I Want To Divorce A Thai National

Waveraiderfromoz

I wish i could say it is as easy as walking into the amphur with your divirce papers. i made this mistake some years ago and married (registered in amphur) well to make long story short i did get the divorce in my home country and took the papers with me back to amphur with thai translations and with thai person helping me several times. but they still would not log my divorce in the books (chiang mai). they tole me "she" has to come in and do it.

i would love to get this cleared up too so if any of you have info on how to please let me know.....

If you divorced in your home country, which I assume is America, the only time you need to go to the Amphur again is if you want to marry again.

Any country that divorces 'by procedure' it is recognised internationally.

If you do want to re-marry, you go to your Embassy with your divorce papers and a letter stating your personal details (name, dob, address etc) and making the claim that you are free to marry (it's called an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry for UK, and Affidavit for USA I think) The letter is then stamped by the Consul, you get it translated into Thai and Notorised at the MFA.

Once you have the Thai translation with the MFA stamps, no one in the Amphur cares if you have been married before.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will take it slowly this time, it just seems so un-fair what my ex-wife did to me, the trouble was, I trusted her 100%, and I was willing to give her everything I had, yes I was blinded by love (one sided I see ). I am sure they are not all like that, on the hole Thai people are very friendly, I love Thailand and I hope to retire there.

All the best :o