Gay Thailand Holiday Banner?

huggybear

When you open The Phuket Forum there it is.

Why cannot it just read Thailand Holiday and then when clicked on have it mention that it is a gay hotel?

In the TV forum rules it says something about "sexual posts are not allowed". Does this banner not contradict the rules? I could understand if it were in the Gay Forum but why is it a header banner in the Phuket Forum?

I have nothing against gays, everybody is free to choose, I've just never understood why it needs to be announced.

Flamers flame away..............

BTW, the OPs logic we should also ban ads about honeymoons, singles dating services, etc where heterosexuality is blatantly "announced". The OP has nothing against gays? Yeah, you betcha.

I really don't and that's why I mentioned that I agree that people are free to choose.

Following your logic are you saying gay people don't do honeymoons and are not single? Why are those terms solely hetero?

Anyway..............only point I'm making is that I don't think that sexual preference is necessary in titles.

BTW, the OPs logic we should also ban ads about honeymoons, singles dating services, etc where heterosexuality is blatantly "announced". The OP has nothing against gays? Yeah, you betcha.

I really don't and that's why I mentioned that I agree that people are free to choose.

Following your logic are you saying gay people don't do honeymoons and are not single? Why are those terms solely hetero?

Anyway..............only point I'm making is that I don't think that sexual preference is necessary in titles.

The specific ads I saw here for singles and honeymoons were marketed to heterosexual matches, and quite blatantly at that. Sure, there are lots of gay singles, but if you aren't allowed to be married, that word becomes loaded. Gays who have been in couples for 30 years still must legally say they are single. I am sorry, but a person who is sincerely not bothered with gays would never have bothered to make that OP, in my opinion only.

Anyway, this really is a non-issue. Google just generates ads based on content. If they see Phuket, gay Phuket is perfectly relevant to the content.

Edited by Jingthing

I believe every time you open a subforum or a thread the google ads are different, or at least they change quite frequently.

Just now I got this one:

Meet The Beautiful

Ladyboys in Bangkok. Visit our websites now!

www. (URL removed)

Personally I don't care at all if they advertise for this or for real estate or whatever.

Edited by keestha

Hmmm, maybe the adbot crawlers know something about the demographics of TV viewers that some people don't? :o

Anyways, if the hotel says it's gay targeted, people that are creeped out by staying at a place with elderly males with their Thai toyboys, can go stay at a place that caters to elderly Thai males and their Thai girl rent a dates. :D

But seriously, there is a hospitality & services niche for the very profitable gay segment. There are a lot of classy gay people that like to travel to and to stay at places where they won't be gawked at. There are also quite a few women travelers that feel safer in a gay type of hotel as they don't have to worry about lecherous men.

There's a downside though. I stayed at a gay segment hotel in Malaysia where my girlfriend received several compliments as to her looks. It seems a couple of drunken oafs thought she was a he dressing up as a she. I found it funny, but she did not. I suppose it didn't help when I made a joke about her push up bra and its ability to convert little lumps into mounds of joy. :D It is a wise man that refrains from comments on the bosom of his girlfriend.

Edited by geriatrickid

Maybe you could leave your blatant anti-heterosexual hysteria in the Gay forum where it belongs.

Maybe you could leave your blatant anti-heterosexual hysteria in the Gay forum where it belongs.

You are joking, right? This topic which was rather anti-gay was brought up here. I just added the "fair and balanced" factor to it, yes? There was nothing anti-hetero about my comments, just pointing out some systematic blindness and hypocrist (from people who are offended that gay people and "blatant" gay business ads are too visible for their delicate stomachs).

Edited by Jingthing

You are joking, right? This topic which was rather anti-gay

absolutely not, you have read that in there. Again, (because obviously you are not getting the point) I just don't feel it's necessary to announce one's sexual preference in titles.

Otherwise, what.., we end up with:

The Bi Yin Dee Resort

Charlies Boys

Lesbian Living Resort

Gay Flavors Ice Cream

Hetero Holiday Inn

Androgenous Andaman Suites

Necessary?

absolutely not, you have read that in there. Again, (because obviously you are not getting the point) I just don't feel it's necessary to announce one's sexual preference in titles.

The Bi Yin Dee Resort

Charlies Boys

Lesbian Living Resort

Gay Flavors Ice Cream

Hetero Holiday Inn

Necessary?

I think all would be OK except for commercial sex establishments like Charlie's Boys which are of course verbotten on google ads, at least here. I guess you failed to learn anything from my commentary, that a heterosexual singles matching ad (which I did see here and have no objection to) is a heterosexuals only business, and nothing wrong with that. If it doesn't meet your interest, you bloody well don't click it, and that is the end of the story. And there is nothing wrong with a homosexually oriented business either advertising, but you seem to think there is. You have failed to convince me there is not an anti-gay bias in your complaint (gays are OK as long as its never in my face or on my screen). You have a right to that bias, but acting like you don't have it is a bit much.

