amount goes over the million euro probably.

I recall reading in another posting that someone wanted to get off with about £200,000 - is the procedure the same for £200k as it is for £1600 ?

Surely, for 200k they would not just write off the debt, and they would take stronger action ?

Ive no doubt a debt of that size would be secured against assets so if you disappeared the asset would be repossessed and sold to recover the debt. Another thing is......in the UK if you fall out of work the company will ask for nominal payments to keep the account from going to bad debt as any payment applied to the account stops the process...they do this in the hope you will find employment and they can recommence normal payments.

Paying or not paying on the moral side, I leave to you.

On the business side, the amount is so small as no business will hold it on the books for long and certainly won't spend any money trying to collect it.

In the event you return and are faced with using credit again, the write off might appear. However, you will merely be asked to explain what happened.

Whether your granted credit at that time will most certainly depend on your credit worthyness at that time, the prior bad debt being ony one of the factors considered. Worst case scenario is you will have to "shop around" for credit, perhaps paying a quarter to a half point more interest due to your increased "risk" profile. After ten years, I doubt the reporting services will still be carrying the write off, and even if they haven't, there is always some business looking to lend money.

The seven years mentioned previously, may well be the seven years in which one in the U.S. can't declare bankruptcy again. Thus many credit card companies look for recent bankrupts to lend money to as the borrow can't eliminate the debt though bankrupcy for seven years.

A good friend of mine worked in a debt collecting agency back in blighty (dont hold that against him tho :D) he told me that most debts get written off within a year or two if they cant make contact with the person who owes...

Interesting Wolfie, where do the 7 years come into it, on another thread, I got the idea that the debt is there for all time in the UK.

More info?

Cheers.

All credit companies are actually underwritten by the exchequer, If a uk citizen does not pay after 7 years good old gordon pays up. Not exactly moral but tell em to stick it scamp, your credit rating won't really be affected that badly and there are ways to rebuild it. Screw the banks they make enough profit anyway.

Don't worry about it there is not a lot to they can do. Even if they catch up with you it is immpossible for them to take you to court or seize your goods as long as you make any offer of monthly payment, no matter how small. :o

company will ask for nominal payments to keep the account from going to bad debt as any payment applied to the account stops the process...they do

I have a small outstanding dept of £1200 wit a bank/credit card which I refused to "honour"because of a number of issues which I disputed but at all times maintained communication with them.(could pay but its the principal ..innit)

Important to keep up a dialogue. :D

Tell them you are on your Uppers,the wifes ran off with the local milkman/priest/

Thai travel agent.The companys gone bust and you are way behind on your mortgage,tee-ruk,church roof restoration contributions/payments...calling from a phone box since you had to flog your mobile,T.V and computer to pay off ..whatever :D ...But dont ignore.

The bank in question finally suggested a repayment "deal" of £5 a week for 5 years with NO Interest charges..ie only the o/s amount,and that applies to any additional top up to reduce.

I hummed and hawed but finally relented and agreed.

They have since invited me to "take"another C.C.with them :o:D:D

Even if they catch up with you it is immpossible for them to take you to court or seize your goods as long as you make any offer of monthly payment, no matter how small. :o

They can still take you to court if the offer is not acceptable to them ( creditor/collector) but as long as you have completed an expenditure form , detailing income minus spending = disposable sum each month , the court will order you to pay that amount each month( plus court costs)

Seizure of goods only applies to Priority debts(ctax,fuel,secured loans,HP)

Is this a credit debt Scamp?

If you were to talk to Equifax or Experian the two leading credit referance agencys in the UK, they will tell you that they can only keep records on any person for the last 7 years.

Most lenders in UK will after trying to contact you without luck will then sell on the debt to a collection agency.

Now we are in the land of the real low lifes as many newspaper articles will testify to, they will commonly try and use bully boy tactics in the hope you will give in to the demands they will try and put on you.

You have to remember that these companies have paid the banks a small sum to buy your debt and make the money by recovering as much as possable.

No the UK goverment does not underwrite any of the major banks or credit companies loans i think maybe the person is confused with national savings in which the goverment cover any shortfall on the performance of interest.

If this was the case would we still not a Bearings bank, the one in which our own queen was a patron?????

Would the goverment of the day not levy a duty on all loans taken out by lenders, NO. one of the last people owned although the Thatcher goverment deemed otherwise was TSB who my wife worked for.

Her job, credit fraud detection for TSB Trustcard in Brighton.

Mike.

Part of being a man is taking responsibility for one's self.

Unless there is something dodgy, and this does not include them knowing you are "high risk", then you should make every attempt to pay off.

Ravisher is quite correct in that if you contact them they will work with you. This may or may not include: waiving interest, settlement on a portion of the principal, or clearing you of the debt entirely. Explain your situation Scamp, and for sure they will work with you, as so many point out that they have little recourse.

Make yourself right Scamp, and hold your head high.

Scampy- just pay them! It will avoid more hassles in the long run. I would ring them up and explain your current situation. If you can't pay the minimum renegotiate a payment plan with them- they will most likely agree because smth is better than nothing.

