Bought A Condo

kilt

Hello all!

I'm very new to this site, but have garnered a lot of information in my short time lurking here.

I'm curious...

I bought a condo in Chiang Mai about a year ago. I was here working on a film for 6 months, made a lot of local friends and stumbled upon an awesome property near CM University.

I had a Thai friend help me with the purchase. I hired local lawyers to do a title search and I am in possession of the chanote.

A few weeks after the purchase I left Thailand. I am returning in a few weeks (on a tourist visa) to enjoy the city and possibly renovate the condo.

I'll be coming back to the USA in the new year sometime, but I am considering making Chiang Mai a part time residence in the future (within the next 10 years).

I have never "reported" to immigration or police. Reading posts here, I'm a little confused - Should I be reporting or filing anything with immigration with regards to my purchase?

Thanks much!

kilt

I don't think you need to report the purchase to anyone. If you come for a long period, you'll need a visa, and if it's one of the standard type visas you'll need to report to immigration every 90 days (type O) or leave the country every 90 days (type B without a work permit). That may be what you've read about here.

If you bought a condo you do not have a chanote to the best of my knowledge ... you should however, have a tabian baan (title) I think.

Strange as it may seem you do have a chanote with a condo purchase. The tabien baan can be applied for if you want but is not mandatory.

If you are going to stay long term then (I think) that you have to have the condo registered as your residence but the building managers may have done that on your behalf as part of the purchase process - check this bit out when / if you settle down for more than a few weeks a t a time.