Credibility Of Hospitals In Bangkok

lojoelol

Hello All

I plan to get a minor surgery done in either

Vibhavadi Hospital, 51/3 Ngamwongwan Rd. Jatujak Bangkok

or

St louis hospital in bangkok.

Are these two hospitals of good standard? Pls give me any feedback asap. Vibhavadi is less costly when compared to st louis i think.

Many thanks

l

The Thai wife of a friend of mine had major open heart surgery in St Louis many years ago. I believe the costs at that time were a lot cheaper than Singapore and about half price of Australian hospitals, with no waiting time. After the operation he told me the service in St Louis was excellent.

I believe she is still very healthy and has had no complications since the operation.

I hope this helps. Unfortunately I don't have recent information to pass on.

NL

I recently had surgery at Bumrungrad. I have nothing but good things to say about that place. Rooms are excellent, nursing service was excellent, and my Doctor was also excellent. I am recovering very well and am currently about 4 days ahead of where I should be with my physio.

I can also recommend BNH, but have had no stays or surgery there.

I don't know about the two hospitals you mention, but wish you good luck with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally use Bamrungrad myself and it's the best hospital I've ever been in. Despite some typically biased horror stories I've heard, there's ample evidence that the standard of medical care is better than most U.S. Hospitals.

The only conceivable downside in my opinion is that you can't sue them for vast sums of money if something goes wrong. This applies to all Thai hospitals -- even if you succeed in a malpractice suit, the damages will be small.

However my girlfriend doesn't have medical insurance so I was looking for a cheaper alternative when she became pregnant. In Bamrungrad and BNH a cesarean section can run to 150,000+ THB. Many friends recommended St. Louis but I was initially suspicious because of a visit I there 10 years ago when I had quite a lot of waiting around to do and the decor was a bit shabby.

I am happy to report that nowsdays the decor is as gleamingly marbled and new as any top end private hospital and there is even an "Au Bon Pain" inside the hospital itself. More importantly service was fast and prompt and even though we typically arrived late for the pre-natal checks we never had to wait around. The doctors were kind and professional and explained preganancy issues at great length to my gf.

For her labor and delivery, the private room was positively cavernous with a nice view and typical hotel ammenities. The (Thai) food was pretty good too. The total bill for four days came to 27,000 baht including surgery, take home drugs, accomodation, food, doctor's fees, some parenting magzines, photos and so on. That's a bargain in my books for a comfortable private hospital delivery.

Yes there's cheaper private hospitals in Bangkok (and I've been in many over the years) but St. Louis seems a good balance between cost and quality.

For her labor and delivery, the private room was positively cavernous with a nice view and typical hotel ammenities. The (Thai) food was pretty good too. The total bill for four days came to 27,000 baht including surgery, take home drugs, accomodation, food, doctor's fees, some parenting magzines, photos and so on. That's a bargain in my books for a comfortable private hospital delivery.

Yes there's cheaper private hospitals in Bangkok (and I've been in many over the years) but St. Louis seems a good balance between cost and quality.

Surgery? Hope nothing serious. Anyway, good to hear things are going well enough.

This is the one that gets my vote. :o

K.W had a very serious operation in Phyathai 2 last Feb.and I cant praise it highly enough.

I spent 3-4 nights on a put me up bed on the floor but was still able to nip out for a few wet ones at night when the family support teams turned up.

Doctors,nurses and aux.staff were all very good and the whole place generates confidence,efficiency and professionalism. :D

http://www.phyathai.com/phyathai2/indexeng.html.

It's all about the doctors, mostly, followed by staff and equipment...

Bamrungrad has likely the highest standards of care in Thailand (and I love their 'hotel' for disabled folks), but it ain't perfect. I've experienced some incompetency there, too. Anyone must be very proactive in their health care here. As someone pointed out, you're mostly without protections here, as hospitals and doctors are even less accountable for their mistakes then they were in the past.... During the last 4 years, the government has flattened any of the patients rights bills that were written into this constitution already, but weren't passed by parliment until the doctors and hospitals were guaranteed protection from suits...

The internet is, of course, a very good tool for research, and forums like this are invaluable for learning from others. :o