I do think you need to take responsibility- they certainly lived up to their end of the bargain and like others have said - you should protect your credit standing because it will create future problems for you especially when you need it.

Firstly, the amount you owe Scamp is so small, just pay it. If you repay a bad debt, your credit score will be incredible and you can borrow as much as you like... almost.(not recommended)

Since were being honest and sincere here, I can speak from experience regarding debt:-

I've had my ups and downs in my 33 years. Currently I'm at 20 percent from bottom, relative to where I want to be.

I amassed huge debts during my time in Hong Kong. This was a combination of factors including, but not limited to my naivity about a Thai woman I met there and my subsequent neglect of my work life, bank balance, self esteem....you know the story. Prior to that I was reasonably fiscally stable. Prior to that, around 10 years ago, I had big debts, run up through poll tax debts which I transferred to bank credit because you simply have to pay your poll tax (the government don't care about your circumstances, you simply have to pay or go to jail). Not through frivolous spending were my debts built up but through lack of work, the need to feed myself and pay the rent blah blah. I actually ended up on the street for a few weeks, I just kinda gave up, wondering what it was all for, working when I could find work but for a mere 36 pounds a day, got me nowhere.

Of course, the creditors came looking for me. I was young and inexperienced in life. The men they sent knocking on my door were intimidating and they frightened me. The phone calls were nasty and offensive and continuous.

As the years went by I learned about life and people and much about the country called England. I learned a lot about the laws for debt. Eventually I just moved away and managed to get some decent paid work and started a fresh. I never heard from them again. As far as I'm concerned, the debts are written off.

Currently, I owe 14,000 pounds to several different creditors. The moral preachers of you out can criticise me as much as you like... my creditors can go <deleted> themselves. I am not intimidated by the debt collectors tactics, I am familiar with them now, besides which they don't know where I am.

I recently saw an advertisement for a debt collectors position. It read that the applicant should have an 'imposing presence'.

These days, the debt is sold on to a collection agency within weeks of the default. The bank/CC company is happy. The collection agency will attemp to contact you once or twice, if unsuccessfull it will be sold on again and again, each time for less value untill it is so low it will be written off.

If I am immorral for because I am unwilling to pay a credit card debt, then so be it. I have loved ones I would rather spend my money on, besides which, I've had a hard life, made harder by irresponsible creditors taking advantage of me when I was younger and unable to manage, what were at the time, my limited finances.

In fact, I am in a position to pay off the debt but I will not. I will use my savings to set up home with my wife.

As an indication of how stupid and irresponsible these creditors are... in spite of my debt and a couple of county court judgements against me, I HAVE A GOLD BARCLAYCARD IN MY WALLET ISSUED LAST MONTH. I specifically told them to give me a zero credit limit because I only want the card to pay for stuff over the phone/online but they still issued a 5000 pound limit, so keen are they to put their customers in debt.

The Equifax/Experian ratings are a farce. In fact, one of the things that hindered me at the start of my adult life was the fact that I couldn't open a bank account... not because I had debt, I was completely debt free... but a relative with the same family name and initials as me had a CCJ. They simply assumed it was me. What a farce.

If you ignore your debts, the collectors they send for you have no teeth, just laugh at them and they'll go away to bully a single Mother for some money.

I hate the fact that I have debts. I hate the fact that they hindered the early part of my adult life.... but frankly, now I just don't give a shit. If you owe the government money, pay up or else. If you owe a bank money, up 2 you what you do. If you can pay it off, then you have self respect and the moral high ground. If you can't, I wouldn't worry about it.

Always repay a debt to a friend.

Scampy, Do you think that you will stay in LOS for ever? If the answers no, then pay the debt back, one day you might want to return to blighty & being refused a mortgage or rental contract could make life really miserable, say if you marry & want to go back to build a nest egg for a few years. As you say it's not a lot of money but you borrowed it & paying it back is the right thing to do regardless of whether you owe it to a mate or a company, it's still "somebodies" money.

Sound and sensitive advice Boo. In fact, the quantum of the debt is bugger all really. It'd be a pity to knacker your record for a paltry amount.

And we wonder why so many people have such a low opinion of guys who move their lives to Thailand.

How many times have I heard it said they are running away from problems at home.

I guess this is another fine example of not living upto one's responsibilities.

And does anyone believe that this attitude somehow disapears on arrival in Thailand, or is it not clear that this guy will do something similar in Thailand.

I can see it now 'Hi friend, you know I've got a bit of a problem right now (insert some longwinded excuse for the OP not having any cash and it being someone elses fault) You wouldn't lend me some cash would you, I'll see you right as soon as I sort out those @ssholes who are messing with my money.

Thailand - Where the worst of the west meets the worst of the east.

If you were faced with destitution, or an easy fix of credit to see you through, which would you choose.

Try life at the bottom, and then post your comments. I undersatnd consumer credit law is quite advanced in Holland, Mr Dutch.

However, I don't believe Scamp is at the bottom, and never has been and has the support of a loving family, despite whatever slant he may have previously put on it (Didn't think you got on with your brother, Scamp)... Pay it off.