Edited by Jingthing

Nah, it's better left in Rawai with the old folks like you SB :o

Revealing my age -- I was in the closet long enough to hand-stitch my entire wardrobe with needle and thread, in the dark. For centuries, Western civilization has been so hetero-focused that it was all focused up. But even my saintly 79 year old mother changed to the point of saying, on her death bed without bad spelling, "The food here is all focused up." She had even finally stopped sterotyping very successful gay people as anything but fairies.

Even Thailand is slightly hetero-focused. Mia noi is a well known term, but sammi noi is hardly mentioned. And how many thousand times has a Thai asked me, "Do you like Thai women?" They are not asking if I find them intellectual; it's more that they expect me to compliment them on them on having a bra cup barely half the size of my ex-wife.

It was probably 1997 when I first saw a billboard proudly advertising expensive cruises for gay men. The models were fully dressed, but you knew from the ad that it was a gay cruise. It took a few more years before I could walk down the street with my boyfriend in broad nightlight, in a gay area. As the Virginia slims cigarette ads once told women, "We've come a long way, baby."

If these comments are entirely off-topic, you're welcome. What do you expect in a resort that almost rhymes with fok-it?

Nah, it's better left in Rawai with the old folks like you SB :o

Meeeeoooooooow......phtt....phtt!

The Bi Yin Dee Resort

Charlies Boys

Lesbian Living Resort

Gay Flavors Ice Cream

Hetero Holiday Inn

Necessary?

(gays are OK as long as its never in my face or on my screen)

Where did I say this?

I just don't think it necessary to have sexual preference, gay, hetero, beastiality, whatever, in a title. "Gay Holiday Thailand" why can't we throw it open to all no matter sexual preference and have the banner read "Holiday Thailand"?

I guess it's too tough a point for some to understand without jumping on their soapboxes.

I just don't think it necessary to have sexual preference, gay, hetero, beastiality, whatever, in a title. "Gay Holiday Thailand" why can't we throw it open to all no matter sexual preference and have the banner read "Holiday Thailand"?

You are correct. It is not "necessary" for a hotel which is catering primarily to gays to use the word gay. However, as that is what their product is, they are doing everybody a favor by telling it like it is, and then the potential customers can decide to click or visit themselves, having more information. I have some experience with this issue. Once a travel agent sold me a Gay Greek Cruise, referring me to a brochure telling me about the Gay Greek Cruise. I booked the cruise because that is what I wanted, and I was traveling alone and I looked forward to not only the islands but a fun social time with like minded fellow travelers. I arrived on the ship. The only gay person was me! The other passengers were not my type at all and this was a very intimate little ship and I was stuck with them in very close quarters for 10 days. I made the most of it and I had every intention of suing the travel agent upon my return, but he had gone out of business and skipped town. Anyway, just because you don't believe people should label their sexuality, lots of other people do, and find it useful, and who are you to tell them they shouldn't, or can't?

BTW, tricky and clever of you to innocently add beastiality to your list, an old game of the anti-gay crowd, you are fooling nobody about where you are coming from!

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, tricky and clever of you to innocently add beastiality to your list, an old game of the anti-gay crowd, you are fooling nobody about where you are coming from!

just another example of you reading things in where there was no intention

When you open The Phuket Forum there it is.

Why cannot it just read Thailand Holiday and then when clicked on have it mention that it is a gay hotel?

In the TV forum rules it says something about "sexual posts are not allowed". Does this banner not contradict the rules? I could understand if it were in the Gay Forum but why is it a header banner in the Phuket Forum?

I have nothing against gays, everybody is free to choose, I've just never understood why it needs to be announced.

Flamers flame away..............

Your baiting is transparent ... and your lack of understanding is enormous! Thankfully the rest of us don't have to deal with petty bigotry in Thailand very often :o

My boyfriend, and his friend, used to work at a gay guest house. It is listed in the gay listings. But you and your latest gash-girl could go there and have a straight old time. They might suspect she is a katoey. There is a gay flag outside, I think. But there are hardly any heterophobes in the world. Godzilla spellcheck lists heterophobe as a mis-spelling. Being the target of terrible bigotry, we would not wish it upon anybody. You may poke any consenting adult whom you wish.

PB, I have met gays who are not comfortable among heterosexuals and some who are even abusive in language towards heterosexuals (and some of us are indeed misogynist and that is really wrong). These are mostly people who have lived in gay ghetto environments for many years. My example of the cruise gone wrong wasn't a matter of fear or hatred, it was a matter of not having the fun time I had paid for and expected. The thing is, when you are in a small minority, most studies say it is more like 2 or 3 percent of populations rather than 10 percent, you aren't really hurting anyone (except maybe yourself) if you are one of these rare heterophobes (you are right, this isn't really a word that is even used) because minorities that small really don't have any real power. For example, maybe someday gays will be able to marry in America under federal law but that will only happen if the majority which is almost all heterosexual allows that, but gays will never ever make heterosexual marriage illegal, now will they?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm thinking this topic should have a short shelf life, as it discussing sponsors, moderation, and seems to be getting very close to intolerance of a gay presence on the forum.

youre right IJWT. i think its had its 15 minutes of flame.

:o