U.k., O.a.p. Payments In The Phillipines

marshbags

On behalf of a desperate local who is finding it difficult to manage in the present financial.situation / exchange rate downturn of the Pound to Baht scenario.

He noted that he can get his pension paid in the Phillipines and wondered if it was possible to re qualify for the latest OAP rates of £90.70.

His rates have been frozen since 2002 and rather than spend 6 months back in the U.K. to qualify for the increases, would like to stay in the area and reckons there is an agreement between the two countries to allow this.

Any imput / advice on his behalf would be appreciated, please.

He was also wanting to know if it was considered a sensible thing to do ?

A comparison regarding costs and accomodations against his Thai cost of living.

Visas, ect. and the time he would have to stay there to possibly achieve his objectives.

Thanks in advance for any advice or observations.

marshbags :o

Why anyone has their pensions paid outside of the UK I do not know. Just need a bank account. I know your friend has not done that but you surely don't have to go to the post office every week for your pension anymore do you ? Perhaps the better idea would be to think about how he can get back to pretending he lives in the UK. There are other NHS issues people keep talking about as well. I presume he would have to go back once at least but perhaps he has family who would allow him to "live" there ?

At present, at Bt60 for £1, his £90 per week is work Bt23,400 a month.

I understand visas are much easier in the Pi. Apart from that I know very little I am afraid. Only that accommodation for people on holiday seems more expensive but that beer is cheaper.

Why anyone has their pensions paid outside of the UK I do not know. Just need a bank account. I know your friend has not done that but you surely don't have to go to the post office every week for your pension anymore do you ? Perhaps the better idea would be to think about how he can get back to pretending he lives in the UK. There are other NHS issues people keep talking about as well. I presume he would have to go back once at least but perhaps he has family who would allow him to "live" there ?

At present, at Bt60 for £1, his £90 per week is work Bt23,400 a month.

I understand visas are much easier in the Pi. Apart from that I know very little I am afraid. Only that accommodation for people on holiday seems more expensive but that beer is cheaper.

Thanks for the much appreciated imput, T.

He was registered there and gave his sons / sister in laws address, she got a visit from the dhss for some reason and instead of backing him up, panicked and told him not to use the home base anymore.

He then thought he had no alternative but to register in Thailand.

I advised him to go home for the required time to get it re instated to present levels but he said he was worried in case they again checked his whereabouts.

I said, tell them you came home due to financial difficulties, no insurance ect. ect., stay for the qualifiying period and also that the authorities should provide him with accomodation and support while he,s there and not to worry.

Being older he is worrying mega style and is frightened to be left unsupported there.

He told me he is already paid via a U.K. banking facility ???????? He didn,t go into detail on this one.

His monthly pension is now down to 16,000 and after covering his outgoings, plus his visa obligations, he doesn,t have much left for emergencies ect.

Any further imput would be welcomed please.

I,ll be seeing him on his grocery run for the limited Tesco cheapies next week, hopefully.

I will then collate any advice and pass it on to him.

Yet another sad case of a paid up citizen being made 2cnd class in the cause of the ones that haven,t ???? Ahemmmmmmmm

Check the pensions website http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/s..._agreements.asp

UK State Pension is payable in the

Philippines at the same rate as if you

were living in the UK.

In the same way, you will get the same

rate of Philippine pension in the UK as

you would if you were in the Philippines.

As I read it he is entitled to a full pension and should contact them re upgrading and back payment.

Check the pensions website http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/s..._agreements.asp

were living in the UK.

As I read it he is entitled to a full pension and should contact them re upgrading and back payment.

Thanks for the info J.C.

Now it,s the visa side of things that have to be sorted.

I,ve read on the forum that someone recommmends getting a 59 day visa from the Bankok Phillipines embassy and then i guess it,s a case of applying for a further extension when he needs it.

What are the latest requirements re documentation if anyone knows please ? photo,s and photo copies ect.

were living in the UK.

Thanks for the info J.C.

I,ve read on the forum that someone recommmends getting a 59 day visa from the Bankok Phillipines embassy and then i guess it,s a case of applying for a further extension when he needs it.

What are the latest requirements re documentation if anyone knows please ? photo,s and photo copies ect.

Think you may find he will not be entitled to the increases the pensioners get in the UK and will be frozen at that amount from the day he left.

If living in EU Europe or Australia he would get the increases. There has been a court case going on the UK for years over this, British Pensioners living in South Africa sued the British goverment over this exact issue and never got anywhere, but believe this case is before the EU court based on grounds of discrimination, as British pensioners living in certain countries will get the increase, while other living in other countries (Thailand, South Africa etc) do not...

Think you may find he will not be entitled to the increases the pensioners get in the UK and will be frozen at that amount from the day he left.

If you check my link above you will note that the Phillipines is one of those countries that has a reciprocal agreement for benefits whilst Thailand does not hence the anomaly that is currently being fought out in the European Courts. the link clearly states that the state pension for those qualified and now living in the countries listed (The Phillipines is included) will be paid at the same rate as that in UK.

If you check my link above you will note that the Phillipines is one of those countries that has a reciprocal agreement for benefits whilst Thailand does not hence the anomaly that is currently being fought out in the European Courts. the link clearly states that the state pension for those qualified and now living in the countries listed (The Phillipines is included) will be paid at the same rate as that in UK.

Hi

Yes John C is correct. I would guess his relatives were worried about losing benifit&/or having to pay Council Tax for an extra Adult. This can be easily worked round as long as it is known the 'expat lodger' does not live in one abode more than 2 nights a week. So a story must be agreed that 'he/she' is staying in a few places on a regular basis but nowhere more than the 2 day per week. A correspondence address could still be at any UK address BTW.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

were living in the UK.

Thanks for the info J.C.

If living in EU Europe or Australia he would get the increases. There has been a court case going on the UK for years over this, British Pensioners living in South Africa sued the British goverment over this exact issue and never got anywhere, but believe this case is before the EU court based on grounds of discrimination, as British pensioners living in certain countries will get the increase, while other living in other countries (Thailand, South Africa etc) do not...

The case was rejected by a 6-1 majority on the 04-11-2008

Basically they agree with the UK,s refusal on the grounds that ( basically ) anyone living overseas in these circumstances, do so voluntarily and as such can also move back should they wish to do so to re qualify for whatever they are allowed in terms of present day OAP rates.

Irrespective of any personal reasons not to do so ???????????

Following on for this OAP.

How long would he have to spend in the U.K. to requalify for the reinstatement of the present allowances ?

Not back dated but just the increase as and when he has re qualified as a resident.

Assuming he gets this and goes abroad again sometime after, when would they put a new freeze on his updated pension, please ?

On his behalf as of this mornings meeting.

Thank you for any imput.

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

• 4 weeks later...
UK State Pension is payable in the Philippines at the same rate as if you were living in the UK. In the same way, you will get the same rate of Philippine pension in the UK as you would if you were in the Philippines.
Thanks for the info J.C. Now it,s the visa side of things that have to be sorted. I,ve read on the forum that someone recommmends getting a 59 day visa from the Bankok Phillipines embassy and then i guess it,s a case of applying for a further extension when he needs it. What are the latest requirements re documentation if anyone knows please ? photo,s and photo copies ect. marshbags :o
Think you may find he will not be entitled to the increases the pensioners get in the UK and will be frozen at that amount from the day he left. If living in EU Europe or Australia he would get the increases. There has been a court case going on the UK for years over this, British Pensioners living in South Africa sued the British goverment over this exact issue and never got anywhere, but believe this case is before the EU court based on grounds of discrimination, as British pensioners living in certain countries will get the increase, while other living in other countries (Thailand, South Africa etc) do not...
The case was rejected by a 6-1 majority on the 04-11-2008 Basically they agree with the UK,s refusal on the grounds that ( basically ) anyone living overseas in these circumstances, do so voluntarily and as such can also move back should they wish to do so to re qualify for whatever they are allowed in terms of present day OAP rates. Irrespective of any personal reasons not to do so ??????????? Following on for this OAP. How long would he have to spend in the U.K. to requalify for the reinstatement of the present allowances ? Not back dated but just the increase as and when he has re qualified as a resident. Assuming he gets this and goes abroad again sometime after, when would they put a new freeze on his updated pension, please ? On his behalf as of this mornings meeting. Thank you for any imput. marshbags :D

I was recently back in the UK and I made out to the pension authorities that I had returned from Thailand for good. As I am 62 years of age, I queried the possibilities of getting 'pension credits' (something one can get between the ages of 60-65, although means tested). I was informed that I had to be a resident before I could qualify and that meant that I would have to reside in the UK for 6 months and 1 day. I assume therefore that your friend would have to be living in the UK for that length of time to get his pension up-rated.

On behalf of a desperate local who is finding it difficult to manage in the present financial.situation / exchange rate downturn of the Pound to Baht scenario.

He noted that he can get his pension paid in the Phillipines and wondered if it was possible to re qualify for the latest OAP rates of £90.70.

His rates have been frozen since 2002 and rather than spend 6 months back in the U.K. to qualify for the increases, would like to stay in the area and reckons there is an agreement between the two countries to allow this.

Any imput / advice on his behalf would be appreciated, please.

He was also wanting to know if it was considered a sensible thing to do ?

A comparison regarding costs and accomodations against his Thai cost of living.

Visas, ect. and the time he would have to stay there to possibly achieve his objectives.

Thanks in advance for any advice or observations.

The 'bad news' is that should your friend return to the U.K., to get his pension uprated, as soon as he returns to Thailand his pension reverts to the original amount being paid!!

Check out this post about Permanent Residency in The Philippines

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Permanent-Re...es-t195670.html

For this option, you need to deposit $20,000 (if 50 or over) in a Philippines "Nominated" Bank, but after a few months can use the money to buy a Condo or House (on leased land) and still retain you "Long Term Visa"

This allows you to live in the Philippines and still pop back to Thailand whenever you like...

This reminds me of we who are on disability benefits (DLA). Since a "motocyce" accident in Thailand I've been able to work again in Thailand (not exactly disabled friendly is the country) and have to remain in the UK for 2/3 of the year. It seems illogical not to pay DLA outside of your own country as - after say 60 yeas of age - it would save them literally £££millions in health care to live abroad. Other EU countries probably took this into their calculations and most pay it. But dear old UK governments, like the index related retirement pension - not a chance son.